Use Palm Charger For Sansa Clip?

I have a Sansa Clip. I also have a plug-in (to the wall) charger for my Palm Z22 that has the same plug as the cable that came with my Sansa Clip. The Palm charger puts out 5.2 volts DC. The USB standard is for 5 volts DC.

Is it OK to use this Palm charger to charge my Sansa Clip? Would the extra 0.2 volts do any damage to it?

Thanks…

I believe that I have read that that is within normal electronics tolerance.  Personally, though, I think I would buy a 5v charger.

The rating may be open circuit or no load voltage.  If it’s designed for a device (palm) that’s also designed to operate via USB, the voltage should be correct.

Especially, if you have a USB standard Mini-B connection on the end of that cable, it should be fine.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I’ve used the charger for my Windows Mobile phone (an HTC S620) for the Clip and it works fine. It also has 5.2V.

I’ve used the charger for my Windows Mobile phone (an HTC S620) for the Clip and it works fine. It also has 5.2V.

I asked this because I am now on my 3rd Clip. The first two stopped being recognized by my computer after a couple of months. I’ve been using this Palm charger, thinking it was OK, and started to wonder if that was the cause of my troubles.

How long have you been using the 5.2V charger with your clip?

Not too long. My Clip is only a few weeks old. Haven’t had any problems so far… but maybe they’ll appear sooner or later? I dunno. Since I have 2 years of warranty, I’m not too worried. I’ll post here if any problems arise, but somehow I don’t think that they will. SOMEone must have noticed this issue if it’s related to 5.2V wall chargers. I can’t believe we’re the only ones using them :wink:

That voltage rating itself is not a problem. Usually a ±5% tolerance is OK; for 5V this means that anything between 4.75 to 5.25 will be fine.

The problem is usually the quality of the voltage. Some cheap chargers may go outside that range (either momentarily or continuously) or send “dirty” voltage (poorly regulated, with spikes, etc.). This will stress the electronics and might fry them in the end.

I would say that it all depends on the quality of the charger. When you hook the load (Palm, Clip…etc) to the charger this will make some voltage drop.

For example: let’s suppose your have under-rated cheap charger - when you measure voltage without load you get 5.7V; but when you hook it to the Palm the voltage drops  to 5.2V because of the load. This is OK for your Palm. But when you hook it to the Clip (suppose the Clip is smaller load for the charger then a Palm) the voltage drops only by 0.2V so you have 5.5V on the Clip.

If the charger is built like it should, there would be no voltage drop and the charger output would be 5.2V with or without a load - of course in his limits. For example - if you have quality charger with specs 5.2V/300m, you can suck 300mA from it without any voltage drop.

Some cheap chargers have somehow higher voltage output to compensate the voltage drop because of load.

Thanks for the detailed technical information, which is quite helpful.

It’s starting to sound like there’s no practical way to tell if the Palm charger is OK to use with the Sansa Clip, because I’d need some pretty sophisticated equipment (scopes, etc) to be able to tell.

Does anyone know of a simple way to tell? I’ve got a digital volt/ammeter, but I don’t think it’s worth spending more than the Clip cost on test equipment.

All rechargeable batteries are very sensitive to heat.  Heat destroys them.  The quick chargeres are extremely hard on them. I don’t know how fast the wall chargers charge the units but the usb method is slow and genereates very little heat.

Just a guess, on my part, but you may be cutting way down on your battery life using the wall units.

You guys have some pretty sizeable huevos!!!  :smileyvery-happy:  You’re posting on the SANSA FORUM that if you burn out your Clip with too much juice, you’ll just trade them in???  Call me naive, but maybe you should be a bit more subtle…with folks like sansafix listening in!

Isn’t this site sponsored by Sansa, or do you just like living dangerously…:wink:

-Matt

Hey, all I did was ask about it!  :smiley:

It only occurred to me after 2 Clips died that it might be me who was killing them. I still don’t know that it was me or not, though, and I don’t know how to tell definitely. I’m not using that Palm charger on this 3rd one, so I guess we’ll see if it lasts or not. But even then I won’t really know for sure…

Oh, you know…I should note that when you say “you’re on your third” I assume you returned the first two.  Or did they go in the trash can?  :wink:

Ooops…people are listening.  You don’t have to answer that!

-Matt

Message Edited by sansamatt on 12-05-2008 06:42 PM

mtrigobof;

you don’t need expensive equipment to measure Palm charger output.

But first thing first; computer USB doesn’t have any charging circuit by it’s own to control battery charging. It’s just a source of 5V. So the controling circuit is in the Clip - it controls how fast to charge a battery. It’s perfectly safe to use external charger if the charger is in the Clip cpecifications (5V output with enough current).

But if the charger output is higher than 5V (I can’t tell if 5.2V is in the safe limits) this might damage Clip circuits.

To measure chargers output find on the net Mini-USB pinout, then simple measure the voltage with digital volt/amp instrument you have.

@sansamatt wrote:

You guys have some pretty sizeable huevos!!!  :smileyvery-happy:  You’re posting on the SANSA FORUM that if you burn out your Clip with too much juice, you’ll just trade them in???  Call me naive, but maybe you should be a bit more subtle…with folks like sansafix listening in!

Isn’t this site sponsored by Sansa, or do you just like living dangerously…:wink:

-Matt

Well, I am just acting according to the User manual.

“You can charge your Sansa player through the USB port of your computer, a car adapter (not included) USB port, or AC adapter (not included) USB port.”

Which is exactly what I am doing. The manual doesn’t say “If you are not an expert in electric circuits, do not charge your Clip with an AC charger,” so…

And it’s not like sansafix will contact amazon.de and tell them not to exchange my Clip if it burns out. So there you go :wink:

Message Edited by Pyrazol on 12-06-2008 06:24 PM

@pyrazol wrote:

And it’s not like sansafix will contact amazon.de and tell them not to exchange my Clip if it burns out. So there you go :wink:

You’re right, and what’s more:  not everyone is as ignorant as me, and uses their real first name in their screen name.  :dizzy_face:

-Matt