What's For Dinner?

Or supper if you’re in the Midwest.

As you might have gathered from my avatar, I like food. A ‘foodie’ is the term ‘du jour’. I enjoy slicin’ & dicin’ in the kitchen with my e280 plugged into my Sansa Base Station and rockin’ through my stereo in the other room.

My wife knows when she comes home form work & gets out of the car in the driveway that if she can hear the music out there, there’s going to be something good for din-din later.

So I thought I’d start a thread for like-minded people to share their food menus. Not a place to swap recipes per say, but rather just ideas. It can be what you’re planning to eat tonight, or what you had last night, or what you had at Grandma’s house that you liked well enough to take some leftovers home.

Heck, it doesn’t even have to be the evening meal. If you had, or are planning to have a great gastronomical experience then share it and maybe give someone else an idea for an upcoming meal. I know, for myself at least, sometimes it’s an effort & a challenge to cook something different all the time.

So tonight at the Tapeworm household, we’re having:

Roast Pork Tenderloin – marinated for 24 hrs. in a mixture of soy sauce, red wine, honey, brown sugar, ginger, garlic & cinnamon.

Authentic German Rotkohl (braised red cabbage), thickened & sweetened with red currant jelly.

Roasted whole Dutch Yellow potatoes (little yellow-skinned potatoes 1 ½ - 2” in dia.).

Dessert – Haven’t worked that one out yet. May not have room! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, Since my day usually starts between 10:00 and 12:00, my breakfast is lunch for others…so I just had lunch a few minutes ago, at 16:30…2 medium Angus burgers with American cheese and hickory & brown sugar BBQ sauce, on potato bread.  I must say, those pork tenderloins and potatoes sound good though. I’m not much of one for cabbage of any sort though. :smiley:

Very interesting.  I’m definitely a foodie too.  And I do all of the serious cooking in the family too.  My wife has serious problems with cooking, even with toast!!:smiley:

Sunday is our leisure day, so I try my best to stay out of the kitchen… So last night I made a big batch of “clean out the refrigerator” soup.  It is always tasty, but depending what I throw into it, it always tastes different.  I know this batch should be good.  When I worked in the restaurant business in my youth, we called it “Jack-A** Soup”; because the main meat ingredient was the left-over prime rib from the previous day.  What I do is save all the bones and small meat tidbits everytime we have steak or a quality roast.  When I finally have enough of these tid-bits; I make soup.  And that’s what I did last night.  I sampled a bit of it last night and it was mighty tasty.

We’ll probably have a nice green salad and some homemade potato rolls to go along with the soup.

Neither one of us are much into dessert, so we usually skip that.

BTW…Jacques Pepin is one of my heroes!!!

EDIT:  I forgot to mention, that we always start by having a great glass of wine (or 2 or…!) before we eat.  That is our “together” time, that we try never to miss.  No matter how hectic each of our days were, we always try to have this time together and eat together as well…

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 03-15-2009 02:05 PM

Remember this guy?

Jeff Smith - The Frugal Gourmet

Long live the ‘Frug’!

I’ve got an autographed picture of him hanging in my kitchen. A friend of mine once wrote to him and asked him to send it to me on my birthday and he did it!

I’ve got all his cookbooks. I can honestly thank him for sparking my interest in the culinary arts. Shame what happened later. I miss him. :cry:

@tapeworm wrote:

Remember this guy?

Jeff Smith - The Frugal Gourmet

Long live the ‘Frug’!

I’ve got an autographed picture of him hanging in my kitchen. A friend of mine once wrote to him and asked him to send it to me on my birthday and he did it!

I’ve got all his cookbooks. I can honestly thank him for sparking my interest in the culinary arts. Shame what happened later. I miss him. :cry:

Oh my yes… He was a favorite of mine as well.  I think I have all of his cookbooks too.  I agree about the tragic events that happened later.  I met him at a book signing once, and he was as sweet a person as I’ve ever met…

I hope his boys are doing well…

Marvin_Martian wrote:

I’m not much of one for cabbage of any sort though. :smiley:

You sound like my wife. She loves green cabbage, and is looking forward to St. Patty’s Day this week for my corned beef & cabbage, but she doesn’t like the German-style red cabbage. It’s sweet & sour.

I love it, but since I can’t freeze it and I’m the only one that eats it, some always gets thrown out eventually. So I only cook it once or twice a year.

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I’m not much of one for cabbage of any sort though. :smiley:

You sound like my wife.

We may sound alike, but for your sake, I hope she doesn’t look like me :dizzy_face:

I live in Amish country, IN and it is considered a crime if you don’t like red cabbage…

Luckily, I love it, so I’m allowed to stay…:smileyvery-happy:

Tonight I’m probably eating something from a fast food joint, as it looks as if I will be working into the night.

Last night, however, I cooked a roast.  My wife did the potatoes, corn, etc.  She thinks raw meat is ‘icky’ so I get to do that part, which is fine with me, as she would probably do it medium, which, in my opinion, is approximately ruined.  The correct color for the baked potato when you are done mashing butter and salt and pepper into it is pink, from the juice running out of the slab of raw-looking meat next to it.

I cut off the outside of the roast and let my wife have that, while the boys and I enjoy the pink goodness from the inside.

My culinary hero, Jacques Pepin…

Y’know? :wink:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Y’know?

:wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Y’know?

