THE solution for Fuze Video

The MAIN problem is two fold with Fuze video.

Sansa is paying royalties twice:

1. for the DIVX version 5.0 decoder firmware.

2. for the Intervideo conversion tool (SMC), which again, uses the DIVX encoder codec.

THE solution would be to switch to an open source standard such as Xvid.

The codecs and tools are free.

Dumping a proprietary codec is the way to go.

WMV only pays roaylties to another outfit, the Vole.

h.264/AVC is apple, so who needs that.

Problem solved.

No double conversions to load videos onto the device.

Price goes down.

Less conversion headaches.

Message Edited by bytehd2000 on 01-26-2009 09:02 PM

@bytehd2000 wrote:

The MAIN problem is two fold with Fuze video.

Sansa is paying royalties twice:

1. for the DIVX version 5.0 decoder firmware.
  1. for the Intervideo conversion tool (SMC), which again, uses the DIVX encoder codec.

THE solution would be to switch to an open source standard such as Xvid.

The codecs and tools are free.

Dumping a proprietary codec is the way to go.

WMV only pays roaylties to another outfit, the Vole.

h.264/AVC is apple, so who needs that.

Problem solved.

No double conversions to load videos onto the device.

Price goes down.

Less conversion headaches.

Message Edited by bytehd2000 on 01-26-2009 09:02 PM

Good Idea, sounds like it should work. Consider Sansa however, If they fail to at least somewhat regulate video addition to players how would playback issues be trouble shot? It would be impossible to tell whether the error was the users fault, the fault of the process, or the fault of the player. As someone who works extensivly with video in my company, I know from experiance that Xvid is less than 100% reliable, Divix despite its being a PITA to get and keep up to date is most reliable. What fuze users who are SOO upset with the video conversion process, need to do is wait for the next Firmware update. Hopefully it has THE SOLUTION. Until then Try one of the 5,000 other soltions that have been posted on here as THE BEST SOLUTION.

how many DIVX videos do you see on P i r a t e B a y ?

how many Xvid videos do you see on P i r a t e B a y ?

how many h.264/mpeg4 videos do you see on P i r a t e B a y ?

how many quicktime videos do you see on P i r a t e B a y ?

how many wmv videos do you see on P i r a t e B a y ?

how many realplayer videos do you see on P i r a t e B a y ?

Message Edited by bytehd2000 on 01-26-2009 09:22 PM

Why are you upset? I am just sayin that the next update should have the solution, and that sansa has to keep things at least somewhat proprietary. BTW Since when is Piratebay the definitive place for video? I have never even visited it and I have been doing this for nearly 10 years.

I have one issue with the video format.   It’s not that its DivX 5.0, its that its not the full implementation.  Because of this the files are bloated in size.

If you take a 640 x 480 video at 29 fps that is in divX and go through the conversion process, the converted file will be twice the size, and considering your down scaling it to a 1.9" screen at 20 fps. That bloated.  I’m sure Sansa will say the core reason for this is the limited processing power of the CPU.     I would be happy if they worked some magic,  streamlined the code. And supported more of the DivX feature set, so that the file sizes would be smaller.  Even if it took a little more battery power.

From a marketing standpoint,  Sansa products would be stronger (IMO) if they supported iTunes AAC music and MP4 video…   I don’t expect this to happen.  It would be nice to be able to use alternative services, and play content from those formats without jumping through hoops to get them converted.   I can understand why some people are frustrated at the process.

Video was one of the reasons I bought the Fuze, otherwise I was satisfied with the Clip :slight_smile:

i agree

seems like it also inserts sync frames but its like it uses VBR audio and loses sync later…

oh well, i like the mic, the audio, the FM and the podcast speed features

@bytehd2000 wrote:

how many DIVX videos do you see on P i r a t e B a y ?

How is a torrent site the authority on video?  Look up the details on Pirate Bay.

Well, unless police raids are the hallmark of success, i’d be writing that as  i l l e g a l  instead.

Bob  :cry: