Trouble copying music files

I’ve had my player for quite a few years. Yesterday I tried to add a few more songs using the same process I’ve used in the past, which is drag and drop. Each attempt was a partial failure. When I check my player I can see the name of the song, artist and length, however the file size is 0 kb. Please note that existing songs on my player work fine and have for at least 2 years.

From there I figured a version update might solve the problem. Trying to download the newer version also failed. BTW, the version on my player is 0.102.18A. Unable to update I then tried to do a factory reset, which also failed. When I answer “yes” to reset to factory defaults, then menu goes back to the setting menu. 

Any ideas? Again, unable to fully copy mp3 files, unable to update to newer version and unable to reset to factory settings.

Thanks!

According to your f/w version, it sounds as though you have an e200v1 player. Is this correct? You posted in the Fuze board.

This f/w version is completely fine. There’s no need to update to the latest one. I’m still running the .18 f/w on mine.

In regards to your issue, maybe you can give us more info? Are you using a PC or Mac? What USB mode is the player set to (Auto, MTP or MSC)? Are you attempting to add files to the player or memory card? Are you sure you have enough available memory space to fit the files you’re trying to add? What is the format of the files (.mp3, .wma)? You indicated they were .mp3. Are you sure? “Protected” .wma files won’t work.

FYI, resetting to factory defaults only changes your personal settings you’ve set (Backlight, etc.); it does not change anything with the operation of the player. For that, you neeed to format the player.

It appears that I do indeed have the e200v1 (actually shows e270 on my PC) and as for posting in the wrong forum, I apologize. I also have a second player with this f/w version; V03.01.11A . My second player works fine, has 3 times a many songs and has a completly different folder set up as compared to the player giving me trouble. I have attached a picture of the differences. The image on the left is the file structure of the bad player while the image on the right is from the 2nd player  I will attempt to answer your questions and BTW thank you for your reply and interest.

Are you using a PC or Mac? I am using a PC. 

What USB mode is the player set to (Auto, MTP or MSC)?   The bad player is does not show that option on the menu. On my good player it appears to be MTP. 

Are you attempting to add files to the player or memory card? Are you sure you have enough available memory space to fit the files you’re trying to add?    I’m adding files to the player, I put in an empty memory card and it is not recognized. Yes, the player has enough available memory. Right now there are 159 mp3 files on the player. 

What is the format of the files (.mp3, .wma)? You indicated they were .mp3. Are you sure? “Protected” .wma files won’t work. The files are MP3. These are files that I have had for several  or for quite a few years.  These are files that I cycle off and on the player(s). Again my second player has 3 times a many songs.

To recap my situation, when I copy a MP3 to the bad player, it shows the name, type of file, artist and track. The file size is 0.  

Thanks again for your interest and input.

I connected both players up to my PC and took the attached screen shot. Also, your question; What USB mode is the player set to (Auto, MTP or MSC)?   My original answer was incorrect. "The bad player is does not show that option on the menu. On my good player it appears to be MTP."      Checking menu options today, it is in fact just the opposite. The bad player is set on MTP. 

Menu options are slightly different between the two players. On my good player (e280) it has the option to format the device. The bad player (e270) does not. The e280 has a menu option to turn the record button off, the e270 does not.  

Just a little more information to help solve this situation.  Thanks!

I may have missed it, but can you set the USB mode on the bad player to MSC mode?  MTP mode can be finicky, to say the least.

That has not been mentioned. I’ll give it a try and report back. Thanks

I change the USB mode and now the player is stuck on refresh database. I then did the format option of turning the player off, flipped the lock button, hold the record button and turning back on. My PC recognized the player and I attempted the format option. It would not complete. I then turned the player back on and it goes to the refresh database screen. I let it sit for about 1 hour with no luck. I’m glad I have a second player because I think this one has bit the dust.

Looking on line for these players I had a case of sticker shock. I do not remember paying that kind of money when I bought these back in 09 or 10.

The E270 is/was a rather unique device, and formatting it is a bit more involved. Perhaps this old posting will help . . .

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-other-MP3-players/PC-Does-Not-Recognize-E270/m-p/271627/highlight/true#M16938

You might also want to do a search in the All Other Mp3 Players board for other relevant discussions on your player. :wink:

If you have a microSD card in there take it out, switch on, see what happens.

I have no idea why, but switching between MTP and MSC can sometimes lead to weird behavior that ends if you are just using internal memory.  You may well be able to format the unit with the command from Settings/System Settings.

Stuck on Refresh can also mean a bad sector that you can fix with chkdsk when connected to the computer (or Properties/Tools/Error-Checking/ on the drive).