Too late to format card?

OK, suffer an old man’s ramblings if you will… Not tech savvy at all…

8G Fuze, 16G card, loaded up the card with music … but I had no idea that formatting the card was required until I saw threads on the topic here, so the card was not formatted before I loaded it up. I have had several weird things occur (files synched from WMP went the card bit not into the music folder, album art there and then gone, WMP shows the card as only having 14.7G), but these obviously could have been caused by other factors. Should I format the card now or is too late? Why are the drawbacks of not formatting?

Thanks!

The block size, and the differences between binary and decimal, will account for the difference between that theoretical 16GB and what you have.  It’s a matter of simplicity, they couldn’t market the device as a “Well, say 14.7GB give or take” card.  The device is too teeny to silk screen that much on the face.

You also mentioned that you have transferred some music to the card.  This should be visible from Windows Media Player if you click on the Sync tab.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 03-16-2009 09:05 PM

Thanks Bob! So the cards (the ones mfg by Sansa, that is) are ready to go right out of the box? 

@sarsippius wrote:
Thanks Bob! So the cards (the ones mfg by Sansa, that is) are ready to go right out of the box? 

Actually all cards by major manufacturers are. Some have bugs but most are good to go.

There’s no need to format unless you’re having a problem with it. They come pre-formatted.