When Will We Return?

Have a good look at this, and reflect on what you see.

Earth, as photographed from the surface of the moon, in 1969.  What a beautiful sight to behold.  We once had, as a nation, the burning desire to explore, to learn about the world from beyond terra firma.  It isn’t computer graphics, digital manipulation, but a 6 by 6 centimeter frame taken from a Hasselblad.  By a human being, encpsulated in a space suit, risking life itself in the hard vacuum of space, no less.

We watched grainy video, television images fed through a ground station, and collectively cheered as Neil Armstrong announced the triumph “for all mankind”. 

It’s been a few years since that day.  Today, our children have little understanding of what it took to reach that goal, and just how wonderful it was for all of us.  Our leaders flounder over the issues of the day, and spend many times more than the entire project cost, even if we compare the outlay allowing for the changing value of the dollar, all in the name of political expediency.

Above is a view of the familiar face of the Moon, plus “the dark side” we cannot see from Earth.

I pray that we will again find the will to return there.  Perhaps I’ll be a grandfather when we do.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

We watched grainy video, television images fed through a ground station, and collectively cheered as Neil Armstrong announced the triumph “for all mankind”. 

It’s been a few years since that day.  Today, our children have little understanding of what it took to reach that goal, and just how wonderful it was for all of us.   Our leaders flounder over the issues of the day, and spend many times more than the entire project cost, even if we compare the outlay allowing for the changing value of the dollar, all in the name of political expediency.

Above is a view of the familiar face of the Moon, plus “the dark side” we cannot see from Earth.

I pray that we will again find the will to return there.  Perhaps I’ll be a grandfather when we do.

Hey! I do not have little understanding about what it took to achieve our goal. Some kids do know how much it took to get our dream and some kids, Well, just treat it like it’s nothing. Believe me I know a bunch.

Even i wonder when we will have proof that aliens exist and rub it in to all of the kids in my school who said “Aliens don’t exist so don’t be stupid” Ha!

sansafinder wrote:

Even i wonder when we will have proof that aliens exist and rub it in to all of the kids in my school who said “Aliens don’t exist so don’t be stupid” Ha!

That’s what I find to be so wonderful about science in general, the more we discover, the more we can understand and our perceptions grow and change.

Those kids that think aliens can never exist aren’t open-minded enough.   Remember, centuries ago, people were absolutely, without a doubt certain that the world was flat, with monsters at the end of the ocean waiting to gobble up anyone who dare to go there, and the sun circled the earth.

There are 100+ billion stars in our galaxy, and at least as many galaxies in the universe. Although we can’t yet detect Earth-like planets around other stars, we now know there are planets out there. I think it’s incredibly arrogant to believe that our tiny little corner of the universe is the only place “special” enough to give birth to life. Even the Pope has acknowledged the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

I am skeptical about whether we’ve been visited by aliens though. Our galactic neighbors would still be subject to the same troublesome laws of physics, after all.

@gwk1967 wrote:

I am skeptical about whether we’ve been visited by aliens though. Our galactic neighbors would still be subject to the same troublesome laws of physics, after all.

I agree, because if they’d been here, they’d still be in orbit, laughing hysterically at our idiocy :smileyvery-happy:

where’s that song?

oh, here it is…

♪♫Fly me to the moon…♪♫

I’m more interested in what’s going on with the rover Spirit on Mars.  Will NASA ever be able to get it free and unstuck from the sand?

I just wonder when Optimus Prime and the Autobots come to earth And Megatron destroys a whole city. Maybe then people will believe. I mean it’s stupid to think we are the only living planet In the whole giant big universe. Of course we can’t change other people’s opinions.

The rover _ Spirit _ is five years along in a mission that was originally designed to last a few months. Now, how’s that for “borrowed time”?

To unseat the rover, they might work out a program to upload to the rover after trying it out here on the Earth based test bed.  The rover is quite a distance away, meaning that real-time radio control is not possible.

Depending upon the Mars season, a wind storm might just help us out.  I would love to see the photographs that Spirit has taken of its current position.

Optimus Prime come to earth!!! I must see you!!!