No, not personally; I’ve just admired his work over the years.  I’ve seen a ton of Chefs in my time, both on TV and in live demos, and this man has the most amazing knife skills I’ve ever seen.

OK, just got a minute; but I thought I would fill everybody in…

Monday’s we try to keep it simple and usually try to have “finger food” as we always sit around the TV watching “Dancing with the Stars” (yes, I am old)

So, tonight we are having a nice green salad (as always), leftover soup AND pizza.  And no, not that awful cardboard stuff you get in the freezer section in your local grocery store, but homemade pizza.

I worked in a Italian Bakery/Restaurant in my youth and can whip up a great pizza in a matter of minutes.  My wife and I like entirely different things on our pizzas, so I always make small individual ones, so I can top them to order.

Nothing special, but yummy…

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Y’know?

I was making fun of his speech. Haven’t you noticed, every other sentence ends in “Y’know?”

Saturdays on PBS are always (at least they used to be) cooking shows on all day. I used to work on Saturdays and would always set up the VCR to start at like 8:00 am and would fill up an entire tape (6 hrs. on slow speed). I’d watch the shows, one of which would be my fave, ‘The Frugal Gourmet’ and then tape over it the next week.

Anyway, long time ago, there was a french woman on every week; I can’t even remember her name now, it’s been so long (probably 20 years). But her ‘catch-phrase’ was always “Ehh?” “Ehh?” Gawd, she was irritating! I don’t want to say this type of speech pattern is typically French, but it is funny that these 2 people, both chefs & cooking instructors, & both just happen to come from France always follow up every statement with a question basically asking “Are you paying attention?”

I agree with you on Jacques’ knife skills though. I’ve seen him do some beautiful & intricate garnishes. In fact, I think he has a DVD on that subject alone, garnishes. You’ve got to have a very sharp knife though. Otherwise, your pinkie could actually become a ‘finger-sandwich’! :dizzy_face:

BTW, Jacques’ daughter is HOT! I hated the way she always acted so dumb on the show when she used to be on it though. She acted as though she didn’t know a paring knife from a garbage disposal.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Monday’s we try to keep it simple and usually try to have “finger food” as we always sit around the TV watching “Dancing with the Stars” (yes, I am old)

So, tonight we are having a nice green salad (as always), leftover soup AND pizza.  And no, not that awful cardboard stuff you get in the freezer section in your local grocery store, but homemade pizza.

I worked in a Italian Bakery/Restaurant in my youth and can whip up a great pizza in a matter of minutes.  My wife and I like entirely different things on our pizzas, so I always make small individual ones, so I can top them to order.

What, no Monday Night Football? (When in season, of course) :wink:

Sounds pretty yummy to me. Or as that currently very well-known, over-rated, over-exposed, over-paid, & under-talented Martha Steart wanna-be, Rachael Ray says, “Yumm-O” Blechh! I got 'yer 30-minute meal right 'ere, Babe! :stuck_out_tongue:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

What, no Monday Night Football? (When in season, of course)

Sounds pretty yummy to me. Or as that currently very well-known, over-rated, over-exposed, over-paid, & under-talented Martha Stewart wanna-be, Rachael Ray says, “Yumm-O”

Blechh! I got 'yer 30-minute meal right 'ere, Babe! :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

What, no Monday Night Football? (When in season, of course)

Sounds pretty yummy to me. Or as that currently very well-known, over-rated, over-exposed, over-paid, & under-talented Martha Stewart wanna-be, Rachael Ray says, “Yumm-O”

Blechh! I got 'yer 30-minute meal right 'ere, Babe! :stuck_out_tongue:

My grandmother is convinced that Rachael is either pregnant, or needs to back away from the cheese

Edit: speaking of which, I just had Velveeta shells and cheese…hope Grams doesn’t think I’m pregnant!

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 03-16-2009 08:07 PM

@tapeworm wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Y’know?

I was making fun of his speech. Haven’t you noticed, every other sentence ends in “Y’know?”

Saturdays on PBS are always (at least they used to be) cooking shows on all day. I used to work on Saturdays and would always set up the VCR to start at like 8:00 am and would fill up an entire tape (6 hrs. on slow speed). I’d watch the shows, one of which would be my fave, ‘The Frugal Gourmet’ and then tape over it the next week.

Anyway, long time ago, there was a french woman on every week; I can’t even remember her name now, it’s been so long (probably 20 years). But her ‘catch-phrase’ was always “Ehh?” “Ehh?” Gawd, she was irritating! I don’t want to say this type of speech pattern is typically French, but it is funny that these 2 people, both chefs & cooking instructors, & both just happen to come from France always follow up every statement with a question basically asking “Are you paying attention?”

I agree with you on Jacques’ knife skills though. I’ve seen him do some beautiful & intricate garnishes. In fact, I think he has a DVD on that subject alone, garnishes. You’ve got to have a very sharp knife though. Otherwise, your pinkie could actually become a ‘finger-sandwich’! :dizzy_face:

BTW, Jacques’ daughter is HOT! I hated the way she always acted so dumb on the show when she used to be on it though. She acted as though she didn’t know a paring knife from a garbage disposal.

I agree; I’m in love with Claudine (Jacques daughter)… I met her once with her dad and she is stunning.

I had “Brenner” tonight. Thats breakfast for Dinner. Homemade french toast on “Amish Sourdough bread” and Bob Evans Sausage.