Two issues with new 8GB Clip: Playlists & battery charging percentage

Hi, picked up an 8GB Clip at Wal-Mart’s big sale yesterday … actually two, got another for the Mrs. … to go along with my 2 GB clip and 8GB (plus 8GB SDHD card) Fuze. And I’m having a couple of issues with it that I don’t have with either of my other two SanDisk players.

1. Playlists: I use playlists, am in MTP mode, I use either WM11 or Media Monkey to compile them, whichever strikes my fancy at a given moment. The thing is, on the 2GB Clip, it will play my playlists in continuous succession, like from playlist A to Z, which is the way I want it. One playlist ends, it goes to the next one. And when I use the sleep function, as I often do, when I turn the 2GB Clip back on after it shuts down, it picks up right where it shut off. The 8GB Clip is doing neither. Once it finishes a playlist, it goes back to the first song in the playlist and stays there in limbo until I manually select another playlist and hit “play.” Also, I noticed that when I restarted the player after it shut down via the sleep function, again it was at the start of the playlist I was in. It’s not a killer to where I’d take the thing back, but I really would like the 8GB to behave exactly like the 2GB Clip; i.e., once playlist A finishes, playlist B starts, and when I turn it on after it shuts down via the sleep function it picks up where it left off. Anyone know how I can do that?

2. Battery charging percentage: This is a mnor one because the unit apparently is charging, but with the 2GB Clip and my Fuze, when I go to My Computer, click on the icon for the player and right click into “Properties,” I can keep tabs on the percentage of charge and how it’s progressing. That is not working with the 8GB Clip. When I plug it into the USB port, the percentage of charge does not move. The thing is, I can unplug the player and plug it back in, and the percentage of charge actually increases from where it was before, but it still doesn’t move any higher. Again, this is not a killer to where I’d take the player back and it appears the unit actually is charging, but I’d like to be able to keep tabs with it just like with my other player. Anyone know how I can fix that?

On edit: I’m using firmware v02.01.32A, updated via Sansa Updater when I plugged the player in for the first time.

Message Edited by BigG94 on 04-04-2009 05:41 AM

I have found the same thing with the battery charging with the 8gig clip,and going to the properties.When I check the battery power,the indicator on the properties side “freezes”,although the clip is still charging.I have found this to be just a minor inconvenience,as the clip actually charges quickly and completely.

Yeah, the battery thing is not a huge deal for me, maybe they can fix it in a firmware update down the road. The playlist thing is a bigger issue, although as I said still not a killer. I know nothing is “wrong” with the playlists or any tracks because the same playlists have been on my other Clip and my Fuze and have worked just fine as far as advancing to the next playlist after one finishes. Maybe I’ll do a format and reload everything and see what happens.

Just out of curiosity:  does your 2gb Clip have the latest firmware as well?  I’m just wondering if the issues are the result of different firmwares.  If not, I’m wondering if there is a firmware glitch and if manually reapplying the firmware on your 8gb Clip could help.

@miikerman wrote:
Just out of curiosity:  does your 2gb Clip have the latest firmware as well?  I’m just wondering if the issues are the result of different firmwares.  If not, I’m wondering if there is a firmware glitch and if manually reapplying the firmware on your 8gb Clip could help.

Yeah, the 2GB is up to date (I’m kind of persnickety about such things :smiley:). I tried manually reapplying the firmware on the 8GB and it actually fixed the battery percentage issue, but it did not fix the playlist issue. When I play a playlist, after the final track it still goes back to the first track in the playlist and stops and won’t go on until I manually switch to the next playlist and hit “play.” And it does that fine. I’ve just gotten used to the other Clip automatically switching to the next playlist where I don’t have to manually do anything. Maybe it’s just a particular quirk of the 8GB clip. And it’s probably not that big an issue for some folks, the main reason it is for me is that in addition to music, I listen to a lot of old-time radio broadcasts on my Clips and Fuze (I collect OTR broadcasts) and there are shows for which I have multiple playlists set up and I like to listen to them in succession. I could put them all in one playlist, but that can sometimes make for awfully long playlists. Maybe I ought to just tag this as a “request” for future firmware consideration.
Message Edited by BigG94 on 04-05-2009 06:26 AM

I don’t use playlists much–just weird that the same firmware operates playlists differently on different capacity Clips.  There’s no setting on the Clips that could be affecting this, is there?