sync to external drive?

I’ve got way too many photos and music files on my computer - so I thought I’d move all my music files onto a 8gb flash drive.  I know it’s not the fasted type of drive but I don’t often listen to music on my pc and don’t continually buy new music either.  I assigned a permanent letter to this drive through windows.  But now I’m not sure how to…

1.  have WMP recognize this as the only place to find my music (when I went into WMP library and tried to add the folder, it wouldn’t let me).  Assuming I can get this figured out, then…

2.  what do I need to do to have the Sansa Clip sync to this external drive when I plug it in?

3.  and this is an aside…how do you set it so that the sansa does not automatically sync?  I usually just want to charge it – without syncing.

Is there an easy way to set this all up? :slight_smile:

I’d appreciate any help!

@mwpeacock wrote:

I’ve got way too many photos and music files on my computer - so I thought I’d move all my music files onto a 8gb flash drive.  I know it’s not the fasted type of drive but I don’t often listen to music on my pc and don’t continually buy new music either.  I assigned a permanent letter to this drive through windows.  But now I’m not sure how to…

1.  have WMP recognize this as the only place to find my music (when I went into WMP library and tried to add the folder, it wouldn’t let me).  Assuming I can get this figured out, then…

2.  what do I need to do to have the Sansa Clip sync to this external drive when I plug it in?

3.  and this is an aside…how do you set it so that the sansa does not automatically sync?  I usually just want to charge it – without syncing.

Is there an easy way to set this all up? :slight_smile:

I’d appreciate any help!

What I would do is put the music back on the computer, where it’s easily found, and burn the photos onto DVD’s, freeing up space. There is a setting somewhere in WiMP that shuts off the automatic sync…look for it while your Sansa is not connected.

This is all controlled by Windows Media Player–have you checked the settings there (and/or its Help files)?  For example, under Windows Vista, you can turn Sync off (I believe), under the WMP Sync selection, More options, and then the Properties screen for the device (you also can get there by choosing the device under the Sync selection, and choosing Advanced options; note that there’s a Sync set-up option there as well, that may be helpful to you).  And there’s a Help with Sync screen at the Sync selection as well, which also has info. on setting up what to sync.