Too bad about the 4gb, what about the 2?

Hi!  Great forum, need an assist:  Was all set to go w/the 4gb but the screen issue is a killer.  I ride a road bike year round, at least one century each month (100 mile ride,) commute to work, etc, blah, blah, blah. . .Bottom line, I spend a LOT of hours on the bike - much of that in full sun.  So the 4gb is def. out. 

Since a lot of folks here have clips (duh!)  What about the 2gb?  Can you read the screen in bright sunlight (no shade)?   Do you have to “cup your hand” to read the 2gb in full sun?  Appreciate any and all thoughts. . .lots of review sites out there have given me somewhat conflicting reports about the 1 & 2gb clip.  From “not useable in sunlight, like all displays of this type” to “bright enough to be useable outdoors in sunlight.”  

I don’t know anyone with a clip or a Zen Vplus (the “other” player I was considering) so I’m hoping you all can share real world experience!

Thanks,

RideBikes! 

Just did a test for ya.

With the sun at the angle you would expect at 10:15am EST in southwestern Ohio, and the display’s brightness turned all the way up, the display was nearly impossible to read with the sun directly on the display.  As I turned (“0” to “180” degrees) so that the sun was behind the display, it became easier to read, with “possible to read” being achieved (for me) at about a 45 degree angle.

Yeah, but what about 10:30 a.m.?

:wink:

Seriously, though, can any/most computer displays be read with the sun coming down on the display?  Instead, doesn’t one almost always use a display outside shielded from the sun (simply by tilting the display down a bit or turning a bit as PP did)?

Must be nice!  I ride a fair amount too, but where I live, music + bike = death, because there’s a lot of traffic and you really need to hear when cars are coming up behind you.

Good luck with your search!

@miikerman wrote:

Seriously, though, can any/most computer displays be read with the sun coming down on the display?  Instead, doesn’t one almost always use a display outside shielded from the sun (simply by tilting the display down a bit or turning a bit as PP did)?

My iPod Nano 2G’s display is perfectly readable in direct sunlight.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 03-12-2008 02:37 PM

Wow–none of my electronics are, including a laptop.  And, how dare you use those brand words here …   :wink:

@ridebikes wrote:

Hi!  Great forum, need an assist:  Was all set to go w/the 4gb but the screen issue is a killer.  I ride a road bike year round, at least one century each month (100 mile ride,) commute to work, etc, blah, blah, blah. . .Bottom line, I spend a LOT of hours on the bike - much of that in full sun.  So the 4gb is def. out. 

Since a lot of folks here have clips (duh!)  What about the 2gb?  Can you read the screen in bright sunlight (no shade)?   Do you have to “cup your hand” to read the 2gb in full sun?  Appreciate any and all thoughts. . .lots of review sites out there have given me somewhat conflicting reports about the 1 & 2gb clip.  From “not useable in sunlight, like all displays of this type” to “bright enough to be useable outdoors in sunlight.”  

I don’t know anyone with a clip or a Zen Vplus (the “other” player I was considering) so I’m hoping you all can share real world experience!

Thanks,

RideBikes! 

Ridebikes:

I too listen to music when I ride my bikes, which is also frequent. I can confirm that I have attempted all of workarounds suggested on this forum with the 4GB Clip and it unfortunately will definately not work outside (find shade, cup hands over the display and squint, use it in “shuffle” mode only on a pre-selected playlist, etc.). If you accidentaly hit a button on the clip or need to pause it and resume and you lose your place- you’re out of luck and roll the dice by randomly pushing buttons and hope for the best, 'cause you can’t see a darn thing on the display, by any means in daylight! Too bad, 'cause it’s otherwise pretty well suited for outdoor exercise. I may have to stick with "that Green

Fruity Brand’s" shuffle for riding.

BTW- I also equip all of my bikes with rear-view mirrors, to compensate somewhat for the lost safety of listening to tunes while riding, and approach intersections very cautiously. **bleep** well worth it having the tunes along!

CalKidWilly

Message Edited by calkid on 03-12-2008 09:45 AM

Thanks Promised Planet, exactly the kind of info I’m looking for!  Sounds like if I position my hand over the screen & block the sun just a bit I’ll be ok out in the sun?

