This is the sign of a defective battery, isn't it...

I just got my clip about 2 weeks ago and have lately started listening to it more heavily since I’ve put more of my music on it.

I charged it up all the way 2 days ago, and the battery meter is now at 70% after listening to 3 hours or so of music, MAYBE 3.5 hours over the past 2 days.  I also made a point of re-encoding all the music with the LAME MP3 codec to VBR at the V0 setting, as per the battery thread which shows that VBR gives the greatest battery life.  The volume was almost never over 50% and screen brightness is turned down to minimum.

I’m guesing this is not normal?  At least I hope not, considering the battery life is supposed to be at 15 hours or so with this encoding of music…

@warrior1986 wrote:

I just got my clip about 2 weeks ago and have lately started listening to it more heavily since I’ve put more of my music on it.

 

I charged it up all the way 2 days ago, and the battery meter is now at 70% after listening to 3 hours or so of music, MAYBE 3.5 hours over the past 2 days.  I also made a point of re-encoding all the music with the LAME MP3 codec to VBR at the V0 setting, as per the battery thread which shows that VBR gives the greatest battery life.  The volume was almost never over 50% and screen brightness is turned down to minimum.

 

I’m guesing this is not normal?  At least I hope not, considering the battery life is supposed to be at 15 hours or so with this encoding of music…

The 15 hour rating that SanDisk cites is with 128kbps MP3 files. Lame V0 files are a much higher bitrate than that…and therefore use a bit more battery. However, the sound is so much better that it’s easily worth it. Also, keep in mind that the battery meter isn’t exactly linear in it’s progression. Sometimes it goes quickly to a certain % and then stays there for a while afterwards. What’s your backlight timer set to? Either way, I wouldn’t worry.

Hmm, I was just going off of niko’s battery thread.  He got 15 hours from a silver 4GB clip and 17 hours from a black 8GB clip (like mine).  I will try to do some more tests on it and let it run down and see what I get.  But based on his results, I would expect to get no less than 14 hours of playback since all my files are at VBR V0.

Backlight timer is set to whatever the lowest setting is.

Are you using the EQ?

Nope, EQ is set to normal.

@warrior1986 wrote:
Nope, EQ is set to normal.

Well, the non-linearity of the battery meter is probably the issue here. Besides, these batteries respond better to frequent top-offs than being drained very low, so I really don’t think you have anything to worry about. I charge my Sansas up at around the 70% mark routinely. Are you skipping songs or letting it play through?

Hmm, didn’t know that I should be topping it off more than letting it run down.  Thanks for the tip.

I skip songs some times, but now I just keep it on shuffle mode most of the time.

@warrior1986 wrote:

Hmm, didn’t know that I should be topping it off more than letting it run down.  Thanks for the tip.

 

I skip songs some times, but now I just keep it on shuffle mode most of the time.

Only reason I asked that is skipping a song brings the screen to life , even if it is only that 5 or 10 seconds.

The battery issue has been fast discharging with the Clip not even being played.  I’d leave it overnight or for a day or so and see if the battery meter is down.

Ok, I will leave it at home tomorrow and won’t use it till I go to the gym, at which point it will have been off for about 25 hours.

@warrior1986 wrote:
Ok, I will leave it at home tomorrow and won’t use it till I go to the gym, at which point it will have been off for about 25 hours.

I am curious so I checked the two clips used in the battery tests.  The silver 4G R1 was updated to 1.01.32 and then disconnected back the day the firmware was released.   The black has been unplugged for about 4 or 5 days.   Powered them both up and they read 100%. 

I know this doesn’t change your observations.  This is for comparison.   I’m sure there is some leakage, but it might take weeks to notice (on these two clips). 

I have read previous reports of battery leakage, since I haven’t observed it first hand, I thought maybe it could be that the operator didn’t turn it off when they thought it was off. Etc.

The Clip power% changes in ~7% increments.  100,92,85,78,71,64,57,50…

I’m interested in what you find,

@warrior1986 wrote:

I just got my clip about 2 weeks ago and have lately started listening to it more heavily since I’ve put more of my music on it.

 

I charged it up all the way 2 days ago, and the battery meter is now at 70% after listening to 3 hours or so of music, MAYBE 3.5 hours over the past 2 days.  I also made a point of re-encoding all the music with the LAME MP3 codec to VBR at the V0 setting, as per the battery thread which shows that VBR gives the greatest battery life.  The volume was almost never over 50% and screen brightness is turned down to minimum.

 

I’m guesing this is not normal?  At least I hope not, considering the battery life is supposed to be at 15 hours or so with this encoding of music…

I am curious so I checked the two clips used in the battery tests.  The silver 4G R1 firmware was updated to 1.01.32 and then disconnected back the day the firmware was released.   The black 8GB R2 has been unplugged for 5 days.   Powered them both up and they read 100%. 

I know this doesn’t change your observations.  This is for comparison.   I’m sure there is some leakage, but it might take weeks to notice (on these two clips). 

I have read previous posts reporting battery leakage, since I haven’t observed it first hand, I thought maybe it could be operator error and left on longer and not turn off. Etc.

The Clip power% changes in ~7% increments.  100,92,85,78,71,64,57,50…

I’m interested in what you find,