What do you think of the new iPod shuffle?

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

For $79, could just get a 4 GB Fuze, but whatever floats your boat Apple fans.

Message Edited by shenanagins1091 on 03-11-2009 12:25 PM

Target Practice anyone?

CNET’s 404 podcast described it as looking like a suppository

@marvin_martian wrote:

I didnt want to say anything but I was thinking horse suppository.

@conversionbox wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

The other big drawback to it…no buttons on the player itself…the controls are on the ibuds…so you’re stuck with the crappy stock ibuds. We Sansa owners have screens, can use any earphones we desire, so we clearly are cooler.

Wait…I just saw that you have to buy an extra adaptor to use different earphones.  Shocking…a way to make you spend even more money!

@marvin_martian wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

The other big drawback to it…no buttons on the player itself…the controls are on the ibuds…so you’re stuck with the crappy stock ibuds. We Sansa owners have screens, can use any earphones we desire, so we clearly are cooler.

Wait…I just saw that you have to buy an extra adaptor to use different earphones.  Shocking…a way to make you spend even more money!

Pehaps that would be the First apple product I would buy, The head phones with controls. I dont want the player, just the headphones and only If they would work with my Fuze or Clip.

Wait…  so the controls are actually located on the cord of the headphone?  If they were smart they would have made an extension cord with the control on them (so that you could plug in whatever headphones you want to this cord and still have the controls).  

But if they actually put the controls on the headphone cord?  This forces people to use the standard cheap sounding iPod earbuds?

What a terrible idea!  Not that I would ever buy an overpriced iPod product…  

And a few quotes from the webpage:

“And the sleek, durable, anodized aluminum case — available in silver or black — makes iPod shuffle a wardrobe essential.”

Hilarious!

They said that they make an Adapter(whatever that means) so you can use after market headphones.

Amazing! Around a year ago I was bashing mp3 player makers for having proprietary connectors, and quipped about what comes next, a proprietary headphone jack, and it appears Apple has actually done it. Amazing!

“If people grow accustomed to a proprietary connector for the cable to the pc, then what comes next, a proprietary headphone jack? Consumers need to take a stand and say that they won’t tolerate it, otherwise companies will try to lock consumers into buying their proprietary accesories at high prices.”

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27494&highlight=proprietary+headphone+jack

Hahaha. What response other than variations of “it ■■■■■” are you expecting on a sandisk forum? The shuffle can only be appreciated for its form over its function. I’ll give it that. The proprietary earbuds are the next step in forcing customers into adapting to Apple’s vision/design projections. If Apple even slightly cared about functionality, they’d have a standard 3.5mm jack attatched to the end of the “control buttons” to allow for universal headphone compatability. Ofcourse, this microscopic improvement would be detrimental to the player’s visual appeal and thus was immediately rejected. I used to work for Apple and I can tell you that the headphones are replaced free of charge when you RMA them (regardless of whose fault) so it’s not like they’d lose revenue to other headphone manufacturers by selling replacement earbuds.

<deep inhalation>

If we didn’t have iPods or zunes, then sansas would just be average.

The Shuffle made a little sense in the day when iPods and other players were much larger. Now that the Nano and other players are much smaller, I don’t see a lot of reason to sacrifice a screen.

Having been on iPod forums, I know how some people use these - they either sync a favorite playlist or rate all their music and put all the top songs on the Shuffle. Its nearly always a second player for when they don’t want to carry the iPod (e.g. running). It doesn’t really translate to what we do with the Fuze.

The voice thing might be nice - hard to know since I’ve never tried it. When you’re running or something like that, its an annoyance to have to take out a player and look at it.

It doesn’t surprise me that everyone is slamming it, because its not the brand we chose. The same thing would happen on pretty much any fan forum.

It could be argued that this thread should have been in the Off Topic section too

We’re bashing it because of the joke of a monopoly they are running. $80 for a player without a screen, radio, microphone, and other features that you get with the Fuze for the same price. It’s probably made of that metal that scratches easily too. They make you use the standard headphones too, what a joke.

@marvin_martian wrote:
It could be argued that this thread should have been in the Off Topic section too

Not at all, I’m comparing this to the Fuze, that’s the purpose of it going here. I guess you can compare it to the SMP and the Clip, but I don’t own those.

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
  It’s probably made of that metal that scratches easily too.

It’s made of aluminum and the “clip”  is actually stainless steel…something that Sansa Clip owners can’t say of theirs. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still not buying one, I’m a die-hard Sansa guy.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

It’s made of aluminum and the “clip”  is actually stainless steel…something that Sansa Clip owners can’t say of theirs. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still not buying one, I’m a die-hard Sansa guy.

What are you trying to say?

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

What are you trying to say?

Many have complained that their Clips’ clips have broken. Mine haven’t, though.

I was only referring to the metal used on iPods that scratches easily, I know nothing about the Clips breaking though.

Once again, Apple goes for style over substance when it comes to their iPod products.  But, people will probably eat this up like so much overhyped pablum.

Make mine Sansa.