Miikerman, I hear ya - not expecting to read it w/the sun full on the display, but hoping the above will work. . .'cause I think the clip is about the best format out there for active outdoor sports.  (Although, that said the digital display on my bike computer and my wrist mounted heart monitor are both pretty readable without any “sun block”) 

Cydewaze - yep, traffic/music/death.  Although if you spend any time on bike forums you see a lot of debate on the topic.  Personally, I have 3 modes:  City/In-town = no tunes, Back country roads = moderate to low volume, Bike path = rock on!  I’m really fortunate to live 3 blocks from a 17 mile path.  It goes through mostly woods and some long stretches through farmlands.  I do a 35 mile training loop (out & back) several times/week after work on the path = no cars!.  Also use it as my “escape path” to get out in the country to access the co. roads for longer weekend rides.  Like I said, I’m really fortunate to have that!

Calkid - did you use a previous sansa clip for biking before the 4gb or did you start with the 4gb?

Thanks everyone!  Gotta go back to work (lunch goes by quick!)

@miikerman wrote:
And, how dare you use those brand words here …   :wink:

:wink:

I sometimes prefer my iPod Nano to my Sansa Clip for two reasons:

1. The iPod Nano syncs MUCH faster with MediaMonkey.
  1. The iPod Nano maintains playcount and “last played” data, which can be transferred back to MediaMonkey.  I use playlists which benefit from both.

What my Sansa Clip has going over my iPod Nano … better audio quality, and smaller (in cubic dimensions, anyway).  The better audio quality is hard to beat.

@ridebikes wrote:

Thanks Promised Planet, exactly the kind of info I’m looking for!  Sounds like if I position my hand over the screen & block the sun just a bit I’ll be ok out in the sun?

By “just a bit,” do you mean that you can set your hand at varying degrees of transparency?  :wink:

But yeah, blocking the sun with your hand makes the display visible, though if I were you, I’d make sure I wasn’t cycling past a deep ravine while doing it.

@promisedplanet wrote:

By “just a bit,” do you mean that you can set your hand at varying degrees of transparency?  :wink:

But yeah, blocking the sun with your hand makes the display visible, though if I were you, I’d make sure I wasn’t cycling past a deep ravine while doing it.

LOL!  

But this is great, sounds like the 2gb will do the job in the sun.  I’m glad 'cause I like the clip form a lot more than the Zen V or the (Nano) Fuze form.  No doubt the 4gb will have a strong following among users who don’t care if it can come outside to play. . .and I’ll just have to settle for less capacity.

@ridebikes wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

LOL!  

But this is great, sounds like the 2gb will do the job in the sun.  I’m glad 'cause I like the clip form a lot more than the Zen V or the (Nano) Fuze form.  No doubt the 4gb will have a strong following among users who don’t care if it can come outside to play. . .and I’ll just have to settle for less capacity.

It’s great for physical activity, too.  I wear mine running at the gym all the time, and don’t even notice it’s there since it’s so small and light :smileyvery-happy:

@jay_dee63 wrote:

It’s great for physical activity, too.  I wear mine running at the gym all the time, and don’t even notice it’s there since it’s so small and light :smileyvery-happy:

Good to hear.

I have a cheapo (got it for free) player right now with a 1 line monochrome display that I rubber band to my aero bars.  It works, but kind of a pain sometimes with the earbud cord.   I haven’t handled a Sansa clip yet but was thinking I could clip it onto the edge of my jersey sleeve and it will pretty much disappear.  Brilliant design!

Thanks Jay!

Just for chucks, I took some regular headphones (lightweight) and wrapped the cord around the top, and then clipped my Clip to the top.  I took them out jogging.  I was pretty surprised that the weight of the Clip didn’t pull the headphones down off my head, and it was great having no dangling cord.  Of course they don’t look very fashionable :wink: … but actually, if you put the Clip right next to one of the speakers, it doesn’t look half-bad, and the Clip is so light that you don’t notice the extra weight on one side of your head (at least I didn’t).

RideBikes!

I bicycle, rain or shine, to work every day.  In the wet, I clip on a set of race fenders, and Bob’s your uncle!  I have experimented with the Sansa in this arduous high wind situation.  Note that I am a professional Sansa listener on a closed course, with safety crew following in the sag van.  Don’t try this at home, kids!

