Suggestions for Future Fuze Firmware Update

we are lazy humans, the fuze arm cpu is capable :slight_smile: and thanks ,  i knew of these other options, possibly others did not.   if the cpu takes up that much power then obviously its not worth it.   but i am willing to bet the cpu is capable without affecting battery life.

Has anyone ever used any on-the-fly volume normalization (or leveling if you want to call it that) that actually works? The only normalization I’ve used is with the iPod, and it (a) requires iTunes, (b) uses a bit extra battery, and (c) basically doesn’t do much of anything. I’d hate to see Sansa put a lot of resources into anything like this unless they knew ahead of time that it’d actually work where everyone else’s doesn’t.

Personally, I’d like to see comprehensive track info, like bitrate and path/filename.

I wouldn’t mind a list of all songs by artist, but not removing albums. The “list all songs” (right under play all songs, but just list them) idea sounds best to me.

For a more major mod, I still think AAC codec support is important. We saw people giving up and returning Fuzes at Christmas time because their iTunes music wouldn’t work…plus, Apple has announced that by April all music will be DRM-free. That means all the music from the #1 music retailer will be compatible with the iPod, Sony, Creative Zen, and Zune, but not any Sansa.

Message Edited by bdb on 01-26-2009 02:01 PM

@bdb wrote:

Has anyone ever used any on-the-fly volume normalization (or leveling if you want to call it that) that actually works? The only normalization I’ve used is with the iPod, and it (a) requires iTunes, (b) uses a bit extra battery, and (c) basically doesn’t do much of anything. I’d hate to see Sansa put a lot of resources into anything like this unless they knew ahead of time that it’d actually work where everyone else’s doesn’t.

Personally, I’d like to see comprehensive track info, like bitrate and path/filename.

I wouldn’t mind a list of all songs by artist, but not removing albums. The “list all songs” (same as play all songs, but just list them) option sounds the best to me.

I have used both Normalization and Replay Gain,  they both actually work.    But they are different.       Normalization effects the music data whereas Replay gain is a value saved in the tag and the music data is not altered.    Of the two Replay gain is the most efficient.  I’ve used iTunes replay gain feature that is called “Sound Check” , it only changes the value in the meta data aka tag prior to loading the song into the iPod  and doesn’t use any extra battery power.

Calculating replay gain is not an intensive task.   Your Fuze is doing the work of reading the file while playing anyways,  saving the replay gain after it plays or scans it once is a one time deal.   it won’t burn any extra battery power.  if its an option,   you could always turn it off, if you wanted, just to be sure.

@bdb wrote:

For a more major mod, I still think AAC codec support is important. We saw people giving up and returning Fuzes at Christmas time because their iTunes music wouldn’t work…plus, Apple has announced that by April all music will be DRM-free. That means all the music from the #1 music retailer will be compatible with the iPod, Sony, Creative Zen, and Zune, but not any Sansa.

Message Edited by bdb on 01-26-2009 02:01 PM

The track info definitely appeals to me. If on the screen I could see the bitrate , and the format of the currently playing track(MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, etc.) that would rule.As far as supporting the AAC, I’m starting to think it would be a good idea. I resisted before because of the restrictions placed on the music , but if it will be truly shackle-free, then I guess I could accept that. 

-Gapless Playback;

-Better Vorbis Comment Support (“Discnumber” tag, Embedded Art);

-“Go List” Functionality: Ability to add Items to list while it is playing so that they will be played without having to restart list playback;

-Fix “Sleep Timer” Bug (If you change back to __, it will shut down after previously specified time unless you restart Fuze);

-“Date” tag and Technical info somewhere (codec, bitrate, file size). Maybe a 5th cycle panel (after “next song” view);

-Display Art in fullscreen (like in Pictures);

-Ability to make hot chocolate (if it doesn’t use too much battery);:smiley:

1.) Customizable Background maybe :smiley: that way it would be more like Your Fuze and a little differen’t from everyone else’s :smiley: Kinda like teh zune where you save a picture and set it as a background :D? (If not then I’d settle for a nice black or a dark grey.)

2.) Better Volume leveling thing…I duno how to explain it, but when I listen to music at night sometimes the lowest volume sounds kinda loud. (Or maybe it just depends on the earphones you use o.o. I guess the vibes sound a bit louder then the orginal earphones.)