@neutron_bob wrote:

The rover _ Spirit _ is five years along in a mission that was originally designed to last a few months. Now, how’s that for “borrowed time”?

To unseat the rover, they might work out a program to upload to the rover after trying it out here on the Earth based test bed.  The rover is quite a distance away, meaning that real-time radio control is not possible.

Depending upon the Mars season, a wind storm might just help us out.  I would love to see the photographs that Spirit has taken of its current position.

I hope they’ll be able to figure out a way to get Spirit free before the end of the year.

During it’s early days on Mars, when NASA had to drive it backwards because it’s front wheel got jammed and the dragging front wheel dug into the soft Martian soil, exposing silica ---- that was a classic case of serendipity.

@neutron_bob wrote:

Earth, as photographed from the surface of the moon, in 1969.  What a beautiful sight to behold.  We once had, as a nation, the burning desire to explore, to learn about the world from beyond terra firma.  It isn’t computer graphics, digital manipulation, but a 6 by 6 centimeter frame taken from a Hasselblad.  By a human being, encpsulated in a space suit, risking life itself in the hard vacuum of space, no less.

It’s been a few years since that day.  Today, our children have little understanding of what it took to reach that goal, and just how wonderful it was for all of us.  Our leaders flounder over the issues of the day, and spend many times more than the entire project cost, even if we compare the outlay allowing for the changing value of the dollar, all in the name of political expediency.

Seems that the chances are you won’t have to wait until you’re a grandfather.  Man (I know, not PC) may be there again in an estimated 5 to 7 years.

http://www.aresrocket.com/

As for the rover Spirit, I downloaded the 2009-2010 calendar that includes incredible photos of mars and the rover. 

http://marsrover.nasa.gov/home/calendar/MER-2009-2010-calendar.pdf

The barrenness of Mars only makes me appreciate much more than before how awesome nature is here on Earth.

I just want the aliens to quit hiding and show up. Not if they are trying to take over the world.

@sansafinder wrote:
I just want the aliens to quit hiding and show up. Not if they are trying to take over the world.

To them,  we are the aliens. They might be thinking the exact same thing.

Good point. They may still be be cavemen (or something like that) while we are modern. or they could already have lightspeed travel in space. Who knows ?

I prefer that we discover them, on their planet.  Then we can see how they live.

I’ve read the news.  According to Barack Obama, FedEx shipment is the solution to the International Space Station.

As for the Moon?  Wallace and Gromit will remain the last travelers to Luna.

As you can see, Wallace is looking dapper, ready for the talk show circuit and assorted speaking engagements.

Last time I looked, the United States is in a crisis situation, with a very short memory regarding the benefits of space exploration.  If you were born here, good luck in your pursuit of an advanced sciences degree.  There is a precipitous vacuum in aerospace design, research, and production.  The administration’s solution is to throw a few dollars into the beaureaucracy of NASA.

Well done, indeed.

If we would like this country to advance in the sciences and technology sectors, those who are in power today were oblivious to the happenings of the 1960s.  Flower power, baby.  We need a common vision like back then.  Well, who am I to know?

Bob  :cry:

There can’t be aliens as long as there are people that believe in a big guy in the sky that created us all. He/She/It couldn’t have created other beings, surely.

Unless George Carlin is right. “Our” God is only the western marketing manager. The “real” God is to busy creating supoernovas and black holes to be concerned about us.

Our concept of God is tempered by what we understand, and what we are comfortable with.  God makes supernovae for the simple task of creating heavy nuclei for building material.  Hydrogen has its limitations, you know.

I think God finds supernovae to be pretty, too.  One has to play a bit, creation has to include a bit of fun.

We are but a tiny part of his creations out there.  I hope he’s pleased with our quest to understand it all.

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 02-02-2010 07:52 PM

The first thing that it takes is a culture that values such things. The Apoolo program could not have been set into motion in a pre-stechnological culture nor in a “post-induxtrial” culture (after 1975). You need a strong scientific and manufacturing base for this kind of thing. The foundation of that culture was laid down in the post-war culture, as an extension of Western thought dating back to Aristotle. As part of that cultural zeitgeist, I offer the following:

http://spacepatrol.us