Using MSC mode for first time, restart comptuer to complete installation...?!

When I tried updating the firmware in MTP mode, I got a warning message that the file wasn’t recognized (or something like that) and asked if I wanted to allow, skip, or cancel. So I cancelled. In retrospect, I’m thinking that you’re supposed to allow the file to copy over anyways. If that is the case, then the fact that you get that error message/warning first really should be included in the instructions on updating the firmware, so users know that it’s okay to allow the file to copy over.

So instead, I changed the mode of the player to MSC and the Clip was recognized by my computer (Windows XP SP2) as a USB device and I dragged/dropped the update over and the player was updated. I then changed the USB  mode back to MTP, and I seemed good to go.

However, my biggest concern is once I copied over the update file, I got a Windows popup message that my computer needed to be restarted in order for the new software (or something) to be completely installed. WHA–?! I chose not to restart at that time – but I eventually restarted my computer. I saw no difference or no new program loading when it restarted (not that you’d necessarliy would, as you don’t see anything usually when you do Windows Updates, for example).

This has me a bit freaked out. I’m kind of guessing/assuming that it was really referring to the Clip that needed to restart, but was somehow recognized by my computer as if an update to my OS or something had happened, so I got that message to restart to complete whatever – but in reality, nothing happened. Does that seem right?

Or does the Clip actually install something on your computer when you attach it in MSC mode for the first time and update the firmware that way?

Or is something bad going on here? :frowning:

Please help! Thanks!

its normal for windoze XP to restart after installing a new hardware.  maybe the programers haven’t thought that installing a removable drive won’t need restart or maybe they’re just making sure so that no error will occur with your newly installed drive…

i’ll ask bill :smileyvery-happy:

If you could please find out more, I’d appreciate it! :slight_smile:

I have never had Windows ask to restart after connecting anything via USB (thumb drives, mouse, printer, etc.). So I don’t understand why attaching the Sansa Clip in MSC mode would cause this…? (As an additional note, this has never happend when I attach the clip in MTP mode, which is what I usually use.)

1. Is it possible the the message about restarting the computer was referring to the Clip itself (which needed to restart after installing the new firmware) and not actually referring to my laptop, since the Clip is like its own mini computer with its own OS?

2. Has this happened to *anybody* else when connecting their Clip via USB in MSC mode to a Windows XP SP2 machine?

3. Side question: When updating the firmware in MTP mode, when you drag/drop the firmware over to the proper spot, is it actually normal to get that message about the file not being a playable file and asking if you want to transfer it anyways – and then you’re supposed to say “yes”?

Looking forward to hearing back!

Message Edited by M-3PO on 02-18-2008 04:22 PM

None of that has occurred for me.  But is your player operating just fine (and likewise your computer)?  If so, I would just toss it off as the vagaries of electronics. 

well, if the laptop asks for a restart and you click yes.  you will notice that the computer will restart. that means its reffering to the computer.

i think the reason why you didn’t see this message before is because you’re using a laptop. 
you’re recovery disc installs the OS and device drivers at the same time and only require restarts before you can use windows.

I don’t really understand this reply… sorry!

What does my question have to do with:

_“you’re recovery disc installs the OS and device drivers at the same time and only require restarts before you can use windows.”

?_
I am using a laptop, and when I attached the Clip in MSC mode for the first time (I usuall use MTP mode) in order to do the firmware update, at some point that Windows message about restarting your computer for your new (software?/hardware? – I don’t recall exactly) to take effect came up. I chose “No” or “Cancel” (don’t remember) and did not reststart my computer at that time. I disconnected the Clip (after the firmware update) and then restarted my computer (just for the heck of it – it’d have to get restarted at some point anyways…) – nothing really happend that I noticed at that point. I just find it weird that message about restarting your computer came up and was trying to find out why it would (especially since it hasn’t for anybody else, it seems).

Why would it matter that I have a laptop in this regard?

Also, nobody answered this question:

When updating the firmware in MTP mode, when you drag/drop the firmware over to the proper spot, is it actually normal to get that message about the file not being a playable file and asking if you want to transfer it anyways – and then you’re supposed to say “yes”? Is this correct/normal? Click “yes” in order to copy the firmware over?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

If this message has not poped up again, get on with your life. The way I understand your OP you said that this “happened”. Is it still happening when you connect the Clip? If not, why do you care? You already said that you weren’t sure if the message was referring to the PC or Clip, so you don’t have all of the facts. Hope someone answers your file copy question soon.

i apologize.  its really hard to put it in layman’s term…

about your other question…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

…the MTP allows MTP Initiators to identify the specific capabilities of device(s) with respect to file formats and functionality. In particular, MTP Initiators may have to provide passwords and other information to unlock files, or otherwise enable restricted capabilities. Nothing specific of this nature is in the core standard but the possibility is allowed via Vendor extensions…

simply means the clip can’t play the file…

Thanks for the reply! My question about that is actually just a “yes” or “no” question:

In MTP mode, when doing the firmware update and copying over the firmware file, when that message pops up, is that normal? And do you just say “yes” and let it copy over anyways? And *that’s* how you update the firmware in MTP mode? (If the answer is yes, then it might be good to include this step and specifics about the message that pops up in the instructions on updating the firmware in MTP mode – because I stopped doing it that way thinking something wasn’t going right… Hope that makes sense!)

M-3PO wrote:
Thanks for the reply! My question about that is actually just a “yes” or “no” question:

In MTP mode, when doing the firmware update and copying over the firmware file, when that message pops up, is that normal? And do you just say “yes” and let it copy over anyways? And *that’s* how you update the firmware in MTP mode? (If the answer is yes, then it might be good to include this step and specifics about the message that pops up in the instructions on updating the firmware in MTP mode – because I stopped doing it that way thinking something wasn’t going right… Hope that makes sense!)

yes let it copy anyway.

and the reboot your computer message can be ignored. reboot is not nessasarry it connect the device.

:neutral_face:

ohhh… :dizzy_face:i making thing more complicated…