Songs skip, and then they don't

Strange bit of behavior from the Fuze.

I listened through an album, set the Fuze aside, and tried to listen through the album again. It started skipping through the song: a few seconds, a pause, a few more seconds of music from later in the song, and on and on–kind of like someone bouncing a needle across an LP, for those of you who still remember LPs. 

I turned it off fully, turned it on again: same. Took out the 8GB (SanDisk) MicroSDHC card, played a song from internal memory since the other skippy albums had been on the card: same. Put the MicroSDHC card in again, database refreshed, same.

Used Reset to return to factory settings: same. 

Connected to the computer, clicked around it, realized it was in MTP instead of my usual MSC. Disconnected, changed the USB mode back to good old MSC. 

And now it works just fine. 

Go figure. 

Did it again. This time, it suddenly started to Refresh Database in the middle of a song playing back, then shut down. Turned it on again, skipping–not only in songs but a voice recording.

Turned off, on again, still skipping. Took out MicroSDHC card, still skipping. Put card back in. Turned off. Refreshed Database again. And no skipping. So it’s not MSC/MTP related either.

Try reloading the firmware. In the past some have had trouble with a different brand of mp3 player where the firmware in the player became corrupted. The cause of this was unknown. After reloading the firmware the wierd behavior was gone. So even if you have the latest firmware in the player, imo it is worth reloading it again and see if this helps.

Are you using variable bitrate files? If so, try constant bitrate files 192 kbps or higher. Many who had problems had problems with 128 kbps constant bitrate files, or variable bitrate files, especially those averaging under 192 kbps.

The issues with VBR are supposed to be addressed in the new FW scheduled to be released this month.  So you might want to hold off on converting for a few weeks and see if the new FW solves the problem.

All my files are VBR in the 160-192kbps range and I’ve never had a problem, but it does seem to be a legitimate issue for many people.

It is fixed in the next update.

No IT’S NOT.

That behavior persists to this day.

For me there were two problems, both mechanical:

1. The headphone plug was not all the way in the jack due to the thickness of a silicone case. That was the “skipping.”  Nothing to do with VBR.

2. As for the refresh, this is an annoyance of the Fuze design. Pressing the << control at the edge of the wheel loosened the microSD card behind it, which made it refresh. Solution: press << nearer the center of the wheel, not the edge. 

@roj wrote:

No IT’S NOT.

Not for me.

@roj wrote:

No IT’S NOT.

Not a problem for me either.

@black_rectangle wrote:

For me there were two problems, both mechanical:

1. The headphone plug was not all the way in the jack due to the thickness of a silicone case. That was the “skipping.”  Nothing to do with VBR.

1. As for the refresh, this is an annoyance of the Fuze design. Pressing the << control at the edge of the wheel loosened the microSD card behind it, which made it refresh. Solution: press << nearer the center of the wheel, not the edge. 

For #2, I have not experienced that problem. Sounds like a defective device. Maybe you can return/exchange it for another one.

I have a very similiar problem. I just bought a brand new Sandisk Sansa Fuze 8GB and I put all my songs in my fuze and almost half of my songs skip like a scratched CD, they dont even play for one second. Some of these songs I have are downloaded from youtube so maybe that’s a factor why…but I dont know what the problem is because I had another mp3 just a while ago, a Creative Zen PLus 4gb, which worked fine, all my songs (whether from youtube or ripped from CD’s) worked on it. I checked the songs on My Music before I put them on my Fuze to see any problems, and they should all be compatible, they are MP3 and WMA format. I also saw if the file was blocked so I checked the songs that skipped and they said “This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer”…so I unblocked them and retransferred them into my Sansa Fuze, but still the same problem. Please help!!!

Those songs are not skipping. They are being skipped.

As in your duplicate post, please explain how they were “downloaded from YouTube” and turned them into mp3s.

You may have added copy protection at some point by accident. Or you may be trying to play .flv files, which is what are on YouTube. 

Pick one post to continue the thread, and try not to double-post.