Well, open ear buds are terrible, as they effectively interfere with ambient sound.  One is too tempted to crank up the volume in order to hear, and that UFO following you too closely can’t be heard properly.

Right.  Refilled bottles, lubed the chain, and back on the road.  Donned iMetal 490s earbuds (made for sansa) and cranked away past the peloton, looked over the shoulder, and found that the earbuds block most of the wind noise while riding fast.  Could hear that the sag van had a click-click sound from a fresh nail in the tire.  Pulled over and helped them change tire.  (See?  A good cyclist has to do the opposite for his crew once in a while.)  With no input to the buds, they are an excellent wind noise buffer- it’s far easier to hear traffic with them inserted.

Testing again.  Note that the display issue is utterly futile on the handlebars.  Poking wee clips buttons and trying to read the display (2GB in daylight is visible), missed turn, flipped bike over, landed next to cow.  Van crew helped retrue front wheel, removed sod and mud from my cleats, now they have incriminating video ready for YouTube.

Now for the audio test.  Had to clean blades of grass from the Clip.  Off we go.  Found the Clip attaches readily to the helmet strap, like it best on my neck, with the cord stuffed in the jersey.  Brought up the volume slightly…ah, very nice at low volume, and I hear the ambient sounds well.  As a fellow cyclist rides up, he is laughing, pointing at my head.

“Ah, you see the new Sansa Clip!” I yell over to him, “We are doing official performance testing!”

I note with amazement, he’s still pointing at my head.  He’s wearing…a dangly white cord…an industrial spy!  He’s wearing an iPod shuffle.  He sees my surprise, and realizing that I’m testing, he tries to stuff his iPod into his jersey.  He unplugs, and stuffs the wires in his helmet liner.  Now he’s pointing to the rear.

Ah, a police car with flashing lights.

Thankfully, bacause of the ear buds, I heard his approach easily, without needing a mirror.  Perhaps, these are a new safety device too!

We both pull over and compare the cool audio devices.  The iPod rider is impressed with the Clip’s display.  So is the officer.  He works bicycle patrol occasionally too, and notes that the display is indeed legible in the sunlight.  I note the bicycle rack on his trunk. 

“You should get one of these toys!” I suggested to him.

“Here’s my number,” he said, handing us both a ticket.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Neutron Bob, are you Bill Bryson in disguise?

@ridebikes wrote:

Thanks,

RideBikes! 

Ridebikes:

I enjoyed Bob’s novel and entertaining editorial about his bike ride adventures with his Clip. A couple of my brief thoughts you might consider in your purchase decision:

1. I use an elastic and velcro arm band on my bicep as the location for my player. It works great with easy access to navigate the controls while in a riding position. There are many, I have this one (you only need the elastic band piece of the two piece kit):

www.dlo.com

1. Regarding the player form factor: The shuffle is the best form factor , lower profile, better and easier to navigate when active than the Clip (I own both). Granted player form factor is only one of several factors to be considered in choosing the best player for your particular needs. If you need playlists to select, for example, you can rule out the shuffle.

2. I agree with Bob’s comments about the benefit of the in-ear design headphones vs. the Clip supplied ear buds. Blocking out the wind noise is of tremendous benefit to your music enjoyment when riding or active outdoors (note the tradeoff of decreased awareness of external audio cues). I own the Sure brand E3C in-ear headphones, and they sound great but there are many available and all price points.

For examples, see:

http://www.headphone.com/

CalKidWilly

Message Edited by calkid on 03-13-2008 08:46 AM

Message Edited by calkid on 03-13-2008 08:47 AM

Seemingly good, basic armband, $3.95 shipped (U.S.).  Company has given me good and fast service.

http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10504292

@miikerman wrote:

Seemingly good, basic armband, $3.95 shipped (U.S.).  Company has given me good and fast service.

MM: My concern with this very attractively priced armband is that it appears not be constructed with an elastic material, and therefore would not flex as needed for comfort on your arm. If the material is a fixed nylon, and does not flex, it would bind when riding or active.  When your BIG GUN biceps are as puny as are mine, one needs to consider this feature for comfort!

@miikerman wrote:

Great price MM!  Here’s a pricier one from DLO, designed specifically to fit the Sansa Clip. It includes a protective screen cover:

http://www.dlo.com/Products/AJsan_clip_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=120542603616917840