Suggestion for equalizer

We have purchased 3 Fuses in the past 6 months. We use Rhapsody and what we would like to be able to set specific settings for specific songs after we download to the library. This setting will follow the song when streaming from the computer or when listening to it on our Sansas. Our playlists have such a varied type of songs we spend too much time fiddling withe equalizer with each song. But Rhapsody has more equalizer type settings that the Sansa so you would have to have more settings on the Fuze that jived with the Rhapsody options. I just realized we have actually purchased 4 Fuses.

Best thing I can tell you is to just find a setting you like on the fuze and stick with it. There is currently no way to program and save a custom eq for different songs on the fuze, and there is no way to have multiple custom eq even when you are not being song specific. Also dont forget that Custom EQ actually requires more battery power, meaning your battery wont give you as much playback time as it would on Normal EQ setting for example.

Thanks for your response. I was trying to make a suggestion as to what would be a great feature. It doesn’t seem like it would be that big of a fix to be able to save the song in a certain equalizer format with the Rhapsody and Sansa software. The software already has the equalizer functions but now all we need it to do it save the setting for just that song after you send it to your library. It reminds me of one of Jerry Seinfeld’s routines about the car rental companies being able to take the reservations but they can’t seem to hold onto them by them time you get to checking in there are no more cars. I want the Sansa to not only take my equalizer settings but I want them to hold on to them so I don’t have to start the process over for each song. Everything about it is digital I don’t see why this function couldn’t be added easily. I think DJ software provides this function so they wouldn’t have to reinvent the wheel entirely on this one.

I am not an audio expert and the older I get the more I can’t hear  certain sounds as well (too much loud music when I was  younger) and the more I want to adjust the sound. Actually the older you get the less you can hear the higher sounds as well from what I have heard. I like to listen to the Sansa while I am doing things. I hate having to stop what I am doing to fiddle with the settings.

I would like the option. I don’t use my Sansa a ton everyday but when I do I would use this function and would gladly give up some battery time to be able to hear the songs better. I would rather plug the Sansa in each day then fiddle with the settings for each song.

Sansa must have felt folks would find the equalizer a useful feature if they added it knowing that it would take more power. Should they add more battery life if it impacts it too much? The whole point to getting a Sansa was for the convenience and the quality of the music. I think what I am recommending just elborates on those same themes.

This would be great when hooking the Sansa to a receiver as well.

Message Edited by cndnc on 02-25-2009 02:32 PM

AHHH! I must have misunderstood your origional post. Yes this would be a cool thing to have but my concern would be battey life. If the fuze has to read the song (Which with soe formats already causes a power drain) and then load an EQ it might really decrease battery time.

Well are we talking minutes or hours? Right now I have never really pushed my Sansa to see how long it will play with using the equalizer settings. It is a 4GB. I only have maybe a couple hundred songs on there at any given time right now. So if I used my Sansa for two hours a day how much battery life would I have after two hours of continuous use, each song using different equalizer settings? Has anyone figured out what percentage of battery life will be used with and without equalizer settings for a 4 GB sansa?

@cndnc wrote:
Well are we talking minutes or hours? Right now I have never really pushed my Sansa to see how long it will play with using the equalizer settings. It is a 4GB. I only have maybe a couple hundred songs on there at any given time right now. So if I used my Sansa for two hours a day how much battery life would I have after two hours of continuous use, each song using different equalizer settings? Has anyone figured out what percentage of battery life will be used with and without equalizer settings for a 4 GB sansa?

I assume you use mp3 format becauseyou use rhapsody, this means you will get more than me. I use MediaMonkey to manage my music which is in OGG format. On my 2 gig fuze and 2 gig card I have about 750 songs on there with about 200 mb left over for emergency songs I have to have. I dont test mine either so I have no Idea exactly what we are talkin in terms of battery loss. 

Maybe someone at Sansa will read this and let us know if this is a reality just about to happen or explain to us why it can’t. They must have some sort of stats as to battery life in regards to this topic. I know they Cross sell with Rhapsody so there is collaboration between these two entities. Perhaps they could sync together on this upgrade.

The reality of the thing is that, most dont use rhapsody. I hate it. There is something about “Renting” music that I really despise. The only way to do it would be to program it in the fuze.

