The Fuze+

My guess is that Sandisk is using a tiny battery in the player. The battery in the Fuze is just 550 mah. Why are they using a micro usb connector? While micro usb is better than proprietary, mini usb is much more convenient.

I wonder if the design team of these players actually use them? If so, why design players with such skimpy battery life just to save a few mm of thickness?

Imo mid sized players the size of the Fuze should have at least 50 hours of battery life, While smaller players around the size of the Clip+ should have 25+ hours of battery life.

IMO, the current Fuze, popular or not, has the best user interface I’ve ever seen (including and especially considering the mechanical scroll wheel) for just playing music.  I mean, there are a few little things that bug me, but I own a Touch and I never use it for music—it’s just not a pleasant, tactile, quick experience like the Fuze is.

I’m wary of this all-touch stuff.  Particularly because Apple does have a lot of chops in the UI department, and I firmly expect others to get it wrong.

Will it have “gapless” playback? Will it support 24 bit flac?

"IMO, the current Fuze, popular or not, has the best user interface I’ve ever seen "

The Fuze+ takes away the thing I like about the Fuze, which is the scroll wheel. The Fuze does have its shortcomings, short battery life(rated at 24 hours vs up to 60 hours for competing products) , and a proprietary connector. The Fuze+ has a micro usb connector, but no improvement in battery life. Those interested in video will like the improved video on the Fuze+, however I see no point in watching video on such a small screen.

i hope Sandisk comes out with a new player with tactile buttons and a scroll wheel, perhaps midway in size between the Clip+ and Fuze+.

\o/ It has a regular micro-USB port! \o/

@njones wrote:

Two important questions which if the new fuze doesn’t have, I really won’t care about getting it. Rockbox is good enough for me.

Amazing finally to see aac support–now will this attract the Apple user market more?  A wise move, it seems to me, and that should have been adopted years ago.  Good show, SanDisk!

As a Clip user, I wonder if aac support will be coming to the Clips as well (and a 16GB internal capacity, at that).

@njones wrote:

Gapless, I can understand…but I highly doubt you can hear a difference between 24 bit flac and 16 bit flac if you convert the 24 to 16.

Ditto on that.  My recipe for success remains onsistent:

Excellent sound quality (Wolfson DACs or equivalentsplease) and…

1)  Gapless

2)  ReplayGain

1. 16Gb or greater capacity

Hold the price to $100US ($110CDN) and ya got a deal.

Failing that, I’m waiting for the new Android-based Samsung Galaxy S players since Cowon doesn’t seem to realize that ReplayGain actually has merit.

Gapless

@marvin_martian wrote:

@njones wrote:

Gapless, I can understand…but I highly doubt you can hear a difference between 24 bit flac and 16 bit flac if you convert the 24 to 16.

Where is it actually called a “Fuze+”, though (other than by the bloggers reporting on the leak)? The form factor doesn’t look very Fuze-ish to me.

I think this may be the “Sansa Tap” that SanDisk trademarked a couple years ago.

@gwk1967 wrote:

Where is it actually called a “Fuze+”, though (other than by the bloggers reporting on the leak)? The form factor doesn’t look very Fuze-ish to me.

I think this may be the “Sansa Tap” that SanDisk trademarked a couple years ago.

That is an excellent point! If those controls are anything like the ones on my old Samsung Q2 were, then tapping would be something you did fairly often in operating it.

Does it really matter if they call it the Fuze+ or the Tap? It won’t change what it is.

Let’s see if they will release a View+ that is truly a high capacity player, with perhaps 32 GB, or 64 GB built in, and a full sized SDXC card slot. Let’s see if Sandisk really surprises us sometime and comes out with a player that has 2 or 4 card slots. Photographers would love a player with 2 full sized card slots if it would allow copying images from one card to another. I guess a player with just one card slot could do this if it could copy images from a card to a large main memory then to another card. Being able to back up favorite images from a few different cards onto one card without using a pc would be nice.

