Two Sansa Fuze's DIED in the same day within 30 minutes of listening..

I purchased two Sansa Fuze’s today at Best Buy first one died after 30 minutes of use.  Returned to Best Buy for another and it also died and will not turn on.  Spent the whole down downloading only to have them both die and not turn back on with 30 minutes of listening.  Neither was reconized by my computer after they died.  To bad I really liked it but now not sure if I would trust this brand or recomend to my friends now.  Must have got a bad batch.  Now for my 3rd trip back to Best Buy tomorrow.

my 8gb unit is cranking away.  don’t quit !  you must not be denied the joy of the fuze

Hold your horses!  Are you charging these new machines first?  Out of the box, there’s a group of sample songs pre-loaded to listen to, but until it’s charged that first time, it’s hard to judge where the problem is.

A full charge takes about 3 hours or so.  When you plugged the Fuzes in, what did you see on the display?  Was the battery indicator showing that it was charging?  If you had successfully transferred music files, it verifies that the device was communicating properly, at least.

Sometimes, if the device cannot establish a connection, or if the USB port cannot deliver enough current (USB 2.0 port is recommended), you may not be charging.

In the case where the device will not respond, first try holding the power switch ON for 10 seconds, release, then try again.  Watch the battery indicator on the Fuze to see its status.

For their size, price, amnd sound, it’s hard to beat these machines!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Yes both units were fully charged.  I did get the second one working by resetting it.  So far it has not done it again.  I also downloaded and installed latest firmware.  I was not aware of the reset to try with the first one.  As long it keeps working I think they are great.

I’m sad to report that my Fuze shut down 4 times while using it Sunday.  Resetting it has worked.  Blasted my ears as it comes back on Full Volume.  It seems to shut down after the screen goes blank and I turn the thumb wheel.  Does anyone have any ideas why it might be shutting down requiring a reset? It’s not doing it while playing the same song or anything.  Plus my first Fuze shut down as well.  I have also read here that it was happening to someone else.  I set the screen time out to be 60 seconds which so far it has not done it. 

Is it worth it to go get a third one?  I like the player but don’t think I should have to reset it several times a day during normal use.

Have you heard anything on this issue? I have it on my brand new 8Gb Fuze. Newest Firmware installed, and battery fully charged. When screen is black and I move the wheel it will sometimes die and require a full reset to get going again.

Gee, I wonder if any of this is the joy of the Version 2 hardware…what firmware version do you have?

Doubt it, since all but the post just prior to you was from 7 months ago.

This is one of the problems that happen when new members ‘piggyback’ onto an old, existing thread rather than starting a new one. People don’t notice the dates of the post and assume because it’s been bumped to the top of the 1st page that everything is current. :wink:

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 12-14-2008 11:33 AM

@radams wrote:
Have you heard anything on this issue? I have it on my brand new 8Gb Fuze. Newest Firmware installed, and battery fully charged. When screen is black and I move the wheel it will sometimes die and require a full reset to get going again.

If nobody has responded in 7 months with a solution that can be done by the user, you can assume none exists. If it continues this behavior repeatedly after re-setting it, it’s defective. Take (or send) it back and get a new one!

@radams wrote:

That’s odd, I’ve had the same issue a few times.  It only happened with minimum brightness and the backlight on 5 seconds, and the volume on the lowest setting.  I’d turn it down one more, and the player would die requiring a reset.  I mentioned this, and sansafix was able to duplicate, we all assumed it was due to the 5 second thing.  So as a result of our efforts, SanDisk included a fix for the “5s bug” in the new FW, and I haven’t had the problem since.  But if you do in fact have the brand new FW, then this is definitely something to be concerned about, as it was supposedly fixed…

Message Edited by Cruiserdude on 12-14-2008 12:21 AM