What happend to the Sansa Fuze device stage in Windows 7?

I bought this Fuze for one reason: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/devices.aspx

Where is it? 

I think I would ask Microsoft, not Sansa…

The product is implemented by the hardware vendor, not the operating system vendor.  It was loaded by the Sansa device upon connection in earlier builds of Windows 7 including the public beta build 7000.  This operating system will likely be finalized in a few weeks and Sandisk really needs to get on the ball and make sure their advertising obligations are met.  Are there any Sandisk staff present on in the forum or is it just end-users?

Apart from failing completely to satisfy their one differentiating market advantage, the device works.  But no differently and a lot more expensively than generic alternatives.  I bought the product because it integrated the best with the only viable desktop operating system for comodity hardware – Microsoft Windows.  That was the only reason I paid more for it.  Can anyone point me in the direction of warranty service for this software error?

@baarod wrote:

The product is implemented by the hardware vendor, not the operating system vendor.  It was loaded by the Sansa device upon connection in earlier builds of Windows 7 including the public beta build 7000.  This operating system will likely be finalized in a few weeks and Sandisk really needs to get on the ball and make sure their advertising obligations are met.  Are there any Sandisk staff present on in the forum or is it just end-users?

 

Apart from failing completely to satisfy their one differentiating market advantage, the device works.  But no differently and a lot more expensively than generic alternatives.  I bought the product because it integrated the best with the only viable desktop operating system for comodity hardware – Microsoft Windows.  That was the only reason I paid more for it.  Can anyone point me in the direction of warranty service for this software error?

You’ve got it a bit backward, I fear.  If it worked in an earlier version, but quit when you upgraded, what changed?  Not the Fuze.  It was working fine.  Kinda shortens the suspect list a bit, eh?

I’m afraid you don’t understand.  The first Fuze was my son’s connected to his laptop.  He was surprised at the Device Stage and I have to admit, so was I.  He’s still on 7000 (too many games to reload :wink: and it still works.  I plug my new Fuze in and nothing.   There’s something wrong with the Fuze.

@baarod wrote:
I’m afraid you don’t understand.  The first Fuze was my son’s connected to his laptop.  He was surprised at the Device Stage and I have to admit, so was I.  He’s still on 7000 (too many games to reload :wink: and it still works.  I plug my new Fuze in and nothing.   There’s something wrong with the Fuze.

Ah.  Well, more information is always good for trying to figure problems out.  I’m still a bit confused, so let me tell you what I see, ask some clarifying questions, then you can tell me what I’ve gotten right/wrong, and add anything you think is pertinent.  Too much information is better than not enough.

What I’ve gotten out of your description so far:

Your son is on an earlier version of W7, and his Fuze works fine. 

You have a later version of W7, and your Fuze does not work. 

Questions for you, feel free to expand:

Does his Fuze work on your machine?

Does yours work on his? 

Did yours ever work anywhere? 

Can you buy, beg, borrow or steal time on an XP box to test? 

Have you done a soft reset, holding the power switch in the ON position for ~20 seconds? 

What kind of error messages or reaction from the player/W7 are you getting?

There are SanDisk employees who browse these forums, and occasionally put in their comments/suggestions.

I don’t expect, based upon past experience (since MS-DOS), that Microsoft will make such wondrous changes that butterflies will float from the PC when the USB device is connected.

It’s still an issue of the system registry, the selected USB mode, and device recognition upon that initial data query on the bus.  If the device isn’t singing along, and is functioning with another PC, it has to be a nuts-and-bolts device driver issue.

Those drivers are not resident within the Fuze.  It will communicate in one mode, with MTP offering UID access for WMDRM, and the secure clock.

I have not tinkered with Windows 7, but I’d query the Device Manager first with the Fuze connected in the desired USB mode.  Otherwise, you can try an application like usbdeview to see if the system shows any contact and device ID.  It even allows you direct access to regedit, if that’s your cup of tea.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

I don’t expect, based upon past experience (since MS-DOS), that Microsoft will make such wondrous changes that butterflies will float from the PC when the USB device is connected.

*snort!*  *gasp*  *cough*

Please don’t do that when I’ve got a mouth full of milk, Bob!

I am running Win 7 Ultimate Ver 6.1 (build 7000) and it works fine for me. what version of Win 7 beta are you running?

Also, there’s always the option of MSC mode to consider.

  1.  Can’t  seem to figure out what’s missing though.  I loaded up 7000 in a sandbox partition and it works so 7100 must not have the Fuze “stuff” in it.  I can only hope that the public release on May 5th includes it again!

@marvin_martian wrote:
Also, there’s always the option of MSC mode to consider.

Eeww.  That doesn’t have all my bells and whistles and I don’t think it works with Rhapsody to Go, does it? 

@drlucky wrote:
I am running Win 7 Ultimate Ver 6.1 (build 7000) and it works fine for me. what version of Win 7 beta are you running?

  1.  Can’t  seem to figure out what’s missing though.  I loaded up 7000 in a sandbox partition and it works so 7100 must not have the Fuze “stuff” in it.  I can only hope that the public release on May 5th includes it again!

 

@baarod wrote:


@marvin_martian wrote:
Also, there’s always the option of MSC mode to consider.


Eeww.  That doesn’t have all my bells and whistles and I don’t think it works with Rhapsody to Go, does it? 

 

OUtside of Rhapsody, what else would be missing?

@marvin_martian wrote:


@baarod wrote:


@marvin_martian wrote:
Also, there’s always the option of MSC mode to consider.


Eeww.  That doesn’t have all my bells and whistles and I don’t think it works with Rhapsody to Go, does it? 

 


OUtside of Rhapsody, what else would be missing?

Doesn’t MSC combine the SDHC and internal memory into one library for syncing? 

@baarod wrote:

Doesn’t MSC combine the SDHC and internal memory into one library for syncing? 

 

no

@drlucky wrote:


@baarod wrote:

Doesn’t MSC combine the SDHC and internal memory into one library for syncing? 

 


no

In MSC mode, the device is seen as 2 removable drives, one for the internal memory, one for expansion card.  At least in XP and Vistaster.

I have the same issue. Build 7100 does not recognise the usb device. Works great under Win XP. Are there any fuze usb drivers available? Anywhere?

Will “final” release of WIn 7 support the Fuze?

The “final” release has been out for awhile, since like August at least. I just took these pictures today for you, as I discovered the Device Stage Last night and saw this post today!

I have a few pictures for you if you want. 

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6500/sansawin71.png
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3550/sansawin72.png
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4450/sansawin73.png
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7936/sansawin74.png

Each one is of four steps, starting from 1, which shows nothing as I haven’t connected the device.

  1. Shows when I connect the device, a little fuze icon is there.

  2. shows what happens when I have my mouse hovering over the icon. Shows the current charge and sync info.

  3. The final part, the device stage, showing exactly what I saw when I first connected the device yesterday.