They can only call it the Sansa Tap if the volume goes up to 11.

@jk98 wrote:

Does it really matter if they call it the Fuze+ or the Tap? It won’t change what it is.

Let’s see if they will release a View+ that is truly a high capacity player, with perhaps 32 GB, or 64 GB built in, and a full sized SDXC card slot. Let’s see if Sandisk really surprises us sometime and comes out with a player that has 2 or 4 card slots. Photographers would love a player with 2 full sized card slots if it would allow copying images from one card to another. I guess a player with just one card slot could do this if it could copy images from a card to a large main memory then to another card. Being able to back up favorite images from a few different cards onto one card without using a pc would be nice.

No, of course it doesn’t really matter. It just seems… unimaginative, I guess.

“No, of course it doesn’t really matter. It just seems… unimaginative, I guess”

I want the player to be imaginative. I don’t care that much about the name, athough it might be weird having an mp3 player named Susan. :slight_smile:

I guess I shouldn’t be that negative about this until I read some user reviews of this and how well the touch interface works, although most touch interfaces aren’t that conducive for use when one is  active, such  as while walking or running. I guess those who are into video might like this especially if the price is low and it plays video well. I would like a player with a decent sized low powr monochrome screen that is on all the time while the player is on(perhaps e-ink?), as I have no desire for videos or photos on my player.

Imo Sandisk should have left the Fuze successor  with tactile buttons, and also have a View+ with a 3.3" or larger touchscreen and a full sized SDXC card slot. Let’s see if there will be a View+.

With a micro USB connection, the same cable used for the SlotRadio device can be shared.  Personally, I like the mini USB type as in the Clip+.  Power consumption with the new display, running video, is my main concern.  Battery capacity is more critical when running video in the device; this is where a larger battery would really shine.

I’m spoiled, running with the iM413 Altec-Lansing dock.  Video is fun on the wee Fuze when docked, as the screen is horizontal.  With USB connection only, one must run a pigtail to the auxiliary connection, and the Sansa isn’t running on “shore power”.

The jury is still out on the bigger SDXC format, though.  Those who have a collection on the microSD cards will appreciate compatibilty with the new player, I would think.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

A full sized SDXC card slot will also take SDHC cards, which also includes micro SDHC cards in  adapters.

I guess Sandisk is too obsessed with shaving a few mm off the thickness than to give long battery life(50+ hours)

or a full sized SDXC card slot.

Micro SDHC cards are good for wowing the technologically illeterate(they are amazed when I tell then a fingernail sized card can hold 8,000 songs or 8 million typed pages. They are so easy to drop or misplace though due to their small size. The tiny size of the Clip+ isn’t always a benefit, as many people have washed clothing with a Clip or Clip+ in the pocket. Smaller isn’t always better, especially when things get too small.

JK98 wrote:

The tiny size of the Clip+ isn’t always a benefit, as many people have washed clothing with a Clip or Clip+ in the pocket.

Ah, but it comes out so nice and clean, and typically starts right up (after drying out).

:wink:

Oh, and as to the “Tap” name:  SanDisk earlier abandoned its trademark application for the U.S. federal registration of that trademark, for whatever that’s worth

“Capacitive touch control”?

I take it that means the end of being able to pause/play, adjust the volume, or change track by touch while it’s in my pocket?

Tactile controls that I can use by touch were one of the main reasons why I bought a Fuze rather than a touch screen player.

Touch sensitive controls may look good, but the usability is terrible compared with normal buttons. I think I’ll be looking for another player that doesn’t put form over function when my current Fuze dies.

A touch screen, using the same surface as you are viewing, is quite popular in the mobile telephone market.  Just watch someone navigate about using an iPod Touch, or if they have a transciever in that little box, an iPhone.

It’s quite interesting, as you can’t do anything without eyeballing that wee screen first.  Tactile buttons are superior in my book.  Definitely safer if you are moving about.

The same goes for a “track pad” type control, they involve a lot of fiddling about.

Bob  :wink: