USB Device not recognized

I started encountering USB device not recognized last December.  Windows ‘assured’ me that it was the player had gone bad.  I asked Santa to bring me a new player for Christmas.  That one worked as plug and play for about 2 weeks.  I tried to install new hardware, formatting player, formatting computer…you name it I have tried it and I still get error code 10.  I have spent countless hours on trying to solve the mystery of error code 10.  I’ve chatted with tech support, scoured the forums, googled the code…you name it I’ve searched it.

So…here’s the count.  Of 7 computers and three operating systems (XP, Vista and Windows 7) only 2 of the 7 recognize the Sansa Fuze. 

That being said, here is what I have finally decided.  This is not a Windows issue…Sansa Fuze is piece of **bleep** and I will never own another one! 

mhouse8228 wrote:

I started encountering USB device not recognized last December.  Windows ‘assured’ me that it was the player had gone bad.  I asked Santa to bring me a new player for Christmas.  That one worked as plug and play for about 2 weeks.  I tried to install new hardware, formatting player, formatting computer…you name it I have tried it and I still get error code 10.  I have spent countless hours on trying to solve the mystery of error code 10.  I’ve chatted with tech support, scoured the forums, googled the code…you name it I’ve searched it.

So…here’s the count.  Of 7 computers and three operating systems (XP, Vista and Windows 7) only 2 of the 7 recognize the Sansa Fuze. 

That being said, here is what I have finally decided.  This is not a Windows issue…Sansa Fuze is piece of **bleep** and I will never own another one! 

I don’t suppose you tried MSC mode…

Yep…tried that

mhouse8228 wrote:
Yep…tried that

Different USB ports?

Every one of them…

Which operating systems recognized it? Are you always going to direct to computer (no hubs)? Have you tried looking in Device Manager?

Both computers that recognize it are XP OS.  I have tried connecting through hubs and directly to computer with the same result.  I have tried going through Device Manager and uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.  When you first click on the Unknown Device in the USB section, it says there is no driver installed.  When you update or uninstall and update, it says drivers are up to date.  If I use Add Hardware is when I get the error code 10.  Thanks for taking interest in this.  Aside from the one HUGE issue…I love my Sansa.  Bookmarking is so much less complicated with the Fuze than Creative Zen.

Good old XP.

Since the Fuze is connecting to XP the problem is not with the Fuze.If you still have free Windows customer support for your Win7 computer, you might tell them that and demand to escalate.

Code 10 is Windows’ all-purpose error for driver problems.

Probably you’ve tried those, but there they are. Vista and Win7 have a lot of security hurdles built in that XP does not. One of those could be getting in the way. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to figure out and Windows isn’t particularly helpful. 

You have may already tried all this, but I suggest, first, put it in MSC mode. That uses Windows generic USB driver. 

Make sure you are logged in as Administrator in Vista and Win7.

Then try going into Device Manager and uninstalling the USB ports on your computer. Careful if you have a webcam or something–it’s probably also a USB device, and if you uninstall it you might have to install its driver again. 

Reboot, Windows will discover its USB ports and reinstall the drivers. 

Turn off your internet connection and turn off your antivirus (in case that’s blocking the connection). Then try connecting again. 

If you do make the connection, turn on antivirus and see if you can make the Fuze trusted. 

Regardless, don’t forget to turn on antivirus before going online. 

You might also look through M$ support for “MTP Porting Kit.” That can sometimes help fix connections in MTP Mode. 

Thanks for the suggestions!  I really think Sandisk needs to deal with this…if you search to forums, this is not an uncommon problem!

Can XP be installed in place of Vista??  I love XP and have always regretted not getting it on here.

I have tried the device manager solution so I’m going to try the MTP Tool.

Thanks again!

OMG!

The MTP Porting kit totally worked!

Dude (or dudette) - You rock!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I appreciate the time you spent replying! 

:smiley:

That’s funny–the Porting Kit is usually a last resort for XP. The later systems are supposed to be all upgraded with it already. Gotta love M$. Glad it worked. 

I personally am keeping XP till the last hard drive of my last XP computer makes its last clickety death rattle. And I just bought a cheap XP netbook for after that. 

Whether you can “downgrade” to XP (I consider it an improvement) depends on the particular computer. The drivers that allow Windows to run the display, keyboard, audio, video, speakers, ports, etc. all have to exist in versions written for XP–which in turn depends on the manufacturers of all those hardware components. Often they do exist.

The best way to find out would be to contact your computer manufacturer’s help line (or a user forum) and provide the exact model number. And of course, you have to pay for XP…

Dude or dudette? I am a mere geometric figure. 

Yep…fixed both lickety split.  Again, thanks for all the time you devoted to my frustrations!

I just updated the firmware on my Fuze and now when I connect to the desktop I am getting a “USB device not recognized, one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it” message.

I downloaded Windows Media Player 11, downloaded the M$ MTP, reloaded the sansa updater, checked for Windows updates, played with the recovery, changed the settings to MTP, restore my desktop back two weeks, really everything I read in the forum.

The device is read on my labtop without a problem. I really think this problem started with the new firmware. Please help me, I have had wonderful use of the Fuze for a good year now.

My desktop runs on Windows XP, my labtop Windows 7.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Randy

The good news is that one of your computers can recognize the Fuze, so all is not lost.

First, uninstall the Sansa Updater.  It’s not needed and there will be no future updates for the player.  It’s now a “legacy” player and the Updater will just take up space and use up your computer’s system resources for nothing.

Next, set your player to MSC mode and reinstall the firmware manually.  There is a sticky thread on the top of the board that has a link to the download of the lastest firmware and instructions on how to do it manually.   Just check which version, v1 or v2 your player is.  Most likely, if bought new, it’ll be a v2.

After the fuze updates the firmware again, go into settings->system settings->USB mode and choose which mode you normally use.  Updating the firmware resets some of the settings back to their default ones.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the driver?