Personally I love it. It is cheap way to have unlimited songs. My husband likes certain music, my daughter likes different stuff and I like all sorts of music. If we had to buy it would be a small fortune. I also find the channels very helpful in finding new artists that I would have never found on my own. I never get bored. My husband is a teacher and he downloads read alouds for children’s books. We had old LPs that were scratched from use that really sound terrible compared to the digital music. We also have tons of cds but we won’t be using them at all since we are sick of them by now. I am very practical person you have to be if your husband is a teacher. But we do think this type of leasing music is worth it for our needs. I was so sick of having to buy a whole records or cds for only two songs l liked. If you are open to lots of types of music and want to listen to the latest tracks and have at least 3 family members to provide music for this really is a bargain.

I work in the music industry so I listen to thousands of new songs every week. My collection at this point is approacing 102,000 tracks. Most of which were digital purchaces from Amazon or an Artists website or CD rips. I cant Justify leasing, if I want it now I might want it later and I want to have it, I dont want to have to pay somebody to loan me music when I can pay an artist directly. Your husband using it for readalongs is one of those features that is really cool that you dont often hear about. I shre my collection with my GF and we have very similar tastes she used to subscribe to napster but it was not worth it.

102,000 tracks is beyond anything I can imagine owning or wanting to listen to. If you had to pay 99 cents per track that would a ton of money over how long a period? Let say you have done that for 10 yrs. If I do Rhapsody for 10 years it would be $1,798.80 vs over $10,000.00 a year. Maybe you could write it off on your taxes since it is work related I don’t know but I would be looking for ways to dull the pain of spending that much money on music. I can download up to three computers and three devices. It is good you can share this with a GF with simular tastes but maybe you will change your tastes too. I used to listen to the Monkey’s when I was a kid but I couldn’t stand to listen to them now. Tastes mature to some degree. Plus there are some songs that have been played to death on the radio that I have lost all interest in. I am wondering if they have adult  level books to listen too. My oldest daughter when she went to under grad school had a radio show at school and she would get free music to listen to from artists and I can see how that would be easy to collect. She is starting up a new show for grad school and I told her to use Rhapsody to find new artists and ideas such as the many new names that are being created for genre names compared to when you went in to buy cds in music stores. Have you spent any time on Rhapsody? You know you can get like a 15 day trial.Try out the channels of music of similar artists of the artists you like. Go to any artist page you like on the site then you will see a channel > to click to listen to similiar artists. I also like the mixer that tracks all the songs I listen to so I can go back to find info about a song I had heard. that I want to add to my library.  I want it now too. I can have it later too. I just pay very little over a longer period of time. The artist does get a cut from Rhapsody. I am listening to their music more on Rhasody than I would have otherwise. But I also don’t feel too weighed down by managing so much. Rhapsody does it for me. But remember it is for three people in my family and I don’t have to rip cds, I don’t have to go to amazon or track down artist’s websites. One stop shopping. I have enough to organize in my life and they make this part very easy. But if I was the music business and had to listen to songs all day then I may have an entirely different take on this because you probably need to own them. But I am Josephine average and they are really marketing to us and I like it so far. 

@cndnc wrote:

102,000 tracks is beyond anything I can imagine owning or wanting to listen to. If you had to pay 99 cents per track that would a ton of money over how long a period? Let say you have done that for 10 yrs. If I do Rhapsody for 10 years it would be $1,798.80 vs over $10,000.00 a year. Maybe you could write it off on your taxes since it is work related I don’t know but I would be looking for ways to dull the pain of spending that much money on music. I can download up to three computers and three devices. It is good you can share this with a GF with simular tastes but maybe you will change your tastes too. I used to listen to the Monkey’s when I was a kid but I couldn’t stand to listen to them now. Tastes mature to some degree. Plus there are some songs that have been played to death on the radio that I have lost all interest in. I am wondering if they have adult  level books to listen too. My oldest daughter when she went to under grad school had a radio show at school and she would get free music to listen to from artists and I can see how that would be easy to collect. She is starting up a new show for grad school and I told her to use Rhapsody to find new artists and ideas such as the many new names that are being created for genre names compared to when you went in to buy cds in music stores. Have you spent any time on Rhapsody? You know you can get like a 15 day trial.Try out the channels of music of similar artists of the artists you like. Go to any artist page you like on the site then you will see a channel > to click to listen to similiar artists. I also like the mixer that tracks all the songs I listen to so I can go back to find info about a song I had heard. that I want to add to my library.  I want it now too. I can have it later too. I just pay very little over a longer period of time. The artist does get a cut from Rhapsody. I am listening to their music more on Rhasody than I would have otherwise. But I also don’t feel too weighed down by managing so much. Rhapsody does it for me. But remember it is for three people in my family and I don’t have to rip cds, I don’t have to go to amazon or track down artist’s websites. One stop shopping. I have enough to organize in my life and they make this part very easy. But if I was the music business and had to listen to songs all day then I may have an entirely different take on this because you probably need to own them. But I am Josephine average and they are really marketing to us and I like it so far. 

Dont get me wrong I am not saying anything about Rhapsody other than it is not for me. I get a lot of my stuff the same way your daughter does, from labels and stuff sending me demos, and there are many sites that offer free music from the creative commons license. The other thing for me about rhapsody is that I use OGG format and rhapsody doesnt hove me that option. I think rhapsody is a good service for someone who is not like me, (I have a small maze of cds in my office). Also tell your daughter about this post that I put on the Off-Topic Board. I have been in radio for 2 years, and the music industry for 8 so I have tons of these links. Link

I will pass it along to her I think they start streaming this Saturday for the first time but the school is just starting it up after a long hiatus from the sounds of it. Why do you prefer OGG format? Since I have been  listening to Rhapsody I have found so many young artists I like and when I tell her about my new finds/tracks she is so shocked that we like the some of the same tracks. She will do it live and I plan to make requests! I think she is going to call it Live from the Electrical Room, my idea since they only provide them this little space down in the bowels of the basement in the electical room. They don’t have any equipment hardly at all. The other University where she was on air had so much more and they even had a tower! I told her to start up a Facebook for it too.

I prefer ogg gor two reasons. 1. I have an ear that has been trained for its entire life and has been my source of income for 8 years (I am only 21). And with OGG format I can actually hear a difference in sound quality with crisper highs and lower lows.

1. I have (On purpose) limited my Fuze (with SD card) to 4 gig, and I want as much music on it as I can. OGG is slightly smaller in file size it enabled me to add about 110 songs extra from when I used mp3.

You are certainly a much more serious audio person than I and for good reason. I am thinking that Rhapsody could either allow a equalizer setting be written to a track once it is transfered into a person’s library online or create hidden subfolders that the songs would reside once you indicated how you wanted the equalizer setting to be for the track. That will tell the player how it is to be played. Just as the player reads of the song is an OGG or something else. When the song is downloaded to the Sansa it would also be able to read the rewritten track or have subfolders like Rhapsody to file the track under. Just as I had wished so many years ago that I could just buy the songs l liked instead of the whole album it is now a reality. I also think assigning it player settings is a natural progression in the future. Tweek the song once and you never have to play around with the settings again. I bet you could use it more than I with all the songs you collect!

The only way it would work right now, would be to embed the EQ data in the ID3tag that is embedded in the track. I dont know if it could be done.

Well I have no idea if that would work but good contribution. Is anyone at Sansa listening?

@cndnc wrote:
Well I have no idea if that would work but good contribution. Is anyone at Sansa listening?

There is only one developer who is a member of the boards and he comes on in his own time but I can assure you that the developers do pay attention to these threads. It is evidenced in the updates to past firmwares.

Do you know who he or she is and shall we send him or her a link?

My daughter sent me a list of the songs she wants to play in two weeks and I created an excel spread sheet of the artists, songs, genre, minutes of the song so she could easily total the minutes to see how much time she has to fill. I used Rhapsody to find the info I needed. I did realize that three of the songs are not available and they only post a 30 second promo since you can only buy the song. Erykah Badu’s Bag Lady, Mary J. Blige’s No One Will, Queen Latifah’s U.N.I.T.Y. Some artist’s  songs were not on Rhapsody but only about three:  Liv Warfield"s Groove DJ, Lucy Pearl’s Dance Tonight and Fantasia.'s When I See You out of a total of 36 songs. That is a pretty good ratio. I was worred that a lot of songs would not be available on Rhapsody but this was a good test to see. Would you like to see the excel spreadsheet? I am doing this since she works full time at a responsible demanding job and working on her masters and starting up the dj thing again.

I will see if he notices in the next few days, if not Ill send something, they are pretty loaded down right now, and I can nearly garuntee that IF and thats a big IF its possible it wont be in the next Firmware even if he were to notice today, there is too much that too many people are requesting for something like this to make the next one. I dont think is even possible tho, I started playing around last night with a few tools I have (They arent cheap so its not like this is a fix) to see if I could embedd EQ settings in a newly created mp3 file but I was unsuccessful, I do however think I have a work around that I will test tonight. I have all of the songs you couldnt find, are you trying to get them for her or are you looking for info on them? I cant give you the tracks cause thats illegal but I could certainly share the info with you (This is best done thru Private Message). If her “Station” has a programming director then that person should give her What are called logs with info like song durration and time at which it should play.