USB modes

There seem to be 2 choices for USB modes, MSC seems required for updates.  What is the difference and which do I want to be the default?

You must use MTP mode for using Rhapsody and for music protected by DRM (digital rights management).  MTP mode requires at least Windows XP SP2 and WMP 10.

MSC mode is more “universal”–it will work on other and earlier operating systems (including Linux and on Apples).  In MSC mode, the player is simply seen as another drive.  Some computer operations may require that.

Note that your computer only shows the files transferred to the Clip in the mode in which the Clip currently is set.  And so it may be easiest to consistently use one mode or the other.  That said, the Clip shows all the files.

By the way, updating is possible in both modes.

Thank you, that clears it up.

Ed

Quick Question though, I’ve only had mine a week or 2,XP w/ SP2 and I use either WMP or MediaMonkey.  I have mine set to auto so which will it default to?  Shoudl I set it to explicitly use MTP, considering that I only use those 2 programs?

@miikerman wrote:

You must use MTP mode for using Rhapsody and for music protected by DRM (digital rights management). MTP mode requires at least Windows XP SP2 and WMP 10.

MSC mode is more “universal”–it will work on other and earlier operating systems (including Linux and on Apples). In MSC mode, the player is simply seen as another drive. Some computer operations may require that.

Note that your computer only shows the files transferred to the Clip in the mode in which the Clip currently is set. And so it may be easiest to consistently use one mode or the other. That said, the Clip shows all the files.

By the way, updating is possible in both modes.

In Auto mode, it defaults to MTP, if your system has at least XP SP2 and WMP10.  I think you only need MTP if you use DRM files (you also can check the Clip’s battery reserve on your computer, in MTP mode).  Personally, even though my computer can handle MTP mode, I’ve set to MSC mode, as I don’t use DRM files and so I can easily hook up to other computers without re-setting the mode.

Cool, thanks

You can also tell which mode is active with your PC by the sound it makes when the device is recognized.  Microsoft chose different “bells” for either mode.  You can switch modes on the Sansa, connect, and hear the different “bells” for each mode.  It’s a helpful reminder if you’ve manually switched modes.

Bob  :wink: