USB conexion

I have a 4Gb clip with latest firmware (cheers to that)… and I also have an Archos AV500… which has an USB Host feature…

This allow me to plug many MSC devices to a female USB conector to my Archos and this would let me see, play tranfer, edit content on the external device…

However… when I first get the clip and plug it to the Archos (note that the archos usb host is USB 1.1) the clip would only charge itself, sometimes without displaying the “Conected to PC” screen so i was able to use it while charging… Other times it was actually recognized by the Archos and display the conexion so finally I could tranfer songs from my 30gb player to the clip on the go (without a pc)… This worked very well for many weeks…

But yesterday i stop recognizing the clip… so it went back to where it was… ramdomly displaying the conexion (without being show in the archos) or just charging…

I dont know how to make sure the archos recognize the clip every time I want… so Ill be able to tranfer songs (thats mostly what I do)…

Cool note: sometimes I leave my Archos charging at night and the clip plugged to it… so both charge out of the Archos wall charger… so my laptop could sleep…

help apreciated

The minimum requirement of USB 2.0 for the Clip is there for a reason. If you get it to charge on a USB 1.1, it may not charge fully. The problem with the Clip not being recognized every time by the computer is also a symptom of not having USB 2.0.

Actually, the USB host mode can be hampered when one of the devices isn’t fully charged.  This is a completely separate issue from USB1.1/2.0.

I’d love it if the host mode were enabled on the Sansa, but the issue is a probable can of worms with content providers.  Well, DRM files would transfer but wouldn’t play on the second device, but files without DRM would.

Bob  :wink:

Thanx for your answers…

anyway… here it is a picture of it working

Archos AV500 - Sansa Clip. Conexion

In the Archos screen, the left panel is whats inside of the Clip… the right panel is the Archos folder structure…

There im able to copy, move, rename, delete files on the clip directly from the archos… oh, also play them… :slight_smile:

I like ir very much when this works…

I will check the battery charging from this method… (it does make sense that i would charge less, but the clip says 100% after doing it) so I will let you know if the battery last the same as charging it from my laptop…

@buc wrote:

Thanx for your answers…

anyway… here it is a picture of it working

Archos AV500 - Sansa Clip. Conexion

In the Archos screen, the left panel is whats inside of the Clip… the right panel is the Archos folder structure…

There im able to copy, move, rename, delete files on the clip directly from the archos… oh, also play them… :slight_smile:

I like ir very much when this works…

I will check the battery charging from this method… (it does make sense that i would charge less, but the clip says 100% after doing it) so I will let you know if the battery last the same as charging it from my laptop…

Extremely cool, BUC.  I love it when gadgets work together.  And thanks again for that custom eq!

All the best,

Brad

OK… yesterday I charged my 4Gb Clip through the USB Host feature in my Archos AV500… (The Archos was wall-powered all the way… also charging)…

I started playing the clip at 8pm… then I went out…

I came back around 1am… and it was playing…

Finally I woke up at around 8am and saw that it was still playing with little battery left… then I fell sleep…

So the results are that I was able to play +12 hours over my charging method… and this was more than enough for me :)…

I just found out that it was the USB HOST CABLE that I was using… what was making a bad conexion… (sometimes work sometimes dont)…

Anyway I have another one and it work great!

So if any of you has a PVP with USB Host capability… try the clip on it… (on MSC)… Its awsome!..