wheel broken

I think my scroll wheel is broken,  it doesn’t work at all.  The ring around the wheel is supposed to light up completly correct?  Well now it’s only half lit!  I’ve only had it for about 2-3 months! Can’t believe it’s broken down so fast:angry:

You’re describing two concurrent problems?  Is it a matter of incomplete illumination or does the scroll wheen not respond when rotated?

Bob  :dizzy_face:

it doesn’t respond at all!  My guess ( I could be wrong) is that like an optical mouse, the light is used for scrolling.  So since the light is dead the wheel is dead :angry:

Message Edited by baroidi on 10-18-2009 11:21 AM

sandisk customer service is absolutely ■■■■!  No more sandisk producks for me!

@baroidi wrote:

it doesn’t respond at all!  My guess ( I could be wrong) is that like an optical mouse, the light is used for scrolling.  So since the light is dead the wheel is dead  :angry:

Message Edited by baroidi on 10-18-2009 11:21 AM

I don’t think that’s the case because I disabled the light in rockbox and everything works fine. 

@baroidi wrote:
sandisk customer service is absolutely ■■■■!  No more sandisk producks for me!

Whoa, don’t make accusations so fast!

The light is there for looks.  It has absolutely no purpose, but to look good (which it does).  The wheel moves somewhat like the clickwheel on an iPod, but it’s a physical wheel.  If you’re turning that, and it’s not working, it’s broken. Call 1-866-SANDISK.  They should help you. Sandisk actually has really good service.  If it is broken, they will gladly replace it, since it is under its 1 year warranty.

Good luck! 

Message Edited by microsansa on 10-19-2009 04:01 PM

ok my guess was wrong about the light being part of the scrolling mechanism,  but the point is the wheel is dead.  I already called their customer service and it was difficult trying to resolve the problem.  After severval minutes trying to communicate with the service person (who’s english is not great),  she tells me they will send me an email and this is what I get, basically a standard cut’n’paste job:

"

Dear xxxxx,

Thanks again for calling SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk’s products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
Ana Enrique
SanDisk Technical Support    

Question Reference #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Product Level 1:  Audio / Video Player

Product Level 2:  Sansa Fuze

Product Level 3:  4GB

Product Level 4:  Black

Date Created:  10/19/2009 08:24 AM

Last Updated:  10/19/2009 04:35 PM

Region:    Question Type:    Interested in::     

Online registration is available to register your product. For presales inquires, you can chat live with one of our agents. Also, if you see this email in your spam folder, please unspam to receive future emails from SanDisk.

This is a transactional email in response to your request. SanDisk respects your privacy. Our Privacy Policy is available on our website.

"

-Status: solved?  Am I going to get an RMA so I can send this player to get fixed or not?

No worries then!  You have the requisite links in this post.  You can open a case via registering your product using the link.  Note that there’s also a Live Chat link there.  I just checked it out.  The chat uses the RightNow interface, very nice.  They can send you any needed links live if need be.

You can open a case with your wheel issue via the Support links there, and also contact Support via telephone.  The case will have an open case number when you log in to the SanDisk site.  The agent on the line (in person via telephone) can locate your issue readily, or you may initiate the process via the live chat if you prefer.  Keep track of the case number.

To return your device, they’ll send you a link to print a UPS return label.  All you need do is box the Sansa and apply the label that you can print from your computer. 

You’ll find the Support staff can be quite helpful.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: