Voice Recording on 2GB Black Clip

Hi all.

I’m trying to do voice recordings on my black Sansa Clip 2GB, and I’m running tests to try to get it right. However, I’m having an issue that I can’t quite figure out. I’m doing 1-minute test runs, and when I listen to them, the playback skips, whether I’m listening to the file on the player itself or on my computer. This of course means that the recording itself is skipping. This skipping issue basically makes the recording feature unusable. How do I fix this?

Where does it skip. I find it’s best to start recording just a little before you need to save, after that mine works fine. It’s very sensitive to touching or moving so it’s best to set it on a table.

I do have it lying on a flat surface in front of me, and I am not touching it.

As for where it skips, it seems to vary. In a 3:56 recording, where I begin speaking twenty-seconds in, it skips only at 1:44 and 1:54. In a 43-second recording, where I begin speaking ten seconds in, it skips at 0:20. In another 3:56 recording, where I begin speaking two whole minutes in as a test, it doesn’t skip. Is it safe to assume it only skips in the first two minutes?

Who was it, Arte Johnson, that made the phrase, “very interesting” so popular?

Those of you who remember the 70s Rowan and Martin TV series “Laugh In” will remember Arte.

If you don’t have your Clip completely filled with music, formatting the device with 32kb clusters may solve this issue.  Be sure to have backup copies of your music to reload it afterward.

On the Clip, the onboard Format function will do quite nicely.  Pauses in playback can happen if your device is poking through a large file allocation table, though I wouldn’t expect to see this in the 2GB device, anything is possible.  If you’ve ever formatted using the PC, Windows has a neast habit of using 4kb cluster size, too small for our purposes.  This can create a situation where the processor has too much overhead, causing “skips”.

On the Clip, the foemat command is found via Settings > System Settings > Format > Yes.  This will erase all of your media from teh device, but it also “takes the wrinkles out of the tablecloth” in the process.

Please let us know how your voice recordings sound after the procedure.  I think this just might do the trick for you.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: