Want Gapless Playback? Register Your Interest Here!

@tapeworm wrote:

@2stepsteve wrote:

Being repetitive is the only way big companies listen, if there are enough people wanting/asking for something it makes it more likely it will happen. This thread is to collect votes/signatures of Fuze owners who would really appreciate gapless playback. Seeing that Sansa only a couple of months ago released a new firmware for the Fuze got me thinking that they aren’t going to be abandoning the Fuze just yet. But it would be nice to hear from Sansa if they do plan on anymore firmware updates which will include new features rather than bug fixes.

1.) No, it isn’t. But it IS a sure way to be annoying, both to the other people on this forum and to those SanDisk employees that frequent here as well. You might think you’re offering something fresh, but believe me we have heard it ALL before! You’re late to the party. This is just the most recent in a series of gripe/bitch threads on the subject. There have been many others prior to this.

2.) Again, if you had done your homework & searched prior to posting, you would’ve discovered there are already numerous existing threads on the subject that you could have added your support too.

3.) Once more, reading or searching out existing threads can really benefit those unfamiliar with this forum (or any  one for that matter). Had you done this, you would have discovered that this was already discussed and confirmed that ‘gapless’ is on the firmware development team’s ‘To-Do’ list. They are working on it as we speak. Sansafix himself already stated in this very thread that (in so many words) the thread itself is unnecessary as almost everyone would enjoy, or appreciate ‘gapless’ playback.

4.) Yet, one more time . . . if you (or anyone) would spend just a few minutes reading what has already been written on this boards, you would see that SanDisk is committed to improving the workings via firmware updates. Also, the updates are not just ‘bug-fixes’! Every one I’ve ever seen, regardless of model has had new features & improvments as well as problems solved.

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 07-02-2009 03:53 PM

@tapeworm wrote:

@2stepsteve wrote:

Being repetitive is the only way big companies listen, if there are enough people wanting/asking for something it makes it more likely it will happen. This thread is to collect votes/signatures of Fuze owners who would really appreciate gapless playback. Seeing that Sansa only a couple of months ago released a new firmware for the Fuze got me thinking that they aren’t going to be abandoning the Fuze just yet. But it would be nice to hear from Sansa if they do plan on anymore firmware updates which will include new features rather than bug fixes.

1.) No, it isn’t. But it IS a sure way to be annoying, both to the other people on this forum and to those SanDisk employees that frequent here as well. You might think you’re offering something fresh, but believe me we have heard it ALL before! You’re late to the party. This is just the most recent in a series of gripe/bitch threads on the subject. There have been many others prior to this.

2.) Again, if you had done your homework & searched prior to posting, you would’ve discovered there are already numerous existing threads on the subject that you could have added your support too.

3.) Once more, reading or searching out existing threads can really benefit those unfamiliar with this forum (or any  one for that matter). Had you done this, you would have discovered that this was already discussed and confirmed that ‘gapless’ is on the firmware development team’s ‘To-Do’ list. They are working on it as we speak. Sansafix himself already stated in this very thread that (in so many words) the thread itself is unnecessary as almost everyone would enjoy, or appreciate ‘gapless’ playback.

4.) Yet, one more time . . . if you (or anyone) would spend just a few minutes reading what has already been written on this boards, you would see that SanDisk is committed to improving the workings via firmware updates. Also, the updates are not just ‘bug-fixes’! Every one I’ve ever seen, regardless of model has had new features & improvments as well as problems solved.

@tapeworm wrote:

@2stepsteve wrote:

Hi Tapeworm

I know for a fact i’m not offering anything fresh.  I was not trying to be annoying to forum members or the Sansa staff, far from it.

Could you direct me to a sticky/url of the roadmap of firmware updates please Tapeworm? - Now that is being annoying :stuck_out_tongue: :neutral_face:

Chill please… I did not mean to cause any annoyance.

Feel free to delete the thread mods I will post in another thread.

Message Edited by 2stepsteve on 07-02-2009 03:35 PM

There is no road map, per say to all the firmware updates. The current release is ‘stickied’ at the top of the 1st page here. This is always the case with a current firmware version. When a new one comes out, the one it is replacing is ‘un-stickied’ and as interest in it drops off and other posts are made, it falls further & further down the list. Newer posts are listed first.

I’d suggest using the Advanced Search option and using keywords ‘Fuze Firmware Post’ or ‘Fuze Firmware Update’. I can’t remember if they’ve all been called the same thing or not. If you have the number of the update you’re looking for, you can type that into the search box too.

Here are some of the previous threads/posts I was referring to on the subject of gapless playback, suggesting that SanDisk is working on gapless playback for a future update.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=10092&query.id=382846#M10092

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=5279&query.id=382846#M5279

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=5421&query.id=382846#M5421

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=16162&query.id=382846#M16162

Took me all of about 20 seconds to find these. :wink:

Sorry folks… but everytime I hear “gapless playback” in this forum I get sick to my stomach…

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 07-02-2009 07:35 PM

@tapeworm wrote:

There is no road map, per say to all the firmware updates. The current release is ‘stickied’ at the top of the 1st page here. This is always the case with a current firmware version. When a new one comes out, the one it is replacing is ‘un-stickied’ and as interest in it drops off and other posts are made, it falls further & further down the list. Newer posts are listed first.

I’d suggest using the Advanced Search option and using keywords ‘Fuze Firmware Post’ or ‘Fuze Firmware Update’. I can’t remember if they’ve all been called the same thing or not. If you have the number of the update you’re looking for, you can type that into the search box too.

Here are some of the previous threads/posts I was referring to on the subject of gapless playback, suggesting that SanDisk is working on gapless playback for a future update.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=10092&query.id=382846#M10092

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=5279&query.id=382846#M5279

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=5421&query.id=382846#M5421

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=16162&query.id=382846#M16162

That last thread link is the most encouraging out of all of them, that it is being worked on.

@While i’m at it… and this is something not mentioned much on the forums (!). I am surprised there aren’t more complaints as to why radio recording is fixed @ a 22khz sample rate… but I think that deserves it’s own thread. That and what is mentioned in this theard are the only small gripes on what is a great music player! I am looking forward to taking my fuze on holiday and having long run times and great sounding audio.

I think the sick to your stomach feeling is due to too much red wine fuze_owner-GB :wink:

Message Edited by 2stepsteve on 07-02-2009 04:58 PM

2stepsteve wrote:

. . . While i’m at it… and this is something not mentioned much on the forums (!). I am surprised there aren’t more complaints as to why radio recording is fixed @ a 22khz sample rate… but I think that deserves it’s own thread.

Read on Steve-o. There’s already a couple threads on that too. One, in fact is fairly recent.

You’ll have to find this one on your own though. :stuck_out_tongue:

2stepsteve wrote:

. . . While i’m at it… and this is something not mentioned much on the forums (!). I am surprised there aren’t more complaints as to why radio recording is fixed @ a 22khz sample rate… but I think that deserves it’s own thread.

Read on Steve-o. There’s already a couple threads on that too. One in fact, is fairly recent.

You’ll have to find this one on your own though. :stuck_out_tongue:

@2stepsteve wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

That last thread link is the most encouraging out of all of them, that it is being worked on.

@While i’m at it… and this is something not mentioned much on the forums (!). I am surprised there aren’t more complaints as to why radio recording is fixed @ a 22khz sample rate… but I think that deserves it’s own thread. That and what is mentioned in this theard are the only small gripes on what is a great music player! I am looking forward to taking my fuze on holiday and having long run times and great sounding audio.

I think the sick to your stomach feeling is due to too much red wine fuze_owner-GB :wink:

Message Edited by 2stepsteve on 07-02-2009 04:58 PM

Red wine is nectar of the Gods, gapless is not…

Hi Folks,

I’m new to the world of mp3, wma, ogg, flac, etc. and, when I bought my Fuze, it never even occurred to me to ask about gapless playback. Having been weaned and grown up with analogue music reproduction, I have learned to take gapless playback for granted. Chances are that I would never have bought the Fuze if I’d known when I bought it what I know now. From my point of view, gapless playback is essential because of the music that I listen to. If there are some people that don’t need gapless, then that’s fine - we all have different requirements and priorities. One man’s meat is another man’s poison and all that stuff.

