time stamps

Hi I use the sansa fuze to record lectures.  as such even if I don’t rename them, I’d like to be able to dispaly them in order that they were recorded. For some reason, I cannot sort in windows under date created, because this tag is not made. So the file title would be ideal, but you have the year at the end, rather than the beginning, so the files don’t dispaly in order. would you consider changing this in future firmware so that 12/3/11 would display 111208 instead of 120311? thanks.

1.) I for one, would think this would be extremely confusing as one would have to remember to menatally reverse the numbers to extract the date from the file name in looking for a particular recording.

2.) Having made comment #1, it is a moot point anyway as the Fuze is now discontinued and no further firmware updates are liable to be released for this model.

@jhill150 wrote:

Hi I use the sansa fuze to record lectures.  as such even if I don’t rename them, I’d like to be able to dispaly them in order that they were recorded. For some reason, I cannot sort in windows under date created, because this tag is not made. So the file title would be ideal, but you have the year at the end, rather than the beginning, so the files don’t dispaly in order. would you consider changing this in future firmware so that 12/3/11 would display 111208 instead of 120311? thanks.

It’ll take some effort, but if you download MP3Tag, a great free tagging program, you can change the tags to what you want so your recording files will be listed in the order that you want them.  I haven’t changed the tags with the files still on the fuze itself, but I heard that it works well doing it that way.

I have mp3tag and use it all the time. are you saying there is a way to automate the process of changing the  name of the file?  If you are suggesting doing it manually, I can just change the filename in windows, which is what I have been doing.  If you know of a way to automate the process with mp3tag I’d be very interested in hearing about it. 

thank you.

In mp3tag look under Convert and Tag to Filename. The information from any of the tags (assuming they are there) can be turned into filenames. %track% inserts the track number, etc. , and you can put in any text you want. For instance, If you have a group of tracks from 3-23-2011 you could highlight them all and then, (in Convert Tag to Filename) put 3-23-11-Part %track% into the field and it would give you 3-23-11-Part 01.  It’s very flexible–you can have it insert %artist% etc.

It will also convert Filename to Tag if your info is already in the filename, as it often is in mp3s. Suppose you had an album ripped as  02-Arcade Fire-Ready To Start. You could use Convert Filename To Tag and use %track%-%Artist%-%title%.

Play with it. It’s a very flexible function, and maybe it will do what you want.