Very brief sound from Fuze

I just got my Fuze today, by mail, charge it, load music, more than half of which mysteriously vanishes, plug in the head phones and turn it on.  When the music starts, I get sound for about 1/10 second and that’s it.  I am not a happy person right now since it looks like this thing is half dead right out fo the box.  I have to say that the use manual, if you can call it that, is worse than a joke.  It was only by accident that I discovered how to navigate the menus and change the volume.  But, aside from that, I guess I will have to ship this thing someplace for repair or replacement.  Or is this a known problem with a fix?

Well First off the User manual is on Lone for Download what you got was a quick start manual. Half of you music Vanished? What did you do when it vanished? Had you unplugged and Replugged? What method are you using to add? This is going to sound like to easy a solution to your sound issue but make sure the Headphones are in all the way, the Fuze’s headphone Jack is pretty tight at first so use some force and make sure its all the way in. Where did you buy the Fuze? If it is new not having a full charge when you pull it out of the box is normal, If you got it second hand then who knows how much the last owner charged the battery. When you plug it in and let it charge for a few hours does it get more charged?

A couple things for you…http://www.sandisk.com/sansa/assets/English/products/Fuze/fuze_userguide_en.pdf

and http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=14382 

Well, this is pretty strange, but after putting the music back and updating the firmware, everything seems to be working just fine.  I did have the headphone jack in all the way the first time.

@gerryr wrote:
Well, this is pretty strange, but after putting the music back and updating the firmware, everything seems to be working just fine.  I did have the headphone jack in all the way the first time.

You would be suprised how many dont have the Jack in all the way. My first few weeks I was stunned by it. How did you Transfer your Files? I ask again because there are 2 USB modes on the Fuze, and If you Add the Files in one mode they are not visible in the other.  So If you connected and used Windows Media Player, it could have connected in MTP mode but when you hook up again and open it in Windows explorer you could be seeing MSC Mode, in which case it would look like the files disappear.

I just used good old cut and paste.  I had Rhapsody running at the same time and I wasn’t getting along with it very well and I probably did something that caused them to be deleted.  Or, it wasn’t actually finished copying although I thought it was.