In summary, the Sansa Fuze is a great little player - well engineered, well made, aesthetically very pleasing. The only thing that lets it down from my point-of-view is the omission of gapless playback. I’d love to see this corrected in the next firmware upgrade.

JPC

The best hope for Fuze owners no doubt is RockBox. It’s by no means official yet, but it works great and has your gapless playback as good as it probably gets.

Personally, I strongly doubt we’ll even see another firmware update.

Message Edited by 7o9 on 07-14-2009 10:29 AM

I would caution against Rockbox just yet, no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Installing Rockbox zorches  DRM (secure wma) capability permanently.  Development on the Fuze is currently active, no doubt about it.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

@jaypeecee wrote:

Hi Folks,

I’m new to the world of mp3, wma, ogg, flac, etc. and, when I bought my Fuze, it never even occurred to me to ask about gapless playback. Having been weaned and grown up with analogue music reproduction, I have learned to take gapless playback for granted. Chances are that I would never have bought the Fuze if I’d known when I bought it what I know now. From my point of view, gapless playback is essential because of the music that I listen to. If there are some people that don’t need gapless, then that’s fine - we all have different requirements and priorities. One man’s meat is another man’s poison and all that stuff.

In summary, the Sansa Fuze is a great little player - well engineered, well made, aesthetically very pleasing. The only thing that lets it down from my point-of-view is the omission of gapless playback. I’d love to see this corrected in the next firmware upgrade.

JPC

Yeah…Gapless was so great with LP’s that you had to get up and flip the album over to hear the other side.  You had to be really quick to be gapless!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

I would caution against Rockbox just yet, no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Installing Rockbox zorches  DRM (secure wma) capability permanently.  Development on the Fuze is currently active, no doubt about it.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

The DRM issue should be noted, thats true. But for users that don’t already own DRMed WMAs it should not be a problem, because the chance that this particular feature ever becomes important again is practically zero. Nowadays nobody should buy DRMed music and in the past DRMed music was mostly iTunes music, that the fuze doesn’t play anyway (without removing DRM and converting to another format).

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Sorry folks… but everytime I hear “gapless playback” in this forum I get sick to my stomach…

funny!

gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback

Sorry, fuze_owner-GB… but everytime I come across someone getting sick to his stomach when hearing some particular phrase I have to laugh…

@calv wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

funny!

gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback gapless playback

Sorry, fuze_owner-GB… but everytime I come across someone getting sick to his stomach when hearing some particular phrase I have to laugh…

You don’t have to be sorry on my account.  I really don’t get sick to my stomach.  I just find it odd, interesting, strange (insert your favorite here) that people really think they are going to mandate gapless capability by writing in this thread or forum.  Dream on…

I threw my back out, it was such hard work making my Pink Floyd albums gapless…clicking the mouse is hard work!:dizzy_face:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@jaypeecee wrote:

Hi Folks,

JPC

Yeah…Gapless was so great with LP’s that you had to get up and flip the album over to hear the other side.  You had to be really quick to be gapless!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

The solution to that is simple; transfer the LP to good quality tape on a reel-to-reel tape deck running at 19cm/sec or higher. Hey presto - gapless!

The solution to that is simple; transfer the LP to good quality tape on a reel-to-reel tape deck running at 19cm/sec or higher. Hey presto - gapless!

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

That solution is about 50 years old!!! 

This thread is priceless!!!

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy: 

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 07-15-2009 11:22 AM

@marvin_martian wrote:
I threw my back out, it was such hard work making my Pink Floyd albums gapless…clicking the mouse is hard work!:dizzy_face:

:smileyvery-happy:

Not half as hard as posting “we want gapless”  :smileyvery-happy: