When to recharge?

Hello all. I just got my Clip+ yesterday. I used it today for an hour and wonder when it is best to recharge. Do we top it off, or wait 'til it is down X%? Of course, when we add songs it starts charging anyway.

You should have done an initial charge before using the player.  Whether you use the USB port or a wall adaptor (what I use) is up to you.  Charge for at least a few hours to begin with.  Today batteries should not be allowed to drain completely before rechaging (mainly Lithium ones).  Do a test run to see how long your player lasts before the charge indicator is near the empty mark-then you will know.

Message Edited by jc836 on 03-19-2010 07:25 PM

@jc836 wrote:
You should have done an initial charge before using the player.  Whether you use the USB port or a wall adaptor (what I use) is up to you.  Charge for at least a few hours to begin with.  Today batteries should not be allowed to drain completely before rechaging (mainly Lithium ones).  Do a test run to see how long your player lasts before the charge indicator is near the empty mark-then you will know.
Message Edited by jc836 on 03-19-2010 07:25 PM

Thank you. Yes, I did do a full charge before I used it the first time and it was at 100%. I only used it an hour, so was asking if I should “top it off” or wait 'til it is down…say 50%.

Lithium-ion (or Lithium-polymer) batteries such as used in the Clip+ should be charged every time time you use the device.  Li-Ion/Li-Po will not be harmed by such frequent top-off charge cycles, and in fact, these batteries last longer when the charge is kept above about 70%.  (On the other hand, they are harmed by deep-cycling)

The typical 300-500 charge cycles figure assumes full discharge / full charge; a full discharge/charge cycle is equivalent to multiple partial discharge/charge cycles.  So you don’t have to worry about using up your 300 cycles too quickly by frequent top-off charging (partial charging).

You might try 

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

The batteries are very well-mannered and forgiving.  You can charge them whenever you want–there is no need to charge them every time or any time, apart from not letting them run down completely.  Super!

At the Battery University site they mention that if a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery is to be left unused for a long period of time, it should be kept at a 50% charge level and not a full charge, to minimize the permanent decay of the battery. This is especially important at high temperatures. At least once a month the battery should be brought down to a low level, to keep the battery indicator properly calibrated. I do wonder though about the effect of partially charging the battery, when some charge is added, but the battery isn’t brought to full. Everyone talks about going from a 50% or 70 or 80% charge to full, but how about lets say going from a 30% to a 60% or 70% charge, or going from a 50% to an 80% charge? Often people might not have enough time to charge the battery until it is full.

Thank you all. At least I do not have to worry too much about it. As I said I only used about an hour of the full charge, so may leave it alone. I only have 1 folder on it now of music, so it will charrge when I add more music anyway.

High temperatures are bad all around for Li-Po batteries, especially during charging but also in general.  Anything above 95F/35C, but especially above about 120F/50C where things get really ugly. (Try to not leave it in a hot car all day in summer.)

If you store a Li-Po battery at standard room temperature or about 25C/77C, and it is self-discharging at about 5% per month, then after a few months the charge level declines plus the moderate temperature is easier on it anyway.  Once again, no need to be too concerned about it in that case - you don’t have to go to the trouble of trying to store it at 50% charge or etc.

If you are storing/using it at elevated temperatures, various degradations occur that will shorten its life in various ways.