3.) I don’t think this will happen…but maybe something that tells you the title and artist name when you listen to a song on the radio O_o

4.) Differen’t Font and New logo :X that logo kinda looks like it was made kinda quick :X I like it though! maybe make it look a little better :D?

Message Edited by Greed on 01-26-2009 03:27 PM

Message Edited by Greed on 01-26-2009 03:33 PM

@greed wrote:

3.) I don’t think this will happen…but maybe something that tells you the title and artist name when you listen to a song on the radio O_o

That’s called “RDS” (or “RDBS”, depending on where you live), and it would require new hardware.

D: it’s ok then I can live without it. lol it was worth asking :stuck_out_tongue:

i think on the new firmware update they should let you set photos as your background and add game downloads for it and how about themes too.

yeah i would like more wallpaper options too!!

I’m starting a a petition for:

1.  Make the screen “touch”.

2.  Sync with iTunes.

3.  Sync with Zune Marketplace.

4.  Sync with Rio Music Manager.

5.  Play DS games WHILE listening to music.

6.  “Live” wallpaper, IOW, a video file for the background.

7.  Digital TV Tuning and recording.

8.  Sort by the artist’s mother’s beautician’s astrological sign.

9.  Sort by the square root of the CRC of the files.

10.  Browse by the day of the week the song was first released in Peru.

11.  Auto-playlists telepathically created daily based on my mood. 

12.  Do my taxes, AND find get me the biggest refund.

And I want ALL of this on the next firmware release.

Edit:  Upon further reflection, for number 8 I will accept the manicurist, but NOT the shampoo girl.

Message Edited by jkj1962 on 01-26-2009 08:23 PM

All that,  ^^^   and no dancing girls? :wink:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 01-26-2009 09:21 PM

more wallpaper colors would be great

maybe like tie dye colors 

@marvin_martian wrote:
All that, and no dancing girls? :wink:

I’m saving that, internet browsing and true-quadraphonic sound for the next release.

Gapless playback!!!

I’m a MiniDisc guy and used to listening to concerts on my portable player and unfortunately I was not aware of the “gapless playback” issue before my purchase of a 4GB Fuze. Well other than this, I’m loving my Fuze as much as my MiniDisc players, what a great product from SanDisk.

I could care less about enhancements in UI customisations or browsing by folders but please, give us GAPLESS PLAYBACK! It’s really annoying to have pauses in between tracks for my concert tracks.

Thanks in advance and Happy Chinese New Year to you all! :wink:

indeed - gapless playback and the ability to view TAG data on a seperate screen.

after that this is the PERFECT DMP for the $60-$100 price range.

With as many people who have trouble with formatting the external microSDHC card,   Put in the option to do this through the Fuze’s format menu.   It would reduce one of the common support questions.

I have a simple request, skip some numbers on the v2 firmware so that both v1 and v2 firmware line up. Instead of saying “Check if it is 1.01.22 or 2.01.17, depending which version of the Fuze you currently have” we could just say “check the last 2 digits, if it is not 34 then you need to update your firmware”

@hazza wrote:
I have a simple request, skip some numbers on the v2 firmware so that both v1 and v2 firmware line up. Instead of saying “Check if it is 1.01.22 or 2.01.17, depending which version of the Fuze you currently have” we could just say “check the last 2 digits, if it is not 34 then you need to update your firmware”

I second that request.  KISS principle - keep it simple sansa:) 

Don’t know where this would go… I figured here… Not sure.

I agree with most of all the suggestions but here is one that I have not seen and which I doubt it can be possible but it’s worth it:

The ability to see text documents.(And no, I obviously do not mean text messages from cell phones.)  Now, although I doubt it can be possible, I can possibly see how it would work… - Add the text file to your Player then use the scrolling wheel to go to “Text” (Or something along the lines of that) click on it and pick the document that you want to look at and use the scrolling wheel to go down or up on the document. 

Another suggestion :

Seeing as we have a clock + date on the Fuze, why not add an alarm clock to that?  However, I do not believe it would work seeing as the Fuze don’t have built-in speakers therefore you can’t hear the alarm go off.  Unless, of course, you’re using a portable speaker or something.

I don’t know, it was just a couple of ideas that I thought of. 

Message Edited by MarcosL on 01-29-2009 05:36 PM