Who uses ReplayGain & do you like it?

So far this forum has been a great help on my road to setting up my music library!  Another question I’ve been wondering about has to do with ReplayGain.  Does the free version of MediaMonkey allow you to use it or do you need to buy the gold copy?  Is it easy to use?  Does it work well or is it a waste of time?  Does it work with just MP3s or can it do WMAs too?  Thanks again all!

I use the free version of Media Monkey to analyze volume [tools button] for use with ReplayGain and it is easy to use and it works well, especially if you like to mix your tracks.  I don’t use WMA so can’t comment on that, but why not try the free version on these tracks anyway and see what happens: what have you got to loose…  Have fun.  

ReplayGain seems to work with both mp3 and wma songs, for me…very handy if you like to shuffle your songs, it will keep them fairly close in volume to each other, assuming you analyze your music by track volume. The free version of MM is all that you need, and all that I had until just recently. (and if you search the forum, somewhere in here are instructions for switching the mp3 encoder in the free version, that expires after X number of days, with one that lasts forever).:wink:

Never use shuffle mode, so replaygain is a non-issue for me.  I listen to an album from start to finish as the artist and God intented.

I use MP3Gain. No, it doesn’t work with .wma files, but it also doesn’t depend on whether the player supports ReplayGain or not. It appends the ID3 tag with the + or - gain info and doesn’t actually change the file itself. You can always modify, edit, or completely remove whatever gain is applied as needed or wanted.

I just analyzed all my songs (I use WinAmp) and I’m very pleased with the difference it’s made.

Once again, great info is coming in!  :smileyvery-happy: 

I did do a search for switching the free version of MediaMonkey over, but couldn’t find it. 

I found this note in the thread for using ReplayGain “Fuze does not support APEv2 tags used by MP3Gain”.  Again, looks like greek to me with the APEv2 talk, but…

WinAmp.  Okay.  Another program to check out.

You guys rock!

Just found the mp3 encoder that should let MediaMonkey work.  I’ll have to try it when I get home.

Also checked out WinAmps site.  It looked cool too!

I tried Media Monkey, but it (sadly) locked up my internet connection.  Didn’t explore why that might be happening, I just got aggravated. :smileyvery-happy:   I do love WinAmp, though.

KellyR wrote:

Just found the mp3 encoder that should let MediaMonkey work.  I’ll have to try it when I get home.

Also checked out WinAmps site.  It looked cool too!

One thing about Winamp…I don’t know if you can do the free LAME encoder switcharoo with Winamp like you can with Mediamonkey.

One thing about Winamp…I don’t know if you can do the free LAME encoder switcharoo with Winamp like you can with Mediamonkey.

Marvin, could you explain please?  I *think* I know what you’re referring to but I’d like to know from you.  Thanks!

I use replaygain for all my audiobooks.

The program I use to apply it to my mp3’s is foobar2000.

Replaygain’s great. I’ve scanned my whole collection with Foobar2000 and it definitely makes listening to shuffled tracks a more pleasant experience. Even with albums it’s nice when you have a mix of quiet 80s CDs and modern loudness war victims.

oreosmeow wrote:

Marvin, could you explain please?  I *think* I know what you’re referring to but I’d like to know from you.  Thanks!

You have to buy the Winamp Pro version in order to be able to rip LAME .mp3’s. It’s only 20 bucks though; well worth it in my opinion.

Tapeworm wrote:

oreosmeow wrote:

You have to buy the Winamp Pro version in order to be able to rip LAME .mp3’s. It’s only 20 bucks though; well worth it in my opinion.

Tapeworm is correct, that is what I was referring to.

@tapeworm wrote:

@oreosmeow wrote:

Tapeworm is correct, that is what I was referring to.

Thank you very much, both of you.  That’s what I thought you were getting at, just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something deeper than that.  :smiley:  Thus far, I’ve not started ripping CDs, so it’s a moot point…thus far.   I suspect the point will become un-moot (oooh, a new word!) shortly and I’ll upgrade then.

Well, I got MediaMonkey to work, ripped a cd, & analyzed the tracks.  It seemed easy enough to do, but in general had a hard time using MM compared to WMP.  With WMP when I rip a cd it goes in the My Doc - My Music folder, but MM put it in it’s own folder called Music on the C drive.  I had deleted most of my music because it was in a format my Fuze didn’t support, just planned on re-ripping, but MM listed all my deleted music in the library anyways.  I finally figured out how to clear the library & then import just what was currently in there, but there was this annoying folder listed as “Unknown” that it wouldn’t let me delete.  If I continue with it I guess I’ll go to the MM forum to try to figure it out better.  Does anybody know though if you can use both MSC & MTP modes with MM?  Thanks!

Use it with FLAC and MP3 constantly.

Love it.

I use Foobar 2000 to apply it.

Message Edited by roj on 02-23-2010 05:15 PM

KellyR wrote:
Well, I got MediaMonkey to work, ripped a cd, & analyzed the tracks.  It seemed easy enough to do, but in general had a hard time using MM compared to WMP.  With WMP when I rip a cd it goes in the My Doc - My Music folder, but MM put it in it’s own folder called Music on the C drive.  I had deleted most of my music because it was in a format my Fuze didn’t support, just planned on re-ripping, but MM listed all my deleted music in the library anyways.  I finally figured out how to clear the library & then import just what was currently in there, but there was this annoying folder listed as “Unknown” that it wouldn’t let me delete.  If I continue with it I guess I’ll go to the MM forum to try to figure it out better.  Does anybody know though if you can use both MSC & MTP modes with MM?  Thanks!

Yes, you can. I use it on all three of my players…my Sansa and my Samsung are currently in MSC mode,  my Sony is MTP-only, and I have used the Samsung in MTP as well, and MM works just fine either way.

MM will seem a bit confusing at first, compared to WMP, but stick with it, and you’ll end up realizing just how much better it is for your audio needs. You can even use it to collect and download podcasts for you. Even on my Windows 7 computer, I don’t use the newest WMP, #12…except for watching DVD’s. The first non-Windows program loaded on this computer was MediaMonkey.:smiley: