USB Mode

I do not see in the Fuze User Guide an explanation of the USB mode.  What do these two acronyms stand for: MTP and MSC? 

Lazy me.  Sorry, I looked them up in Wikipedia.  My understanding is that MTP is the prefered one for music.  Is auto-detect the best setting?

Auto detect is best because if you ever plug it into Windows it will automatically be MTP, but if you plug it in to Mac or Linux, it will automatically be MSC

Thank you.  I use Windows so I will set it to Auto-detect.

@gabe565 wrote:
Auto detect is best because if you ever plug it into Windows it will automatically be MTP, but if you plug it in to Mac or Linux, it will automatically be MSC

That’s assuming you want MTP mode on Windows. I find the inability to edit tag info on songs already copied to the Fuze to be a great reason not to use MTP.

There was a thread about the differences here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=552

Yikes!  TMI (too much information.)  But thank you nonetheless.  I read the thread you sent but I am a newbie to the Fuze, having gotten tired of the tiny one line screen of the Creative Zen. 

I am currently trying to figure out why I cannot get the cover art to show up on the Fuze.  I watched the videos and tried both methods but no luck.  

And I am also wondering why the Fuze menu does not show up on the Fuze when it is connected to my PC.   All the screen shows is the"connecting" logo.

Can you help me either of those two issues?

Carol

@carolmae wrote:

Yikes!  TMI (too much information.)  But thank you nonetheless.  I read the thread you sent but I am a newbie to the Fuze, having gotten tired of the tiny one line screen of the Creative Zen. 

I am currently trying to figure out why I cannot get the cover art to show up on the Fuze.  I watched the videos and tried both methods but no luck.  

And I am also wondering why the Fuze menu does not show up on the Fuze when it is connected to my PC.   All the screen shows is the"connecting" logo.

Can you help me either of those two issues?

Carol

USB modes: Basically if you have DRM files (copy protected WMA files) or you want to use Windows Media Player to manage your Fuze, stick with MTP.  Otherwise, MSC is a better choice as it’s a much simpler implementation and gives you far more options for tools you can use.  Even if you choose MTP mode, I find it’s better to explicity select MTP rather than use Auto.

Cover art: For each album you need to have a folder.jpg file in the album folder on the Fuze.  The Fuze does not support album art embedded in the WMA/MP3 file.

Connected screen:  This is expected behavior.  When you are connected to your PC you can be adding/editing/deleting files on the Fuze, so the Fuze menu is disabled to avoid confilcts.  Note if you get a wall unit USB charger you will be able to play the Fuze at the same time since there is no data connection, just power.