What's For Dinner?

@conversionbox wrote:
I had “Brenner” tonight. Thats breakfast for Dinner. Homemade french toast on “Amish Sourdough bread” and Bob Evans Sausage.

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.  I live in Amish country and technincally, I’m “jerked over amish”…(people that were born into the Amish religion but no longer practice the religion)… there is no such thing as Amish Sourdough Bread… at least in my parts.

Sourdough takes too much time and must be kept alive with repeated feedings…Just too much time and trouble for the Amish people that work all day in the fields or are building barns…

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:
I had “Brenner” tonight. Thats breakfast for Dinner. Homemade french toast on “Amish Sourdough bread” and Bob Evans Sausage.

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.  I live in Amish country and technincally, I’m “jerked over amish”…(people that were born into the Amish religion but no longer practice the religion)… there is no such thing as Amish Sourdough Bread… at least in my parts.

Sourdough takes too much time and must be kept alive with repeated feedings…Just too much time and trouble for the Amish people that work all day in the fields or are building barns…

Thats what we call it. My Grandma makes it using an Amish Bread Recipe and substitues Sourdough.

@conversionbox wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

Thats what we call it. My Grandma makes it using an Amish Bread Recipe and substitues Sourdough.

Interesting…Sounds good…

Tradition calls for corned beef and cabbage, along with either Guinness, Harp, Jameson’s, etc. The small, independent restaurant I work at, the special today is …(around the plate) corned beef, cabbage, carrots, baby red potatoes, and soda bread . Tonight I will be having some corned beef, potatoes, and carrots. Never was partial to the soda bread or cabbage, and in my drinking days, I liked Harp and Jameson’s, but never acquired a taste for Guinness.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Tradition calls for corned beef and cabbage, along with either Guinness, Harp, Jameson’s, etc. The small, independent restaurant I work at, the special today is …(around the plate) corned beef, cabbage, carrots, baby red potatoes, and soda bread . Tonight I will be having some corned beef, potatoes, and carrots. Never was partial to the soda bread or cabbage, and in my drinking days, I liked Harp and Jameson’s, but never acquired a taste for Guinness.

Oh, it’s that day today?  I didn’t pay any attention…

It’s a B-I-G Holiday around here, since we don’t live too far from Notre Dame (IN, Home of the ‘fightin’ irish)…so we tend to stay home and celebrate “our way”

And it’s hard to get a good beer today around here.  It’s all the rage for the establishments to put green dye in beer today :dizzy_face:  YUCK…I think we’ll opt for a nice glass of wine instead…

Since my wife goes to a night class at the local comm. college on Tues. & Thurs. nights, I’m not doing the traditional CB & C tonite. I’ll put the brisket in the crock-pot tomorrow morning along with carrots, celery, onions & garlic, along with a couple bottles of beer and let it hang out all day and get nice & tender (and drunk) for tommorrow night.

I usually shred the cabbage, add a sliced onion & garlic and saute it rather than steaming or boiling it. A nice addition is some cooked X-tra wide egg noodles (which the other half likes) and some caraway seeds (which she doesn’t).

Don’t bother with the soda bread, and I normally roast the potatoes instead of boiling them. Gotta put a drop or 2 of green or blue food coloring in a glass of beer, though. Wouldn’t be St. Patty’s day without green beer! :stuck_out_tongue:

Picked up some points with the Boss (at work, not home) today by surprising him with a 5th of Old Bushmills Irish whisky. He’s as Irish as the day is long. Kinda hoped he’d crack the seal around quitting time today & pass it around, but no dice. Hope he enjoys the heck out of it tonight, and feels like a dog left out in the rain tomorrow! :smileyvery-happy:

Then I can tell him that wouldn’t have happened if he had ‘shared’.

8 Am- toast with milk

12pm- sandwich

3pm- another sandwich

7pm- dinner, usually kabob, lasanga or something with rice

10pm- toast

@nissanskyline wrote:

8 Am- toast with milk

12pm- sandwich

3pm- another sandwich

10pm- toast

Not on Atkins are ya? I wish I could eat that much bread!

@nissanskyline wrote:

8 Am- toast with milk

12pm- sandwich

3pm- another sandwich

10pm- toast

I like a little Van Halen on toast myself.

This is what I like on toast!

@marvin_martian wrote:

This is what I like on toast!

Really? I think Ill stick with tthe standard Butter, and If Im feeling wild Jelly.

Today, big family lunch at Red Lobster, courtesy of my aunt. Mozzarella stick appetizer, broiled scallops and chicken tenders w/fries for the meal, with raspberry lemonade to wash it down…a fine meal, although our waitress looked rather yummy too

Running the board tonight for a Big Confrence in my area, They are having a pannel discussion tonight, So I am getting marcos because its easy!

Also thought I would introduce you to my baby. An Allan Heath GL 3800 (Its my portable)(OK its not portable but its the one that travels to venues with me)

@marvin_martian wrote:
Today, big family lunch at Red Lobster, courtesy of my aunt. Mozzarella stick appetizer, broiled scallops and chicken tenders w/fries for the meal, with raspberry lemonade to wash it down…a fine meal, although our waitress looked rather yummy too

Sacrilige! Heresy!  Chicken at Red Lobster?  Aaauugh! *tenzip wails and gnashes his teeth*

I made one of my wife’s favorite meals last night.  Kind of a hybrid concoction that I adapted from Emeril’s recipe and tips I got from an old time cook/chef in New Orleans…

Chicken Etouffee

Mmmmm . . . I’d rather be eating that for breakfast than the english muffin toasting at the moment. We had left-overs; the other pork tenderloin I described a few days ago (they always come packaged in pairs) and the other half of cabbage from the St. Patty’s CB & C that I cooked up with garlic & carmelized onions. What remains of the corned beef will get sliced up for sandwiches

Still got some of that cabbage (cooked) from last night left, so I’m thinking to make a sausage & cabbage soup tonight to use it up. I took some Italian sausage out of the freezer; I’ll take off the casings & pinch it off into little morsels and brown it up. Then add that & the cooked cabbage/onions to some beef broth along with some celery, carrots and diced potatoes and maybe some green beans as well.

Some buttermilk biscuits or sourdough bread should round it out nicely.

Some of the best meals are inspired by (and use up) left-overs. :wink:

As George Peppard used to say on the A-Team, “I love it when a plan comes together!”

The sausage & cabbage soup idea last night was a winner. So much so, I’ve having it again tonight. :wink:

Parts is parts! :smileyvery-happy:

Shame on you! Imagine all those chickens running around without their nuggets. :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

Parts is parts! :smileyvery-happy:

Shame on you! Imagine all those chickens running around without their nuggets. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bob Barker would be proud, Im helping to control the pet population.