"USB Mode" function on Settings menu

I recently updated my firmware to V01.01.15B, and noticed a new “USB Mode” menu under Settings.  It has two selections, “Auto Detect” and “MTP”.

I’m not sure I understand why this menu has “MTP” and not “MSC”.  If the Clip is connected to a system that supports MTP, it will use MTP by default.  If it’s connected to a system that doesn’t support MTP, you obviously can’t force it into MTP mode.

If I saw “MSC” on this menu, it would make more sense.

Use MTP mode to make it work in “Plays From Device”  mode on the Xbox.  The XBox would not enter MTP mode in “Auto Detect setting”.   For PC usage  Autodetect is fine.
In Plays From Device, the XBOX will be able to navigate and play the Clip’s Content,  even DRM protected stuff from Rhapsody!

I wanted to update my software but I don’t seem to have a USB mode under my settings menu! My software version is V01.01.11A. Help!

sailor wrote:

I wanted to update my software but I don’t seem to have a USB mode under my settings menu! My software version is V01.01.11A. Help!

The USB mode menu is not for the purpose of updating the firmware; it’s been added to the latest firmware to allow people to access the Clip through their Xbox (or so I hear).

All you need to do to update your firmware is to download the Sansa Firmware Updater:

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1376

and then connect your Clip to your PC.

I also found it confusing, and frustrating, since I would like to be able to permanently switch it into MSC mode rather than having to do the Lock/Press button thing when plugging it in.  If anyone from sandisk is reading this, please add this in the next firmware release!