Weird noises coming from my Clip Zip when I hug it against my ear.

Hello,
I got the Clip Zip yesterday and I can hear a weird whistling coming from it when the screen is on (nothing when the screen doesn’t display anything). Is that normal? Should I be worried? It goes like “eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee”.
I only can hear it when I put the player against my ear, but still.

It does so with OF as well as with Rockbox, so hardware issue I presume?

Thank you for your attention.
Have a good day  Smiley

edit: hey look I’m an eagle!

Could someone just tell me if you hear some kind of hiss when putting the player to your ear, please :o ?

@starmatt wrote:

Hello,
I got the Clip Zip yesterday and I can hear a weird whistling coming from it when the screen is on (nothing when the screen doesn’t display anything). Is that normal?  

No.

@starmatt wrote:

Should I be worried?

No. Just return it.

@starmatt wrote:

So what? Snoop Dogg is now a lion. :laughing:

@starmatt wrote:

I got the Clip Zip yesterday and I can hear a weird whistling coming from it when the screen is on (nothing when the screen doesn’t display anything). Is that normal?  

No.

@starmatt wrote:

Should I be worried?

No. Just return it.

@starmatt wrote:

So what? Snoop Dogg is now a lion.

You might try manually reapplying the latest firmware (see the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum)–that sometimes can fix issues.  

I’ll try reapplying the firmware. Not sure it’ll do anything since it also does this with Rockbox, but thanks for the input, I’ll do as soon as I can!

Thanks a bunch.

Yep–if this happens under Rockbox as well, likely a hardware issue–time for a return/warranty return and replacement.  But I’d still try the firmware re-application–you never know, and it’s easy enough.

It’s normal to hear the OLED display operating in the Clip Zip, it has a higher frequency audible sound than the two-color OLED of the Clip or Clip+.

The sound is best heard (if you’re among the curious) by holding the Zip to your ear like a miniature mobile phone. Tap a button to wake up the display first. This is quite normal.

The new color display is more audible than the smaller, simpler one of the Clip.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I guess I haven’t been holding my Zip up to my ear to listen to it . . . . :wink:

@miikerman wrote:
I guess I haven’t been holding my Zip up to my ear to listen to it . . . . :wink:

I just tried this, and if it’s normal to hear a high-pitched squealing while the screen is lit up then either I have an abnormal one or I’m deaf. If the sound is above 17,500 hz (which I’ve tested is my upper threshold), then maybe it is normal and those with sharper ears are hearing it.

I’ll have to let my dog listen to it later and see if he can hear anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahah, thanks everyone for your answers. I sent it back since the firmware update did nothing and will see how the new one behaves. I’ll keep you in touch.

Alright. So the new one does the same thing. I guess I’ll be content with that for now :slight_smile: