Sorting podcasts oldest-newest

Can someone give me a clue as to how to get ogg-vorbis podcasts to be sorted so that they are:

1. all in one list

2. oldest first (I have no idea why someone would want to listen to more recent editions, before they have caught up with the older ones)

I have tried all of the following, with some success, but the sorting has still eluded me:

1. set the ogg-vorbis genre to AUDIOBOOK (this lets them appear in the ‘audiobook’ category, in the hope that this, unlike podcasts, was not sorted ‘newest first’)

2. set the names of the files to start with the date in YYYY-MM-DD format (this should mean that, sorted alphabetically, they should be in the right order)

3. set the track titles to start with the date in YYYY-MM-DD format (see point 2)

4. set the track album to be ‘podcasts’ (so all of them appear in one list)

5. set the tracknumbers to be consecutive numbers from 01 to 04

I now have: ogg-vorbis podcasts in a single list that plays through from beginning to end (without having to listen to all of the podcasts from one source, before listening to all of those from the next source, etc.) BUT I still cannot get the oldest ones to appear consistently at the top of the list.

Any ideas? (if anyone is interested, I also have a number of linux shell-scripts for automatically downloading the podcasts, setting the tag information and transferring the files whenever the clip is plugged in)

This is one little quirk with the Fuze that drives me batty: it inverts my usual oldest > newest (now isn’t that a natural progression?) podcast order. 

If I miss a podcast episode, it’s natural to highlight the desired track, and let the device continue from there to the latest.

I have to watch that screen carefully.

The update to the Fuze came after the Clip (and I have switched to podcasts on the bigger machines lately).  The Clip likes to invert the order too?  So the bad habit started early, I see…

Bob :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 07-15-2008 07:32 AM