Wheels

For all those people out there that have used the Clip and the Clip +, which do you perfer: the Clip’s circular scroll wheel of the Clip +'s square wheel?

Personally, I prefer the look and the “bling” of the circular lighted wheel; I also like the contrast of the wheel with all the rectangular elements of the Clip (the total size, the display, etc.).  Although I’ve gotten to like the look of the somewhat blocky rectangular wheel, and appreciate it’s solid construction.

But then, I also tend to prefer the general design of the original Clip to the Clip+:  less blocky and with a bit more style.

Miikerman wrote:

Personally, I prefer the look and the “bling” of the circular lighted wheel; I also like the contrast of the wheel with all the rectangular elements of the Clip (the total size, the display, etc.).  Although I’ve gotten to like the look of the somewhat blocky rectangular wheel, and appreciate it’s solid construction.

But then, I also tend to prefer the general design of the original Clip to the Clip+:  less blocky and with a bit more style.

I prefer the Clip+ look. The useless lit-up wheel is gone, and it didn’t make sense to have a wheel that didn’t spin, did it? :wink: Also, I like the volume being on the other side from the headphone jack.

I really have no reason to prefer one over the other.  The feel of my e280’s wheel is great on the one hand; on the other I like the Clip+ rectangular press the function feel-very tactile.

Since I own a Fuse in addition to my Clip+, I prefer the square controls for the Clip+, just so I am not trying to rotate the circular wheel (that does not want to rotate) and differentiate the two units. I’ve since passed on my older Clip to my wife so I don’t have to use it and confuse myself.

Otherwise, I prefer the Plus’ more robust clip design.  I always felt that the Clip’s clip was too fragile and will not last long with normal use.  Overall, the Clip+ just feels much more robust and sturdy.

Are you buying for looks or function?  Personally I like the looks of the Clip over the Clip+ and agree the clip on the Clip+ is more substantial but liked the idea that I could remove the clip on the original Clip.  However, I sacrifice looks for function 99.9% of the time.  You get a couple of new features on the Clip+ but it’s basically the same as the Clip with what is IMO a critical differenc in that the Clip+ memory capacity is expandable through the micro SD card and the contents are integrated (Creative Zen, Zen Xi-fi have an expansion slot but it isn’t integrated meaning you don’t have simultaneous access to what’s in internal memory and what’s on the card).  I had a 4GB Clip and bought a 2GB for my 9 yr old son because it was so inexpensive.  I upgraded to the Clip+ 8GB and added a 16GB micro sd card and may go to a 32GB card when the prices come down.  I gave my son the 4GB player and keep the 2GB player as a spare.  With the Clip+ 8GB plus 16GB micro sd I have a 24GB player with one of the best sound qualities in the market and only paid a little over $100.  Quite the bargain!

Marvin_Martian wrote:

I prefer the Clip+ look. The useless lit-up wheel is gone, and it didn’t make sense to have a wheel that didn’t spin, did it? :wink: Also, I like the volume being on the other side from the headphone jack.

How dare you say that the Clip’s lighted wheel is useless.  It is pure form over function, and purty.   ;) 

Miikerman wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

How dare you say that the Clip’s lighted wheel is useless.  It is pure form over function, and purty.   ;) 

Pretty, yes…but blinding in the dark if you even touched the volume! :wink:

I have to admit it, the blue glow is my thing!  If the original Clip had a scroll wheel, that would have been very cool.

The interface of teh new Clip+ is a welcome improvement, I’m sure you’ll agree.

On the subject of scroll wheels, the e200 series has much finer control than the Fuze, thanks to its smaller control arc.  Piloting the Fuze takes quite a bit more rotation than the earlier player, but both are fine in their own right.

Bob  :wink: