Tracks Greater Than 4GB

Does anyone know if it’s possible to add tracks that are greater than 4GB onto the 8GB Sansa Plus?

Message Edited by pbar on 04-19-2010 03:09 AM

Probably, but (and I know I’m going to be sorry I asked) why would you want to?

Maybe, but why would you want to?

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 04-19-2010 09:09 AM

depends on the filesystem. what’s the fs on the clip+?

FAT32.  Is the 4GB file a video?

Bob  :dizzy_face:

no it will not support files larger than 4GB. the firmware does not understand NTFS and if you format the device in NTFS you will get a message that the FAT is corrupted then you will have to reformat in FAT32

Thanks. That’s what I suspected. But was wondering if there’s a way to get a 4GB file on there.

Try using 7zip or another archiving program to create a split archive. This way you could split it into 4 1GB files that can be merged back into one file later.

Very good idea!

That’s okay if the TC just wants to use the player as a means to transfer the file to another PC, but it doesn’t help if he wants to be able to play it on the Clip as a single unit (which is what it sounds like from the original question).

I’d be curious to know what files that the Clip+ can play are more than 4GB in size …

I could only guess myself, that’s just how I interpreted “if it’s possible to add tracks that are greater than 4GB”.

Maybe a single-file audiobook version of the Bible, or something similar?

gwk1967 wrote:

I could only guess myself, that’s just how I interpreted “if it’s possible to add tracks that are greater than 4GB”.

Maybe a single-file audiobook version of the Bible, or something similar?

I read that the same way. Holy Cow! Heaven help you if you would ever lose your place and need to FF & REW to a particular point in the file; the battery would run out of juice before you got there! :stuck_out_tongue:

For a digital Bible, I’d definitely retag the tracks using MP3Tag , so I could locate them as Genesis, Mark, et cetera.  Retagging this way would make finding chapters so much easier.

Scanning through them as smaller files would be an improvement as well.

Bob   :smileyvery-happy:

I would love to see support for NTFS or another journaling file system (e.g. ext3,ext4 ) in a future firmware upgrade.

Not only to support 4GB+ files, but these file systems also are a lot saver. Much less chance of data corruption if disk access is interrupted for whatever reason.

As long as it’s not exFAT… <- now that’s what I call a total failure :wink:

I had a large audiobook once and like someone already mentioned, it’s a pain if you loose your place.  Never again.  It’s worth the time to split them up into individual chapters.