weird sizes

I bought a 32 GB MicroSD Card and it shows different sizes on my devices, my computer and high-end Android phone shows my SD Card to have 29.7 GB of max :thinking:. capacity, while my low-end phone shows 31.9 GB of max. capacity instead, is this normal?

Hi @wipituto,

We understand that the capacity of your memory card appears to be smaller than you expected.

What you are observing is the difference in the definition of one Gigabyte by operating systems versus product manufacturers. Operating systems use a binary system which will present a lower number of GB than the decimal based system used by manufacturers to define the capacity of products. This is due to the binary system representing a GB as a higher number of actual bytes.

For example: Operating systems define a 1GB as 1,073,741,824 Bytes. We define 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes.

To understand this difference in definition better, you may refer to the following articles from our online Knowledge base: Capacity of the device (as reported by many operating systems) does not match its label

Hope it helps !!