Time indication totally off

Hi all,

I have a 450Mb audiobook, which I am sure is about 10+ hours of spoken text. However just recently it “forgot” the position I last listened to. Ok no biggy I thought I would just skip to that place. To my surprise the time indicator thinks it is about 20 minutes long. Now that I listedned to the audiobook some more, I noticed the time indication bar is full from begin to end of screen and in the bar is the time indication of 25+ minutes. I am pretty sure the book has like 12 chapters and this is only chapter two!

Is there a known bug with VBR mp3 or joining mp3’s together that will screw up the time indication? I have joined mp3’s before without problems but maybe it takes the wrong time information from the first mp3?

With regards,

• Jorgen Bodde 

Sometimes the main vbr header gets calculated incorrectly by joiners.

The easiest way to fix it for me is to use foobar, right click > Utilities > Fix VBR MP3 Header.

There are also few standalone tools, like mp3diags, but I haven’t tried them.

I noticed that the Clip+ also messes up when playing this file again. It starts on the next audiobook but it forgets where I was there. This is the bug;

• I have the “corrupted” mp3 file

• The time indication is off, full bar only 25 mins

• I pause the player

• Turn it back on, it takes the next audiobook and starts from the beginning, not the remembered spot

But indeed it is something that is corrupt in the MP3. I am now recoding it with mplayer and lame (I’m on linux so I can’t use the windows tools and this allows me to rescale it to a smaller size).

Thanks for the answer!

• Jorgen 

jorgb wrote:

Hi all,

I have a 450Mb audiobook, which I am sure is about 10+ hours of spoken text. However just recently it “forgot” the position I last listened to. Ok no biggy I thought I would just skip to that place. To my surprise the time indicator thinks it is about 20 minutes long. Now that I listedned to the audiobook some more, I noticed the time indication bar is full from begin to end of screen and in the bar is the time indication of 25+ minutes. I am pretty sure the book has like 12 chapters and this is only chapter two!

Is there a known bug with VBR mp3 or joining mp3’s together that will screw up the time indication? I have joined mp3’s before without problems but maybe it takes the wrong time information from the first mp3?

Have you seen this thread?

It still sounds like a problem an mp3 frame joiner can cause. On Linux you could try mp3tool with the --repair key and see if it helps.