Too much of a headache

This device is too much of a headache. Purchased it along with one of the SlotRadio cards. The music card works great. As for putting my own music on the device that is a whole other story. Using WindowsXp(Updated with ALL updates) and the Newest version of Windows Media player I have attempted to create simple playlists from my library to sync to the device to no avail.The music format is in wma unprotected.

A few headache points:

1. Device would not connect with computer. A small bubble would keep repeatedly popping up saying MTP device found, and would keep connecting and disconnecting from the computer with no response. Reading the forums I learned that there are two “modes” the device can be in. (Which does technically redefine what USB really stands for and goes outside of what consumers expect out of USB.) So then I switched the “mode” to MSC and the device was found, both the clip and the storage card.
  2. Personally I don’t want or need to know what these “modes” are for. Additional reading of the forums suggested re-installing firmware to correct the “MTP” error. What? Really? I just bought the thing and I have to re-install software?
  3. Once the device was recognized in “MSC mode”(whatever that means) I was able to see the device in windows media player. Great! Created 2 playlists, sync to the device, sucess! Or so I thought. I go into the device to actually play the playlist and I find all the music is just crammed together in one location. No playlists at all. The music is there and it plays fine but not under the “playlist” function of the Clip.
  4. Proceed to read through the forums on the playlist issue to find that I would now need to use some third party crash-ware to edit m3upqrz files to create a playlist on my device when in “MSC mode”. Really?
  5. Another “accepted solution” was to use another media player. The device does not work with Windows Media and I didn’t purchase the unit to need to use another companies software.

Yes the playlist issue seems to have been addressed in the forums a substantial number of times. Given that number it would seem that the issue would have been investigated and corrected by now. The “help” from the company is non-existant; “please hold…”

The intention: Buy device, charge, sync music and enjoy.

The reality: Buy device, charge, troubleshoot issue, research next issue, spend more hours reading about the problems than using the device, return the item to the store. It’s no wonder the Ipod is so popular.

I’ve had no issue in connecting to my computer, under MTP or MSC mode, going from Windows XP to Vista to Win7.  But the easiest solution if there is an issue simply is to switch the USB mode on your player to MSC mode, under which your player is seen as an external drive–easily accomplished.

Nor any issue in transferring and playing music, simply dragging and dropping my music onto the Clip.  But then, I don’t do playlists, and simply listen to my music via CD/album/folder.

I've had no issue in connecting to my computer, under MTP or MSC mode, going from Windows XP to Vista to Win7.  But the easiest solution if there is an issue simply is to switch the USB mode on your player to MSC mode, under which your player is seen as an external drive--easily accomplished.

Nor any issue in transferring and playing music, simply dragging and dropping my music onto the Clip.  But then, I don't do playlists, and simply listen to my music via CD/album/folder.

Personally, with the way I use my players, I don’t like having to use 3rd-party software (like iTunes) to transfer my music–I like to be in charge, rather than the other way around.  And even if you do playlists, I’m not sure I see the difference between having to use 3rd-party software for the Clip or having to use iTunes for an iPod–you have to use software and learn how it works.  From what I’ve read from the playlist folks here, it seems easy enough on the Clip, once you have the software and instructions.

I’ve had no issue in connecting to my computer, under MTP or MSC mode, going from Windows XP to Vista to Win7. But the easiest solution if there is an issue simply is to switch the USB mode on your player to MSC mode, under which your player is seen as an external drive–easily accomplished.

Nor any issue in transferring and playing music, simply dragging and dropping my music onto the Clip. But then, I don’t do playlists, and simply listen to my music via CD/album/folder.  

Personally, with the way I use my players, I don’t like having to use 3rd-party software (like iTunes) to transfer my music–I like to be in charge, rather than the other way around. And even if you do playlists, I’m not sure I see the difference between having to use 3rd-party software for the Clip or having to use iTunes for an iPod–you have to use software and learn how it works. From what I’ve read from the playlist folks here, it seems easy enough on the Clip, once you have the software and instructions.  (It can take some ferreting out, though, to find playlist instructions for the USB mode you’re using and the software you want to use–could be good to have a “Universal Playlist Creation FAQ” stickified above, so searching isn’t needed.)

I’ve had no issue in connecting to my computer, under MTP or MSC mode, going from Windows XP to Vista to Win7. But the easiest solution if there is an issue simply is to switch the USB mode on your player to MSC mode, under which your player is seen as an external drive–easily accomplished.

Nor any issue in transferring and playing music, simply dragging and dropping my music onto the Clip. But then, I don’t do playlists, and simply listen to my music via CD/album/folder.  

Personally, with the way I use my players, I don’t like having to use 3rd-party software (like iTunes) to transfer my music–I like to be in charge, rather than the other way around. And even if you do playlists, I’m not sure I see the difference between having to use 3rd-party software for the Clip or having to use iTunes for an iPod–you have to use software and learn how it works. From what I’ve read from the playlist folks here, it seems easy enough on the Clip, once you have the software and instructions. 

(It can take some ferreting out, though, to find playlist instructions for the USB mode you’re using and the software you want to use–could be good to have a “Universal Playlist Creation FAQ” stickified above, so searching isn’t needed.)