i have the exact same problem! my SMC froze while loading a new video onto my Fuze, and when i unplugged it (bad idea, I know), the scroll wheel didn’t work! i tried soft and hard resets, and reinstalled the firmware, but nothing worked.
to top it all off, i got this as a birthday present, so there’s no reciept for me to get an exchange! can anyone give any help at all concerning this?
So I got a response from tech support:
Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical support. It is our goal to make sure that you have all the resources that you need to make the most out of your product.
I have received your email and I understand that you are having difficulties in using device. Rest assured that I will do my very best in resolving this issue.
Please let us verify the operating system that you are using and your computer’s make and model.
This issue may be due to file or system corruption on the player itself. We should try formatting the player as a possible solution. At the same time updating the firmware will also be a good thing. Firmware controls the functions of your device (how your device operates); in cases where the product does not perform as intended, the update fixes the issue by replacing the current firmware with the latest enhanced version.
Caution: Formatting will erase all information on the Sansa mp3 player. Please be sure to have a back up of all the information before proceeding.
Please note: The Sansa Fuze mp3 series is supported ONLY on Windows XP and Windows Vista as the MTP mode will function, only on Windows XP and Windows Vista and it requires Windows Media Player version 10/11 in order to function properly.
Also, MTP mode will not give you the FAT or FAT32 option. As soon as you select FORMAT, it will begin the operation, and format it accurately.
To update your firmware follow the instructions below.
Click Here to Download Sansa Fuze Firmware
MSC mode instructions:
- Open “My Computer”
- Turn off the Sansa Fuze.
- Put the device in Hold (move Hold button until orange is showing)
- Press and hold the Left Button
- Plug the 30 pin connector into the device (be sure the USB is plugged into the computer)
- Wait for the Sansa Fuze drive(s) to show up
- Right click on “Sansa Fuze” select format. File system “FAT32”, uncheck quick format then “Start”
- Follow instructions below and drag files to the Sansa Fuze drive.
Let’s update your firmware.
- Once downloaded, connect the Sansa Fuze to the computer.
- Extract the .zip file.
- Add the firmware file you just extracted to the root directory of the Sansa Fuze.
- Once it’s been added, disconnect the device, it will then say that it is upgrading the firmware. It will eventually turn off. Once it turns off, turn it back on, and it should ask you for a language to select. At this point try to use the player again.
To know more on how to use your device please watch our How to Videos
Or you can visit our Sandisk Sansa Community Forums. for FAQ on your device.
Please inform me about the result by replying to this email.
Jaeson Philip G.
SanDisk Technical Support
Quite long-winded and sort of pointless. HOWEVER! After shutting off my Fuze and leaving it for a while, the scroll wheel suddenly worked! In a fit of sheer brilliance, I hooked it up via USB again, added some stuff, and unplugged it. Once again, the wheel didn’t work! Shutting it off and turning it back on after a bit solved this problem however. So, I’m inclined to believe that the problem lies in the computer connection, but for now, I’ll use my Zune…
Message Edited by takatorikku on 07-09-2008 09:15 PM