Some navigation and podcasts questions

Hi,

I just got my 4gb clip and I love it!
I already updated my firmware and I got a few questions. Your help will be appreciated.

1. Is it possible to browse through all songs by some artist, without going through the intermediate “albums” level?

2. When I listen to a podcast, how can I view the total or remaining time of the podcast? Isn’t it possible to change the display to show remaining time etc.?

3. How can I listen to podcasts continuously? Currently, although all podcasts are “physically” in the same folder (Podcasts…) each of them is shown in separate “folder” on the clip, and when a podcast ends no other podcast continues.

Thanks,
Cherry

Hi Cherry. Welcome to the Forum. Let me take a shot at your questions.

1. Is it possible to browse through all songs by some artist, without going through the intermediate “albums” level?

Click the Home button > select Music > click the center Select button > select Artist > click the center Select button > scroll up or down till you see the Artist you want > click the center Select button > click on Play All. You should now be able to click >> and << to browse through all songs by that artist.

1. When I listen to a podcast, how can I view the total or remaining time of the podcast? Isn’t it possible to change the display to show remaining time etc.?

This has been requested by many users on this forum, but has not yet been implemented.

1. How can I listen to podcasts continuously? Currently, although all podcasts are “physically” in the same folder (Podcasts…) each of them is shown in separate “folder” on the clip, and when a podcast ends no other podcast continues.

The way I do it using MediaMonkey is to create a playlist called Current Podcasts, put the podcasts I want to listen to in that playlists, then sync the playlist to the Clip. You’ve discovered one of the problems with the way the Podcast folder works using the current firmware (1.01.29). If you listen to the podcasts from a playlist rather than from the Podcast folder, you should be able to listen to them continuously.

HTH

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I hope these issues will be fixed soon. This will make the difference between a good player and a great one.

I really don’t like spending any time creating playlists etc. - I like to drop my podcasts into the player and deal with them on the go.

Thanks again for the reply.

Once the “Go list” bug is fixed, you can easily add podcast episodes to the list on the go.

I have a large podcast list in Media Monkey. I have a smart list that lists everything in the podcast folder with most recently added tracks at the top. If that list is small enough, you can just sync it to the clip and go. You can limit the size of the playlist when you create it.

I prefer to be a bit more interactive. It’s still fairly quick. I just grab new episodes off the top of the auto playlist and add them to a regular playlist. That way, I know my favorite daily podcast (Buzz Out Loud) will play first, and so on. Just drag new episodes to the top, sync and you’re off. That way, you can choose to drag an older episode you’ve missed to the top. When you get home, just delete the tracks you listened to during the day from the top of your manual list and start over. The auto playlist is always kept up to date. No need to look at the podcast subscriptions unless you think there may have been a problem downloading episodes.  NOTE:  You will have to pay for Media Monkey for the advanced playlist options but it’s well worth it.

I love Media Monkey and the Clip.

Tim

Message Edited by telliott on 05-24-2008 09:40 AM