Voice recording to memory card

Hi all :slight_smile:

I’ve just invested in a Fuze - sexy lil bit of kit, isn’t it!

Anyhoo - the one thing so far I’ve been a bit disappointed with is that I can’t seem to voice record directly to the memory card(?), only to the internal memory. I need to voice record occassionally for work (sometimes quite long files), but not often enough to want to use my main memory for storing the recordings. I thought if I filled the internal memory and used a mem stick for voice recording it would use the space on the stick automatically, but i just get a ‘memory full/no space available’ message.

Of course, leaving space on the internal memory and using the mem card for music/vids etc is a work around, but it’s a lot less convenient than keeping a second ‘voice only’ mem stick and recording direct to that. Can i do what I want to do, or is there maybe a way of setting the memory stick as the ‘default’ recording device, so i only have to remember to specify the internal memory when i’m downloading other stuff via the PC?

Alternatively, is there any way of ‘navigating’ and moving recordings/folders from the main memory to the memory stick without connecting to a PC? If there is a ‘manage folders’ option I’ve not found it yet…

As i say, generally really pleased with the Fuze, but one of the main reasons for buying a player with removable memory capacity was for voice recording, so any advice appreciated.

:slight_smile:

Recordings (either voice or FM radio) will always get stored on the internal memory only. Sorry, there is no way to make it record to an external memory card.

You’ll have to move your music off of the internal memory and put in on the memory card instead in order to have space on the internal memory for recordings.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that directly on the device itself (at least not with the current firmware). So, if you have backup copies of your music on your computer then you can delete the files on the internal memory. Then copy the files from your computer onto the external card memory.

If you do not have backup copies of your music on your computer, then you’ll have to first copy them back from the internal memory and then copy them back to the external memory (remember to delete the files off of the internal memory though).

I would not try to cut and paste from the internal to the external memory (to avoid having to copy the files back to the computer first). That can cause the USB connection to become confused with trying to read and write to the device all at the same time. That could cause a whole bunch of other problems that I’m sure you really would rather not have to deal with.

@miltst wrote:

I would not try to cut and paste from the internal to the external memory (to avoid having to copy the files back to the computer first). That can cause the USB connection to become confused with trying to read and write to the device all at the same time. That could cause a whole bunch of other problems that I’m sure you really would rather not have to deal with.

You can do this…but I would recommend copy and paste first, then, if it transferred correctly, you can go back and delete what you copied. I have done this many times.:smiley:

Yah Marvin I know it can be done in MSC mode (although I still don’t trust doing it). But, you know how MTP mode can be. Since I didn’t know which mode he was using I figured better safe than sorry.

@miltst wrote:

Yah Marvin I know it can be done in MSC mode (although I still don’t trust doing it). But, you know how MTP mode can be. Since I didn’t know which mode he was using I figured better safe than sorry.

That’s a great point miltst. I have avoided MTP like the Ebola virus, but not everyone has…your “better safe than sorry” idea is a good one.