Strange issue with Clip Zip

Hello Sandisk users!

First off, let me just say that the SanDisk line of mp3 players is the best investment I ever made! They are reliable and cheap! I previously had a 256MB player from who knows where, and when it died I went out and got one of these and am in love with them! But back to my point. I have a Sansa Zip that I got about two years ago, and had the original firmware until I updated it about 3 weeks ago. All was well until I had a strange glitch with it. The firmware somehow erased “The” and “A” from the beginning of song titles and artists ( ex. The Fray becomes Fray, A Little Jazz becomes Little Jazz). I didn’t think something like that could happen! Some artwork disappeared too. ( I’m crazy about having artwork). I did copy some of them to my computer and they appeared to be fine there, so I’m thinking if I Just re-apply the firmware it’ll fix it.

@popmusic93 wrote:

Hello Sandisk users!

The firmware somehow erased “The” and “A” from the beginning of song titles and artists ( ex. The Fray becomes Fray, A Little Jazz becomes Little Jazz).

This is a ‘feature’ of the Zip model. They all do it.

Thanks for the reply! I thought it was a glitch because it didn’t happen at all in the 2 years until the firmware was updated. So it must be a “feature” of the new firmware. And it didn’t happen on my Clip+

if i were you i would re-format your sansa and not update the firmware and it is good as old

I will try that next after I copy my internal folders to my PC.

@cogre wrote:

if i were you i would re-format your sansa and not update the firmware and it is good as old

I doubt there’s a way to go back.

@popmusic93 wrote:

I thought it was a glitch because it didn’t happen at all in the 2 years until the firmware was updated. So it must be a “feature” of the new firmware. And it didn’t happen on my Clip+

I don’t remember exactly, but I thought the Zips did this out of the box; no firmware update required. I do remember suggesting that this ‘feature’ be changed to a user-definable option in a future firmware update, but nothing ever became of it. And this was before any f/w updates had been released yet.

But you’re right, the Clip+ did not do this.

Here something else to note, it didn’t happen until about a week after I updated, it wasn’t right away, but why must they “fix” something that ain’t “broke”? I have noticed a longer start-up time too.

Agreed–if not broken, don’t piddle with it!