Weird, Annoying, (hair-tearing), Problem

When I try to connect my e280 to the computer it says that its connected for a second then it immediately disconnects.  It connects again but it disconnects immediately again. This continues to happen until I unplug my device and I am unable to add or remove anything.  I have reformatted it and reset it to the factory conditions.  In the settings menu I never had A setting “USB Mode” b/c I have been seeing that as an answer for alot of these problems but It wont work for me. Please help me this has been going on for about a year and it is driving me CRAZY.

:S 

If your player has a very old firmware, you may not have a USB mode setting, or it may be simply listed as “Mode” if you have the Rhapsody model. To check which firmware version you need, go to Settings>Info. If the entry for the first line ( “Version” ) starts with an 01, you have a v1 player. If it starts with an 03, you have a v2. If it starts with a 1 and ends with a three digit number (".165", for example), you have a Rhapsody (e200R) model.

Firmware for v1 here

Firmware for v2 here

Firmware for Rhapsody here

Don’t install the Sansa Firmware Updater. You don’t need it, as there will very likely never be another firmware update for the e200 series, so it amounts to nothing more than a resource hog that checks for nonexistant updates every time it detects that you’ve connected the player. Follow the instructions in the topics I linked to for doing a manual firmware update.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 04-26-2010 12:34 AM

no but the problem is that i cannot update it b/c it will not connect to the computer for long enough

fkfce wrote:

When I try to connect my e280 to the computer it says that its connected for a second then it immediately disconnects.  It connects again but it disconnects immediately again. This continues to happen until I unplug my device and I am unable to add or remove anything.  I have reformatted it and reset it to the factory conditions.  In the settings menu I never had A setting “USB Mode” b/c I have been seeing that as an answer for alot of these problems but It wont work for me. Please help me this has been going on for about a year and it is driving me CRAZY.

:S 

A year???

Sounds like it’s hosed to me.

no its just that eventually i gave up and got a zune but now im trying to fix again so I can give it to someone

The connect/disconnect could be a bad cord. And you have to connect directly to the computer–not a hub, or it may not get enough power. 

You can try to force it into MSC mode.

Turn the unit off. Put on the Hold switch so orange shows. Open Windows Explorer (Computer or My Computer). Plug the USB cord into the computer. Hold down the Record button and keep holding it as you connect the E280.  Look in Computer/My Computer and see if two drives pop up.

If the Record button doesn’t work, try the same thing while holding the << button. 

Otherwise, it’s probably dead.