Something wierd going on with my fuze

I have an 8 gig sansa fuze. When I first purchased it I synced the unit to windows media player, downloaded, then deleted those songs from my computer after being put on the fuze. I later found this wouldn’t work for me as when I tried to download new songs, the fuze would sync and discover all my previous downloaded songs weren’t on the computer anymore, then proceed to delete those older songs from the unit. Someone told me not to use windows media anymore, just open a window from my computer and a window from my music and drag and drop. Anyways, I bought an 8 gig micro sd card and I’ve been downloading all my songs onto this instead using the drag and drop. When I access the card thru my computer, I show one file: Various Artists -> Fav Singles -> song list. I might add that I edit all song information before downloading to fuze, i.e. making sure I have the name of the group, the song title, and then I change the album name to Fav Singles. When I look up the same sd card in the fuze, it shows 2 different fav singles files and several of the songs in both files are titled in Chinese. When the sd card is in the computer sd slot, it is in American like it is supposed to be. Why would this be? How can I get these 2 files combined and those few songs written in American?

I might want to add that neither of these files are part of the fuze’s internal memory. Both are part of the sd card that shows up as 2 files when placed in the fuze, but one file when placed in the computer’s sd slot.

What do you mean by “written in American”? I didn’t know there was a language called “American”. Are you maybe refering to spanish? it’s the most spoken language in America. Not in all countries, though.

@ssorgatem wrote:
What do you mean by “written in American”? I didn’t know there was a language called “American”. Are you maybe refering to spanish? it’s the most spoken language in America. Not in all countries, though.

I think “American” is like English but without line-breaks.

Excuse me for my mistake. Meant to say ENGLISH. You guys are tough! Just wanted a little advice. You took the time to write afterall. Do you feel superior now? You could’ve answered the question too. This board has been nothing but a waste of time.

" have an 8 gig sansa fuze. When I first purchased it I synced the unit to windows media player, downloaded, then deleted those songs from my computer after being put on the fuze"

This is not a good thing to do. I recommend not doing this unless you are very short space on your pc, AND you also wrote copies of your files to DVD R disks or some other backup. It is easy enough to get a problem with your player, and be required to format it, losing the music on it. Some people think they don’t need backups since they have the original CDs, but making mp3 files again from hundreds of CDs would be very time consuming and not fun. That is why I make backup copies of my mp3 files even though I keep them on my pc and keep all the original CDs.

Get Windows Media Player out of the picture. You don’t need it. 

In Settings/System Settings/USB Mode put it in MTP, open Windows Media Player and copy the files from the unit onto a PC or drive, just to store them for a moment.  Delete your Fav singles folder once it’s empty.  MTP is the mode that allows WMP to control the unit. 

Then switch  to USB Mode/MSC and just drag-and-drop files onto either the internal memory or the card. Make any folder or folders you want.   MSC makes the unit and card slot work like two basic thumb drives.

About the Chinese characters: It’s probably about how the tags–the information the Fuze reads from the mp3 files about Album, Artist, Track Number, etc.–are written.  Tags can be encoded various ways, and the Fuze can’t handle all the ones that your PC can read, so it sometimes displays weird stuff. Albums ripped by different programs write the tags differently.

Get the free and excellent mp3tag.

Install it, checking the box to add it to Windows context menus. 

In Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg set Write to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.  (The Chinese characters probably come from tags written in the other choices, UTF-8 or UTF-16.) Save that change. 

Now right-click on a folder of one of the albums that was giving you trouble, and under Search… you’ll see mp3tag to open the folder. It will list all the files in the folder.

Highlight them all. Assuming they’re listed, top to bottom, in the order you want them to play, go to Tools and use the Auto-Numbering Wizard. Check Leading Zeros, which will number them 01, 02, 03. (A lot of ripping programs use 1/12, 2/12, etc.–the Fuze stumbles on those.) Run the wizard, and you’ll have both nicely numbered tracks and ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 tags that won’t show weird characters. 

It takes about 5 seconds for an entire album. The Fuze should be more flexible in the kinds of tags it accepts, but this is an easy way to deal with it. 

Thank you so much for all this information. It amazes me that there are people out there who know all this stuff (like you) who are willing to take the time to help the people who don’t (like me!). Your instructions were clear and concise, and I had no problems at all with the step by steps you provided.  What I have to say that was most appreciated was that you were genuinely nice about it (my original post really brought them out of the woodwork!)  So, thank you again, this time for not calling mention to my faux pas. Mea Culpa!