Why does it take so long to boot?

Especially with a large SD card with lots of MP3s on it. I currently have about 6000 songs in internal+external memory. It seems to me that unless something has changed on the internal or external memory Fuze+ should cache a all song info to avoid rereading again. I think that it would be possible to detect changes made to the external memory while the SD card is in the Fuze+. For changes made to it while not in the player it would be better if we had an option to rescan the card manually rather than the automatic scan that seems to happen everytime you boot. Thoughts?

1.) What is “so long”?

2.) Have you updated the firmwre to the latest release?

I tested my fuze+ and my clip+ for reference. A 8GB card could only be read by the clip+ :cry: Fuze+ says card error, format to fat32…

Fuze+

Fuze+: 8GB , 2.5 GB used, Version 02.38.06P

without external card: 15 Secs

with 16GB Card, 12 GB used 40 Secs

Clip+

Clip+ 8GB,   5GB used, Version 01.02.13P

without external Card   5 secs

with Card 8GB, 3 GB used : 6 secs

with 16GB Card, 12 GB used 6 secs

Other Brand, MP4-Player, 8GB internal memory, no extension slot, 6GB used: 10 Secs

go figure…

Sounds like something may be amiss with that 8GB card.  Have you tried formatting the SD card with an application like the SD formatter application?   If you like, later today, I can find the link for you.

I like using the Fuze+ in MTP mode personally, as MTP is a bit faster (and easier for the Fuze+).  With earlier platforms, the database refresh was even omitted if no file transfers had taken place.  The Fuze+ likes to examine all media upon startup, a process that’s been a running issue.

Consolidating the database has been progressively tackled with subsequent firmware releases, so the latest firmware is a good start.  The platfrom of the Fuze+ is based upon the Freescale processor, so as you’ve seen, the Clip handles things differently.

Be sure that your ID3 tag information and album art are correct using a utility like MP3Tag.  The Fuze+ start up speed is improved if it isn’t straining through the metatata.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

“So long” = over 1 minute. Yes, I do have the latest firmware but it did not make a difference.

For the non-recognized card. I had gotten a 32GB class 4 card and I had the same issue. Sandisk support said use class 2. Exchanged the card and it worked. Go figure!

This is so sad.  I have just bought this Fuze+ and all I have are class 4 or higher.  Now I need to go to get some class 2 cards? 

@dirk02 wrote:

I tested my fuze+ and my clip+ for reference. A 8GB card could only be read by the clip+ :cry: Fuze+ says card error, format to fat32…

Other Brand, MP4-Player, 8GB internal memory, no extension slot, 6GB used: 10 Secs

Mine did the same from new but popping on the latest firmware cured it. I’m using 16gbHC class.