Why are prices based on color?

Seriously, why is a blue Fuze $80 and a black one $60? Not even Apple has prices based on color!

Perhaps because a blue Fuze has more memory than a black one?

No, they’re both 4 GB:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb\_ss\_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sansa+fuze+4+gb&x=0&y=0

I’ve seen this same range at other online retailers, too. I’m just trying to understand it.

it’s cheaper to make certain colors then others… Apple probably gets away with it cause they are overcharging your for their products.

@g33z3r wrote:
Seriously, why is a blue Fuze $80 and a black one $60? Not even Apple has prices based on color!

Because they know that people looking for a specific color (other than black) will pay it!

i think your wrong tape. exampel red leds costm ore then blue leds to make.

@g33z3r wrote:

No, they’re both 4 GB:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb\_ss\_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sansa+fuze+4+gb&x=0&y=0

I’ve seen this same range at other online retailers, too. I’m just trying to understand it.

Click through to get the details.  They are from different sellers.  The blue one is from “Blue Proton”, the black one is from “A1Books”.  Amazon is acting as a soft of broker for them, and doesn’t set the prices.  The pink one and the red one are from “BuyNow Incorporated” for even less.  Even less than the black 2GB that IS from Amazon.

One reason for different prices from the same seller/retailer could be related to the availability of a particular color.

Actually, the Tapemeister is correct.  If the capacity is the same, the price difference is one of the subtleties of retail.  You can simply source the Fuze from another vendor.  SanDisk does not base the price upon color, but color is used on special models.

The 4GB Clip was debuted in silver metallic, and the 8GB Fuze was released in silver metallic or black, depending upon the market.  The 2GB Clip is available in several colors (all the same price), but the 1GB base model is available solely in black.

If you look a bit, you can fine your favorite color Fuze at a reasonable price.

Oh, and if you’re wondering, I’d like a black 8GB Fuze for Christmas.  (My 2GB is also black)

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I found a couple differences after my baby opened her gift:

> The red Fuze didn’t have the black foam on the earbuds–we had to put them on. My black one already had the foam on.

> The red Fuze has firmware version 02.01.09. I thought the latest version was 1.01.15?

> The packaging is different, but I imagine everyone already knows that.

I loaded up 4 GB of music, and she’s very happy with it.

Maybe the firmware got glitched when they put it on the Fuze? AFAIK, you are right in thinking that 1.01.15 is the latest firmware.

As we found out in another thread here this weekend there are some new Fuzes hitting the mraket and are in people’s hands right now with a yet-unknown firmware version V02.O1.09. Sansafix , our resident SanDisk representative in off on weekends, so to be on the safe side I would advise:

For anybody that has received a new Fuze recently with firmware version V02.O1.09(A or other designation), please DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE until we find out more about it. Trying to install firmware not designed for your particular model could DAMAGE your new toy beyond repair!

I’m sure we will be ‘updated’ on this Monday. Please watch the other thread I linked to, or look for a new ‘sticky’ at the top of the Fuze board for details and/or information about this. It might also be posted in the Announcements board on the main page.

All,

No worries,  the Fuze 1.x.x firmware will not update  with v 2.x.x and vice versa.

@tapeworm wrote:

As we found out in another thread here this weekend there are some new Fuzes hitting the mraket and are in people’s hands right now with a yet-unknown firmware version V02.O1.09. Sansafix , our resident SanDisk representative in off on weekends, so to be on the safe side I would advise:

For anybody that has received a new Fuze recently with firmware version V02.O1.09(A or other designation), please DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE until we find out more about it. Trying to install firmware not designed for your particular model could DAMAGE your new toy beyond repair!

I’m sure we will be ‘updated’ on this Monday. Please watch the other thread I linked to, or look for a new ‘sticky’ at the top of the Fuze board for details and/or information about this. It might also be posted in the Announcements board on the main page.

the new ones are a new hardware revision just like the clip. you now have hardware revision 1 and 2 for fuze as well as clip. no change in functionality just different hardware is used.

02.01.09 is the latest for the new fuze hardware revision.

Message Edited by drlucky on 12-08-2008 04:00 PM

The Fuze loads the firmware binary after a self test.  If it sees an acceptable .bin file in the root directory, it loads the file as a firmware update.  This is the digital equivalent of the hermit crab.

It stands to reason that it knows whether it’s a valid file.

Actually, this is the primary obstacle to simply loading a new Rockbox firmware build.  The Fuze is intelligent enough to know if the binary is valid.  Cool, huh?

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Actually, this is the primary obstacle to simply loading a new Rockbox firmware build.  The Fuze is intelligent enough to know if the binary is valid.  Cool, huh?

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends on your point of view. I doubt if all the people working on porting Rockbox to the Fuze thinks it’s that cool. :stuck_out_tongue: