Speed up the write time to your Clip

Yo;

To speed up the write time to your Clip, you can set it to be optimized for performance instead of quick removal.  The only trade-off, as far as I know, is that you need to manually eject it ( right-click on USB icon in task bar and select “safely remove hardware” ) every time you disconnect it from your USB port.

I’ve only tested this in MSC mode; I’m not sure whether it would work in MTP mode.  I tested it by copying a 160MB file from my hard disk to my Clip.  Optimizing for performance reduced the copy time from about 50 seconds to about 30 seconds.

Standard disclaimer, do the following at your own risk:

1. Set the Clip’s USB Mode to MSC, connect it to your computer.  It should show up in My Computer as a Removable Disk.

2. Right-click on the Clip in My Computer and select Properties.

3. Click on the Hardware tab, find the Clip in the disk drive list ( should say something like “SanDisk Sansa Clip 2GB USB Device” ), and click on the Properties button.

4. Click on the Policies tab, and click on “Optimize for performance”.

5. Click on the OK buttons on all previous dialog boxes.

The Clip should temporarily disappear and reappear on My Computer, and then Bob’s your uncle.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 01-03-2008 04:05 PM

if it aint writing, you dont need to eject… if youre skeered, eject …if ya aint, try it.  its just a dumb box…dont worry

Message Edited by amkoas on 01-03-2008 12:56 PM

amkoas wrote:

if it aint writing, you dont need to eject… if youre skeered, eject …if ya aint, try it.  its just a dumb box…dont worry

Optimizing for performance is most useful when you’re writing a large amount of data to the device.  If you’ve spent the time writing to the device, there’s no reason to risk corrupting that data by not ejecting it first.  If you’ve set the Clip (or any other disk device) to be optimized for performance, you run that risk if you remove it without ejecting it first.

no, ya dont…it aint a risk

there is a small risk, but most of us think its so minute that we dont even bother

I personally havent safely ejected something in years, and cant say that any issues has arose because of it.

Enigma wrote:
there is a small risk, but most of us think its so minute that we dont even bother

I personally havent safely ejected something in years, and cant say that any issues has arose because of it.

Do you typically have your devices configured for performance, instead of safe removal?

I think that devices are typically configured for safe removal, by default.  That seems to be the case with the Sansa Clip, anyway.

this may be true, i honostly have never messed with those settings on any pc i have ever visited.

I apply just unplugging the device to all devices, flash drives, mp3 players. As long as im not accessing the drive or reading / writing to it, then i just pull it out.

reading never bothers a disconnect…

Enigma wrote:
this may be true, i honostly have never messed with those settings on any pc i have ever visited.

That was my point.  If your device isn’t configured to be optimized for performance, as I was discussing in my original post, you don’t have to worry about unplugging it without ejecting it first.

out of sheer curiosity, have you tried (with a drive you dont care about) just pulling out the device to see if the results are the same or if it really affects the drive?

i exactly do… for one… i got ipod running linux, rockbox and Mojopac… mojo requires it be set to performance…that app is pretty cool… google it…
i never safely remove

peace of mind is a reward on its own. So more power to those who safely eject.

after eating wait 2hrs before swimming

Enigma wrote:
out of sheer curiosity, have you tried (with a drive you dont care about) just pulling out the device to see if the results are the same or if it really affects the drive?

I don’t know enough about how Windows manages write caching to drives to know whether that would be a meaningful test.  I might have to write data to and unplug a device a hundred times before seeing some data corruption.  One instance of data corruption would be enough for me.  Doing a safe remove of the device really isn’t a big deal, especially if I can increase my write speed by a significant amount.

amkoas wrote:
i exactly do… for one… i got ipod running linux, rockbox and Mojopac… mojo requires it be set to performance…that app is pretty cool… google it…
i never safely remove

Funny you should say that, I just installed MojoPac today … that’s how I got clued in about setting my Clip to optimized for performance.

MojoPac doesn’t *require* that, by the way … it just recommends it.

makes huge diff. i also got it on thumb drives … makes the biggest diff

Message Edited by amkoas on 01-03-2008 05:25 PM

amkoas wrote:

makes huge diff. i also got it on thumb drives … makes the biggest diff

Hence my original post at the top of this thread.  :wink:

no, i was talkin bout mojo now//

The topic of this thread misses the essential: it’s a Windows-related trick. Disabling write-caching and other read/write buffering can be performed with other OSes, though.