Time Display?

I set the time in settings, but unless I am missing something, I don’t see the point.  Is there a way to display the time?

I haven’t found one, it’s probably only used for DRM in the stock firmware. The alternative Rockbox firmware does have a clock in its status bar, and there are themes if you want/need it in a larger font.

Yep, unfortunately, the time doesn’t show in the original firmware.  I don’t get it–seemingly would be easy enough to implement and is often requested.  Also, this would open the Clip up more for exercise use (and related sales). 

I can see going to Rockbox for the clock feature alone.

Where is Rockbox available?

Of course I immediately searched, found it and downloaded Rockbox for Windows.  Again I will check the forum, but in case I do not find out, is it safe? 

@tmozer wrote:

Of course I immediately searched, found it and downloaded Rockbox for Windows.  Again I will check the forum, but in case I do not find out, is it safe? 

There’s always some risk whenever you’re modifying the way a device works (even when just installing a new manufacturer firmware), but installing Rockbox is generally safe.

And back to the original question (“What’s the point of having a time setting?”), the Clip uses the clock to timestamp FM and voice recordings, I believe.

I believe the date and time are used to time stamp recordings.

I have used Rockbox with my non-SanDisk player for over 5 years, now, and never had a Rockbox problem with the player. On the Clip+, it is rare to read of issues with the player caused by Rockbox, especially at this point in time (there were some very limited issues reported when the firmware port for the Clip+ still was in the earlier stages of development).

@tmozer wrote:

I’ve had it on two Clip+, and two Fuzes, since last June or July, even before they were officially classified as “stable releases”.  My remaining Fuze, and two Clip Pluses, haven’t been run without Rockbox in months, and they work like a charm.

Should I free up room on the internal memory before installing, or should I not worry 'bout it?

That’s always good to do, but not a big deal for Rockbox.  Just make sure that you have enough space for the Rockbox files.  Despite all that Rockbox does, it really does not take up all that much space. 

The rockbox folder on my Clip+ is only about 30 MB or so.

I downloaded and tried to use the “Rockbox Utility” program.  If I do an auto search for the device the program shuts down with an error.  If I manually select the Clip+ (Stable) I get a message that the “Mountpoint is not writeable”.

Is the player in MSC mode?

It could be.  I saw something about that in the install instructions, but I thought it refered to the computer/os.  I’ll try again after I change the player “mode”.

No MSC mode, no Rockbox.  Need to follow the Rockbox install instructions as written …

Yeah, I’m a dummy…  Anyway, I set it to the correct mode and got to the next step.  Now I am hung up on the copy of the original firmware from the Clip+.  I copied the files to a folder but Rockbox says it cannot read the file…

Hmmm…where is the folder with the firmware located?

I figured out what I was doing wrong and was able to install.  This might be easy to do, but before I try, I’ll ask.  Can you use the Rockbox utility program to change the skin?  Not sure I like the one I chose…

Yep.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxUtility