Unwanted gaps in playback between tracks for opera and broadway soundtracks

I often listen to recordings of operas and broadway soundtracks, which are often recorded as one continuous piece of music. The producers usually put in tracks to help the user navigate back to a favorite part - but these often occur in the middle of a passage since there really is no break intended between the sections.

Is there a way on the Fuze to disable it from inserting the 1-2 second silence each time it rolls over one of these track changes? They are indeed different files on the disk - but are meant to play one after the other without interuption.

You are seeking the Holy Grail of digital music playback … gapless play. Very few mp3 players can actually do this, although the mythical Rio Karma managed this years ago …

There are technical reasons why it is difficult to achieve this feat, but there are more than a few people here who would like the Fuze to be able to handle gapless playback. Unfortunately, people who like to listen to musicals, concept and concert albums without jarring gaps are regarded as rather precious or a minority and working on the facility rather a diversion from cramming ever more music on to the device.

Please Sansa developers, tell us if gapless is even possible on the Fuze (I believe that since the processor has the power to play back .ogg and .flac it should be able to handle gapless), and just when it will figure in your calculations.

Gapless would enhance many forms of music and give the Fuze a market lead.

Keep an eye out for something called Rockbox, look it up on Google, it is the solution to your problem, it just isnt made for the Fuze yet, although they are working on it supposedly and will have it out in 2009

Gapless playback is the the dev. team’s ‘to-do’ list. No word yet on an expected release. :wink:

Those (we) who regard gapless playback as a necessity with any device for music reproduction need to keep on bugging the manufacturers of mp3 players.

Every other week I see that issue pop up on mp3 forums. I hope we get a response soon, preferably effective with the Fuze - an otherwise great mp3 player.

Thanks!

@tapeworm wrote:
Gapless playback is the the dev. team’s ‘to-do’ list. No word yet on an expected release. :wink:

Then this is good news … assuming it’s not item #101 :wink:

@joechip wrote:

You are seeking the Holy Grail of digital music playback … gapless play. Very few mp3 players can actually do this, although the mythical Rio Karma managed this years ago …

All the players I’ve had (Rio CD, Neuros, E270/Rockbox) have been able to play gapless on Ogg files,  so it isn’t like it takes an extra new/powerful processor.  It’s just a matter of the guy writing the firmware wanting to do it.

For the first 2 players, gapless Ogg came in firmware updates by consumer request on the company’s forums, just like this one. 

MP3 is a little harder since you can’t code an arbitrary song length.  There is a fairly standard solution where the encoder puts in a flag telling the player how long to play the file (so it skips the empty data at the end). 

The problem isn’t just gaps between tracks though, but of tracks that contain several seconds of quit after the music stopped, or before it starts. If someone is determined enough they could edit the WAV files, take out the quiet time, combine tracks together, then make an mp3 file. Others like me just play the tracks the way they are, and don’t obsess over gaps in the music.

Message Edited by JK98 on 12-23-2008 11:09 AM

@jk98 wrote:
The problem isn’t just gaps between tracks though, but of tracks that contain several seconds of quit after the music stopped, or before it starts. If someone is determined enough they could edit the WAV files, take out the quiet time, combine tracks together, then make an mp3 file. Others like me just play the tracks the way they are, and don’t obsess over gaps in the music.
Message Edited by JK98 on 12-23-2008 11:09 AM

If there’s that much gap, several seconds, it should only be because it was there on the CD.  The places where peole want gapless, there was no gap on the CD.

The other solution is to rip the whole CD as a single wav file and manually (or by program) put the track cuts at places that mark a natural end of an mp3 frame.  That still means you need a player that will load the start of the next track an be ready to play it immediatly when the current track ends.

Or, if it really bugs you that much, get a freeware MP3 editor and load all the mp3s in question into it,as the seperate tracks that they are and manually run them together so there is no gaps or even overlap the start and stops, clubmix style and save it as one single track of x length.   When in the MP3 player of choice, it will simply play as one track, much as podcasts do.

Indeed my MP3 file ripped with windows media player has an unwanted gap. Looking with Audacity I can see that at the begining of track 2 of my Mascagni- Cavalleria Rusticana recording there is an unwanted of about 0.027 seconds. This is large enough to be audible as a tiny click when the two tracks are spliced together - BUT is much smaller than what I hear when the Fuze plays them.  Track 1 ends abruptly with no decrease in the rather large booming sound at that point.