Two questions Podcast and video related

Hello.

I just recently got my Fuze 8gb. I have always used Creative Zen, but wanted video capabilities. My questions are this: Is there a reason why my Fuse plays my podcasts in the reverse order? I load hours 1, 2 and 3, but it plays them back 3, 2 and 1. I have been tagging them as music, and they play in the right order if I do it this way. Just curious if I am doing something wrong. I am using WMP for all of my downloading of music/podcasts. 

Second question is this. Is there a way to download only the audio portion of a video (movie)? I use my Fuze about 5 hours a day, and sometimes enjoy listening to movies instead of music. I just wondered if I could download just the audio, in hopes of saving space. I love this player.  

@brackneyc wrote:

Hello.

I just recently got my Fuze 8gb. I have always used Creative Zen, but wanted video capabilities. My questions are this: Is there a reason why my Fuse plays my podcasts in the reverse order? I load hours 1, 2 and 3, but it plays them back 3, 2 and 1. I have been tagging them as music, and they play in the right order if I do it this way. Just curious if I am doing something wrong. I am using WMP for all of my downloading of music/podcasts. 

Second question is this. Is there a way to download only the audio portion of a video (movie)? I use my Fuze about 5 hours a day, and sometimes enjoy listening to movies instead of music. I just wondered if I could download just the audio, in hopes of saving space. I love this player.  

Try this:  There is a track number in the tag,   edit this so they are in order     track  1,2,3,4,5 etc.

Where are you downloading your videos,    if they are from youtube try http://mediaconverter.org/   If they are downloaded to your computer, there are conversion programs that will convert mp4/mov/avi and other video formats and strip out the audio.   Maybe someone can suggest one.

Cheers,

For the backwards podcast/videocast see if you have the latest firmware.  That corrected the problem.

For videos, when I open my DVD’s on my computer, there’s 2 folders, one for video and one for audio.  That’s through anydvdconverter.  I haven’t tried audio, but that’s an idea…

I’ll try both suggestions. I have looked at the updating of the firmware, but have never done that before. Looks complicated. Can a non-compeuter guy do it pretty easily?

@brackneyc wrote:
I’ll try both suggestions. I have looked at the updating of the firmware, but have never done that before. Looks complicated. Can a non-compeuter guy do it pretty easily?

Yeah, download the Sansa Firmware Updater, it will auto update for you when your Fuze is plugged in.  Simple as anything, Many here will poo poo the idea as they report lots of trouble with it but I never had any problem with it.

@ebouc wrote:

Yeah, download the Sansa Firmware Updater, it will auto update for you when your Fuze is plugged in.  Simple as anything, Many here will poo poo the idea as they report lots of trouble with it but I never had any problem with it.

It’s not so much that there’s problems with it, but that 99% of the time it is un-necessary, un-used and a resource hog! Everytime you plug in your player, whether it be to load or delete songs, photos, videos or to charge, the Updater will attempt to find an update for you. This slows you computer down and is very annoying, since sometimes one could realistically be connecting several times in one day.

Since the firmware updates only come once every few months, it seems pointless (to most of the regular and more experinced users here) to have this software constantly ‘nagging’ you and slowing your computer down just to have it do it’s duty a few times a year. Manually updating firmware is easy (the instructions are in Release post with the link to it) and takes less time to do than if the Updater did it.

AS long as you check her on the forum every couple of months, you’re sure to find out about any new releases. If fact, the next one is scheduled to be out before the end of March. This, of course is always subject to change, but it’s an approximate time-frame. :smiley:

@ebouc wrote:

It’s not so much that there’s problems with it, but that 99% of the time it is un-necessary, un-used and a resource hog! Everytime you plug in your player, whether it be to load or delete songs, photos, videos or to charge, the Updater will attempt to find an update for you. This slows your computer down and is very annoying, since sometimes one could realistically be connecting several times in one day.

Since the firmware updates only come once every few months, it seems pointless (to most of the regular and more experinced users here) to have this software constantly ‘nagging’ you and slowing your computer down just to have it do it’s duty a few times a year. Manually updating firmware is easy (the instructions are in Release post with the link to it) and takes less time to do than if the Updater did it.

AS long as you check her on the forum every couple of months, you’re sure to find out about any new releases. If fact, the next one is scheduled to be out before the end of March. This, of course is always subject to change, but it’s an approximate time-frame. :smiley:

So I’m better off loading the new firmware as it is released as opposed to having it check every time I plug it in? Makes sense. Will the download prompt me for manual updates? Or will it load on my computer and do what it does.

Just follow the step-by-step directions in the Firmware Release Notes for manual install. Extract or un-zip the .zip file and drag & drop to your player’s root directory. When you un-plug form the computer, it will install and update itself.

Easy-Peasy Lemon Squeezey. :smiley:

Just a point of Refrence, didnt they do the reverse order on purpose for the podcast? As I recall, the inverse was so the newest podcast plays first. IE. 1-30-09 then 1-23-09, then 1-16-09. Newest iinfo first.

My podcasts are broken down by date and by the hour of the show (typically three hours in a show. Always plays the last hour first. I have been tagging them as music, finding them by artist and playing them that way. Works fine this way, I was just curious.

Message Edited by brackneyc on 01-30-2009 08:12 PM